S90V & Blue G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

S90V & Blue G-10

Post by weeping minora »

I was wondering about this particular wonderful combo.

Perhaps sal, or Mike can chime in here, but are the S90V & Blue G-10 variants delegated to Bento Box Shop exclusives.. exclusively? It has been a long while since we've seen that combo get a release (AFAIK strictly through BBS..), and I'd LOVE to see a Military 2 catch that suit one day (SOON!)!!

Can this combo run as a sprint run, or will it have to be run through BBS as an exclusive?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
shunsui

Re: S90V & Blue G-10

Post by shunsui »

They sold kinda slow.

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have not seen anything in S90V released in a while. Being one of the best stainless steels I am fairly surprised myself. If the price was right I would not mind getting a Sage or Native 5 in it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

You can pick up a C81GPTL2 and dye the scales for less money than a C81GP2.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

For BBS prices, they would definitely sell out slowly. Not to mention, many folks really dislike BBS with their business model. My question was is this combination a possibility as a sprint run, or is this a strictly limited colorway reserved for BBS exclusive runs?

I've always liked that color of blue G-10 coupled with a satin blade. Military 2 would be the knife I'd want to see catch this color combo.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FYI, BBS’ pricing aside, the Smurf blue Military Model silently introduced the stepped pivot (elsewise, the pivot bushing) to the model. CQI in action.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't think so.

There was a Blue Manix 2 sprint before I think Bento even existed.
There was also a Dodo and a Yojimbo 1. Not sure if those were sprints or what.

As far as I know, any dealer could request any color and steel if it were available. It's not like Orange is reserved for Cutlery Shoppe. I've never seen anyone with anything Jade except Blade HQ, except maybe the... what was that thing called, leaf storm?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Misconstrued post; deleted.

Brant

Post by Brant »

I think a native 5 light weight in this blue with a DLC S90V blade would look good.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Donut wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:08 pm
I don't think so.

As far as I know, any dealer could request any color and steel if it were available. It's not like Orange is reserved for Cutlery Shoppe. I've never seen anyone with anything Jade except Blade HQ, except maybe the... what was that thing called, leaf storm?
Those Sprints were S30V, not S90V. I believe Blue/S90V is exclusive to BBS. And I think BBS actually pre-dates the Manix2. I could be wrong about that, though.

Any dealer could request any combination of color and steel, but they would only get it if it weren't already contracted by someone else.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:51 pm
Donut wrote:
I don't think so.

Those Sprints were S30V, not S90V. I believe Blue/S90V is exclusive to BBS. And I think BBS actually pre-dates the Manix2. I could be wrong about that, though.

Any dealer could request any combination of color and steel, but they would only get it if it weren't already contracted by someone else.
A blue G10 Manix2 did come out in early 2010, but it was, as you say, in S30V. Moreover, it may have been blue but it was not “Smurf” blue, a color that BBS has used for at least some of its exclusives, such as an M390 PM2, first released in 2012, and an S90V Military Model released only in 2013.

And, an S90V Military Model and an S90V Manix2 did come out in 2008 and 2009, respectively, but they had CF scales.

…according to Spydiewiki.

dan31

Post by dan31 »

I really wish BBS would order another run of the S90v Blue Military. Guessing it took too long to sell out.
Donut

Post by Donut »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:50 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:51 pm
Donut wrote:
I don't think so.

A blue G10 Manix2 did come out in early 2010, but it was, as you say, in S30V. Moreover, it may have been blue but it was not “Smurf” blue, a color that BBS has used for at least some of its exclusives, such as an M390 PM2, first released in 2012, and an S90V Military Model released only in 2013.

And, an S90V Military Model and an S90V Manix2 did come out in 2008 and 2009, respectively, but they had CF scales.

…according to Spydiewiki.
I agree with everything you guys said.

I traded away my Blue Manix 2 last year or I'd show you. I think it was the same blue. I think that's kind of like the dark blue having the nickname blurple.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!