Favorite non spyderco knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Favorite non spyderco knives?

Post by MacLaren »

Hinderer, Medford, Busse Combat
& the older model ZT's for sure.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Before I found the Spyderco Native Chief in S90V, I carried two ZT 0095TanBlk S90V knives. They are about a quarter of an inch shorter. I still have them.

I like a ton of different knives. I'm always looking too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wocket

Post by wocket »

Large Sebenza +1

Also really like the Demko AD20.5. Fits my hand well. I bent my clip a little so the ripple textured G-10 doesn't shred what's left of my pockets.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

In my limited experience so far my favorite non Spydies have been made by Hogue. The Deka, Ritter, and K320 are all excellent.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:31 am
Buck has some knives that I really like, such as several updated versions of the 110.
I'll always have a special place in my heart for some of the classics made by BUCK knives. A few years back at one of the BLADE Shows I got to meet the late Chuck Buck in person. He was like talking to your next door neighbor. BUCK knives are like a piece of true Americana. I also cut my knife loving teeth on Ka-Bar, Queen and Ontario knives in my younger days.

When I did finally get into some of the premium brands of blades in the mid 90s I actually bought a few Benchmade blades at first. But when I got my first 3 Spyderco blades in 1995-96 I never looked back after that.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:31 am
Buck has some knives that I really like, such as several updated versions of the 110.
I'll always have a special place in my heart for some of the classics made by BUCK knives. A few years back at one of the BLADE Shows I got to meet the late Chuck Buck in person. He was like talking to your next door neighbor. BUCK knives are like a piece of true Americana. I also cut my knife loving teeth on Ka-Bar, Queen and Ontario knives in my younger days.

When I did finally get into some of the premium brands of blades in the mid 90s I actually bought a few Benchmade blades at first. But when I got my first 3 Spyderco blades in 1995-96 I never looked back after that.
Yeah, I was into BM for a while. The blade fell out of one of them. When I came back to Spyderco they had newer models that just hit the right spot for me.

Buck has a new 110 Sport. It has torx construction, aluminum frame, green Micarta scales, and S30V steel with thumbstuds. It looks highly interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

just checked out that 110 and it looks nice.

if they moved the lock release forward and had an opening hole I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But closing 110's one handed is a bit awkward, and I'm not big on thumb studs.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a plain 110 sometime soon. Haven't had one in the collection for a while and I miss having one. Wouldn't be my EDC but I'd carry it here and there when the mood strikes. Perfect size for a pocket knife, great ergonomics and they cut very well. It's a classic for a reason.
:unicorn
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Crk, Hinderer, microtech, benchmade are my favorites. I'm really digging my new Socom elite I just got!....
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Victorinox
CRK
Quiet Carry
Hinderer(waiting for a 3” non -flipper to drop or appear on r/knifeswap•bladeforums knife exchange)
Strider PT(still looking…rare bird)
Microtech UTX85 (wishlist)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I know this is slightly derailing the thread but I must have 10 Spyderco Knives that I want and I will be buying them before I buy elsewhere.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
benben

Post by benben »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:17 am
I know this is slightly derailing the thread but I must have 10 Spyderco Knives that I want and I will be buying them before I buy elsewhere.
I know exactly how you feel, I REALLY want a Hinderer Skinny Sheepsfoot but there's just too many Spyderco's in the way for me!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Bulk of my knives are Spyderco . I have some Benchmade I am very fond of but my Gerber Sportsman 3 is easily tops over my Buck 110 2dot , and Schrade LB7 . All three have personal connections but the Gerber probably why I lean so much to large beefy folders . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:00 am
just checked out that 110 and it looks nice.

if they moved the lock release forward and had an opening hole I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But closing 110's one handed is a bit awkward, and I'm not big on thumb studs.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a plain 110 sometime soon. Haven't had one in the collection for a while and I miss having one. Wouldn't be my EDC but I'd carry it here and there when the mood strikes. Perfect size for a pocket knife, great ergonomics and they cut very well. It's a classic for a reason.
There is an S30V aluminum frame version without thumb studs. It looks like the original, but a lot lighter.

Buck has had trouble with lock rock on their mid lock knives in past years. I don't know if they sorted that out, or not.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I took a 112 apart back in the day and the lock interface isn't squared off like a Spyderco. Lock bar is shaped like this where it sits into the blade:

\_/

So I'm not surprised they're still dealing with that. There's also less steel to steel contact.

I never had any issues with the lockup on mine besides a little wiggle but I trust spydercos more for hard use.
:unicorn
Flash

Post by Flash »

Been using a micarta QSP Hegdgehog a lot since January.
Simply amazing knife for their price point that ticks a lot of boxes for what I look for in a slip joint. QSP have opened my eyes to just how good Chinese knives can be.

JackWolf Big Bro Jack. A firm favourite of mine. Like the direction this company going.

After using these two I’ve reached the conclusion that Full height Hollow grinds on slip joints make so much sense.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Any tips on a lower priced 4” belt knife? Something with a “broomstick” style handle
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The civivi qubit has upset and destroyed me. I got it over 3 weeks ago and I haven’t carried another knife since.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My work EDC for a while now has been the Civivi Baby Banter. I like it enough that I got a second one. It feels very good in-hand, and it's small size does not make the knife muggles at work nervous.

My 1st was a regular Nitro V blade version that I added aftermarket space kitty scales from Knafs. My next is my current favorite with a Damascus blade & Unlocked Composites contoured carbon fiber scales with tweezers.
Attachments
CiviviBabyBanter.jpg
DamascusBabyBanter.jpg
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

A Benchmade Limited Edition Griptilian from Sportsman’s Warehouse.
Attachments
IMG_4875.jpeg
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I like Moras and my Tops Fieldcraft. The Tops is definitely overbuilt, but for something so stout, you'd be surprised how well this thing deals with lots of cardboard. I do like my Izula too, but I don't find it to have super well executed geometry, still it works fine and is very easy to carry around. It is always in the opposite pocket of my Endura when I go out.

Also I have fallen in love with higher end kitchen knives. Planning on getting a hand made custom soon.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb