XL knives to look forward to

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

XL knives to look forward to

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve been off the coal face a bit when it comes to new models from Spyderco. Are there any XL (~4 inch or larger) models on the horizon?

I would dearly love a Magnacut Manix 2 XL, but can’t imagine the model is one of Spyderco’s highest priorities for the Magnacut treatment as it’s a bit big for most folk’s EDC. As an outdoor work knife it would be singularly hard to beat though - the Cru-Wear variant does a passable machete impression in a pinch, plus you can re-enact that famous Crocodile Dundee scene with it on your lunch break when your mate pulls out their dainty mini-Bu*#%t to cut their orange peel open.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Tristan_david2001

Re: XL knives to look forward to

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

If you like big folders, does the military 2 or stretch 2 xl strike your fancy?
:bug-red-white
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:32 am
I’ve been off the coal face a bit when it comes to new models from Spyderco. Are there any XL (~4 inch or larger) models on the horizon?

I would dearly love a Magnacut Manix 2 XL, but can’t imagine the model is one of Spyderco’s highest priorities for the Magnacut treatment as it’s a bit big for most folk’s EDC. As an outdoor work knife it would be singularly hard to beat though - the Cru-Wear variant does a passable machete impression in a pinch, plus you can re-enact that famous Crocodile Dundee scene with it on your lunch break when your mate pulls out their dainty mini-Bu*#%t to cut their orange peel open.
Native Chief is also coming in different flavors . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

not much. some millie 2 variants and a stretch xl salt some day.

wish xl knives sold better since for me xl models are regular sized knives. slim pickins these days.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:14 am

wish xl knives sold better since for me xl models are regular sized knives. slim pickins these days.
i think it's the fault of legislation. laws are too restrictive.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looking forward to the Manbug XL
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:48 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:14 am

It's annoying being affected by those laws even though I've never lived somewhere with a blade length restriction.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

When I sold 1/2 of my collection, I kept most of the knives that were 4 inch plus. A well designed and well made knife is hard to find, a large knife seems even harder. Most of the large knife offerings seem to come with steel that is not cutting edge due to cost so when I find them I try to buy them.

I don't worry about the laws since I'm not carrying most of them but they are around the house here.

Look for high quality and collect and buy it. No disappointments here. They last more than one lifetime and they can be passed down. YOU are just the current caretaker.

I hope that Spyderco make a Spyderco Native Chief XL, say 4.5 to 4.75 inch blade.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sometimes. I first got a Military from Knife Works in their really cool exclusive configuration. But it felt so **** big. Yes it was in violation of local laws, but I bought it anyways because I wanted a nice knife. The law said I couldn't carry it in public, but it didn't forbid me from owning one. However, it just felt like "too much". I formed my own opinions regardless of the laws. So I returned it (and I do regret that). Personal preference plays a big part in our purchasing decisions.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:23 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sometimes. I first got a Military from Knife Works in their really cool exclusive configuration. But it felt so **** big. Yes it was in violation of local laws, but I bought it anyways because I wanted a nice knife. The law said I couldn't carry it in public, but it didn't forbid me from owning one. However, it just felt like "too much". I formed my own opinions regardless of the laws. So I returned it (and I do regret that). Personal preference plays a big part in our purchasing decisions.
Meanwhile I bought a Delica 4 on everyones recommendation and disliked it enough to nearly write off the brand.

The S60V single liner Military that I bought for my second Spyderco, however, sold me on the brand.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:35 am
Meanwhile I bought a Delica 4 on everyones recommendation and disliked it enough to nearly write off the brand.

The S60V single liner Military that I bought for my second Spyderco, however, sold me on the brand.
There's no accounting for taste; we like what we like. I get the feeling that large-knife lovers are a minority in the community. Laws may account for this, but most laws don't prohibit ownership. Seems a bit facile to blame laws.

I talked about my experience with the Military, but I also got the Police 4 LW shortly after release. There was something about that knife that just resonated more than the Military. Is it the smaller overall profile? Is it the fact that it doesn't feel like "too much" in hand or in pocket? Or, did I just evolve in my preferences? I don't know.

I guess one thing I have learned in this hobby is that I do change. I can't believe some of the knives that I used to own or want when I first got into the hobby. I can only look back and laugh. What was I thinking? I may feel the same way about my current favorite knives a few years from now.

If you have written off large knives, it might be time to revisit them.

[EDITED FOR CLARITY]
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Military 2, Stretch XL, and Native Chief variants. A new Caly 4, as well as 4 inch versions of the Rockjumper/Leafjumper (I think the names are Cliffjumper and Sequoia), and then I believe another Chinook was mentioned (possibly looking at a switch to the Compression lock from the Powerlock).

Who knows if all of those make it into production, but I am looking forward to more news regarding all of them.

I’ll throw in the “Canadian Pen Knife”, which is a 3.5 inch version of the UKPK, just because it’ll be a bigger slipjoint that’ll probably be more comfortable to hold behind the choil for a lot more people, including myself.

I really like a lack of choil along with a self close on most knives, so I’m especially looking forward to larger Jumpers.

I kind of want to see what else Spyderco can do with the Powerlock, Stop Lock, and Ball Bearing Lock (caged or not).
As much I think they are or will be great knives, it sort of seems like the Compression lock replaced the former two locks. Just based on the original discussion about a Military 2 and that aforementioned possible Chinook.

Even beyond the lock mechanism stuff, there are several sorts of ~4 inch folding knives I’d be really interested in from Spyderco, but I do think there’s a good selection to look forward to right now.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I guess I'm running the borderline here in Illinois. I always carry a Spyderco Native Chief.

I live in Illinois. The law is not so clear as to what the maximum length is as far as I can tell. I do not think they like "self defense" or having mal-intent, and if they find out those are your plans they arrest you.

What Illinois has are laws that break down misdemeanors, felonies and special rights for those with a CCW. With a CCW you can carry an auto. Misdemeanors are for infringements of the law where the knife is under 3 inches, felonies for knives over 3 inches. There are more laws than that regarding knives, this is the simple/fast breakdown as I see it.

I only have one life and I plan to protect it. I'd carry a firearm if I thought it was really bad where I am, but I'm 40 miles away from Chicago and do not feel in danger most of the time.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
sal

Post by sal »

We've got a few in the works at 4.0".

I like 4"+ blades.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:32 pm

I like 4"+ blades.

sal
looking forward to seeing them. i'll keep an eye out!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Military has been my favorite knife for years. The first knife to compete with it for me is the StretchXL. Absolutely amazing! I also enjoy the Chief and Police4 but not quite as much as those two. I find that 4” is the perfect size folder for me. I eagerly await more knives that size as well as more variations of the StretchXL. I don’t have a Military2 yet because I doubt I will enjoy it as much as the original and I try to wait for a sprint/exclusive. When a Military2 variant drops I will be eagerly trying it out.

Luckily I don’t have to deal with nonsensical knife laws, not that I paid any attention even when I did.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Not to be forgotten: Police 4 LW, Yojumbo
Recently arrived: Resilience LW CPM S35VN, Military 2, Stretch 2 XL
On horizon: Native Chief LW

Of these, only the Resilience has an edge length greater than 4". The Yojumbo, Chief and Police 4 are all right at 4". The Military 2 and Stretch 2 XL are a little over 3.5" edge length.

Below horizon: Sequoia? Caly 4? Other?

Pocket knife size scale needs recalibration to acknowledge now long-extant developments and inventions. 4" is the blade length of a paring knife. With clips, modern materials and design, pocket knives need not be tiny knives:
- under 4" blade length is a small knife
- 4"-5" blade length is a medium size knife
- over 5" is a big knife
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:13 am
If you like big folders, does the military 2 or stretch 2 xl strike your fancy?
They will in a Salt variant - corrosion is the bane of my life here in the tropics. Stuff literally rusts in my pocket over the course of a morning at work 🤦🏼‍♂️
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:32 pm

I like 4"+ blades.

sal
Awesome, thanks Sal 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'm looking forward to the Stretch 2 XL Nishijin and eventual Salt.