Next Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TimButterfield

Next Spyderco?

Post by TimButterfield »

Hello everyone. Thanks for all of the threads on the forum. I've been lurking and learning for just a bit, recently here, but over on BF also.

My first Spyderco should arrive soon (PM2 Cru-wear/G10), but I'm already thinking about the next one. I bought the PM2 because I wanted to try the compression lock. The compression lock will be interesting as will the Spydie hole. I've played with different lock types from other brands and seem to have a preference for frame, liner, and back type locks over button and cross-bar locks. I also have some slip joints for something a bit more traditional.

I've been looking at the upcoming releases and saw one that was interesting, but didn't seem to be discussed much. It's the Stretch 2 XL with Damascus and Blue Nishijin scales. I thought of getting this once available, but wonder if it is considered 'too pretty to use' and should only be a collector item. I prefer users, even pretty ones. If I remember reading the forum threads correctly, this may be Sal's favorite size/model. Is there a reason this one should not be a user?

In addition to that one, I'm also looking at getting a Salt variant for a trip to the beach.

For a bit on intended use case: I could carry a smaller sized knife in a pocket, something like a Buck 501, small CRK Sabenza, SAK Cadet, or similar/smaller. For a larger knife, I would probably carry it in my bag. I don't mind pocket clips, but don't really use them. I have a desk job, so my knives are not used for my work nor are they really worked hard very often. For me, knives are fun, useful tools I like to have around. I use them mainly to open packages, cut food, etc. I rotate my daily carry and sometimes collect them.

So, my beginner collection of 3 Spyderco knives would be:
  • PM2 Cru-wear/G10
  • knife #2 ???
  • knife #3 - Salt ???
To broaden my experience with Spyderco, what would you recommend I get for #2 and #3?

Thanks for all advice.
Tristan_david2001

Re: Next Spyderco?

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I know Sals mentioned his favorite folders personally are the Caly and the military, I believe I recall seeing that he designed the straight spine stretch 2 xl for himself, weather that translates to his current favorite folding knife design or not, not sure. I recommend you just get what you like in order of what you like the most?
:bug-red-white
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

If you’re looking for a smaller pocket carry knife as well as a corrosion resistant knife for the beach, I would have to suggest something like a Salt 2, Dragonfly, or UKPK.
Out of the smaller knives in the Salt series, I think those will carry the best and be suitable for the use you’ve described.

To get any more specific, it would depend on your preferences regarding weight, edge type, blade shape, steel, etc.

Maybe look for the ongoing discounts on the Salt 2 wharncliffes in LC200N. Now’s a good opportunity to grab those great knives before they’re gone!

However, if you think the lightweight Native 5 Salt is a fine size (it’s only slightly heavier than the largest of the three aforementioned Salts and has a less subtle clip), I think it is the highest quality option. Disregarding pocket clips, it might actually have the best footprint in the pocket with its lack of hump.

If you are interested in that upcoming Stretch XL, I don’t think it would hurt to wait for it to come out. I think it should be fine for use in most situations.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks Tristan_david2001 and Cl1ff. Perhaps I should add some more info.

I don't have a local store that carries Spyderco, so I need to order 'blind' by mail and have it shipped. It gets to me eventually, but returns if I don't like it may be problematic. I don't have any experience with Spyercos yet. I need to look, research, and ask questions as needed and hope to make an okay choice. Even if I don't like something a whole lot, it's still okay to add to my collection. So, I'm not overly worried about making a bad choice. It's just guesswork, but hopefully an informed guess.

I don't mind a larger size knife. My hands fit an L size glove; don't need an XL for glove size. In my bag, I've carried a Buck 110 in a sheath, large CRK Sabenza, and others of similar size. I often have two or three in the bag and another one or two in the pocket. It only needs to be of smaller size for carry in a pocket, which are sometimes a bit dressier pants. I don't have any specific laws to worry about where I am at at the moment, but usually avoid autos just in case.

If it's okay as a user, I can wait for the upcoming Stretch. I should order the Salt within a few weeks to make sure it is here long before I take the beach trip. The Native 5 Salt (PE probably) may be a good option. I do prefer quality.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Right now the Sage 5 and Chaparral are on sale at most retailers. The Sage 5 is a smaller compression lock knife than the PM2. The Chaparral is a very slicey backlock and all around excellent office carry. The Stretch 2 or Endela are slightly larger backlocks if size is less a factor

The Manix is what I would've recommended as #2 except you mentioned crossbar locks not being your thing. If you change your mind, grab the SPY27 Manix 2 from National Knives.

For #3, the Native 5 Salt in LC200N from National Knives is the way to go.
- Richard
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, Richard, for the extra info.

I'll take a look at the Sage 5 and Chaperral. The Manix is attractive other than the lock. If I give up waiting on the Stretch, I could always try that to see if I feel the same about that lock variation. But, that is likely something I would add later if I build my Spyerco collection further.

Looks like #3 is firming up as a Native 5 Salt. Thanks for the vendor rec also. The few other places I had already checked were out of stock on that or maybe that was just the MagnaCut version.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Fun fact about the Nishijin these stretches will be the last made ever with this specific material. Eric told us at the last amsterdam meet that this material was made specificly for spyderco many years ago. And every Nishijin made over the years was made of this same batch. Now after the stretch all stock will be gone. He did mention they will probably try to get a new batch but it will never be excactly the same as the current material...
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, apollo. That is cool. I like the look of this one, especially combining the Nishijin with damascus. I think I'll try for this one as my #2. If it takes too long to get it, I may end up with a #4 also. lol
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

This is how I would approach this:

1.) Cru-Wear PM2 G10 (is this the purple one from DLT?)
2.) Native 5 or K390 Endela Wharncliffe
3.) Native 5 Salt or Pacific Salt 2

Make sure you get a Native 5. It's a nice little knife that will complement your PM2. They're a good tag team and you'd have pretty good coverage.

If you go the salt route with the Native, try to grab a K390 Endela Wharncliffe. I would pretty much dedicate this to breaking down cardboard. The Endela would let you experience K390 and a wharny blade shape - I waited too long to give both of these a chance. I was afraid of rust and I thought the wharny was goofy looking. That all changed when I got to experience them.

If you go the non-salt route, KnifeCenter still has their Cru-Wear Smooth G10 exclusive in stock. I own 5 Native's and this one is probably my favorite. The only downside is you would be doubling up on Cru-Wear. See what the market has to offer and go with what makes the most sense for your situation. The Pacific Salt 2 is inspired by Vivi. He has a lot of great posts about this knife. I think you wanted a smaller salt knife, but don't sleep on the Pacific Salt 2. It is way lighter than you would expect despite the blade being longer than a PM2. Definitely check out Vivi's posts. He has a lot of great information about this knife. It is definitely resonating with me these days.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Native 5 in Magnacut will sort the salt out :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:24 pm
Fun fact about the Nishijin these stretches will be the last made ever with this specific material. Eric told us at the last amsterdam meet that this material was made specificly for spyderco many years ago. And every Nishijin made over the years was made of this same batch. Now after the stretch all stock will be gone. He did mention they will probably try to get a new batch but it will never be excactly the same as the current material...
In the beginning when the Stretch XL in Cruwear & Grey G10 was announced and I saw the EU prices I said "well nope".
But now that I actually bought it, I might just end up buying the Nishijin version :winking-tongue :rofl . I just need to check if it is Damasteel or Damascus.

I have little to no interest in Damascus, but Damasteel intrigues me.

As for not going off topic and answering the OP : If you're interested in a Salt I'd recommand trying both your first Salt knife and Native 5 at the same time ;) In either the Green FRN and LC200N steel or Yellow FRN and MagnaCut steel. It's an impressive design, with elegant curves and good ergonomics for little to medium size hands. Of course this is all subjective.
Would enter you're Small Sebenza / Cadet category.

There's also the Chaparral, which is more of a gentleman folder than can be found in a number of different handle materials. It's sturdy for it's size and weight and sports a full flat ground 2mm thick blade in CTS-XHP that is a true slicer.

The Watu, which is gonna get discontinued in 2024 (as well as the Carbon Fiber Chaparral) is another slicer. It's appearence is weird at first, but it's inherent to the pattern and once you have it in hand, you understand why !

Of course there's also the Delica, and I added the Brouwer to the picture even if it is already discontinued and harder to find. It's a good framelock in the same kind of realm as the Small Sebenza.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I think the Stretch XL with Damascus and a Salt of choice is an excellent plan. The fancy XL is only too pretty to use if you think it is... should be functional art.

For a larger knife it would be hard to ignore the Military as an option. The original liner lock and updated compression lock versions are both available. The original Millie is still one of the best large Spydies. I have not tried a Military 2 but it seems to have made a positive impression on many.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Welcome to the Forum!

So many good options to try.
Look and see if you have a brick and mortar close to you. Sometimes designs fool you until you get them in hand.
https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Pm2
Military
Shaman
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Best advice given to you was by JSumm . If possible check out some shops and handle some models and may fit your needs . How a knives fits in one persons hand can be total different in another’s hand , that makes neither right or wrong . If you are not fond of clips and sit at a desk all day may narrow your selection but again your decision. If I had that criteria a Chap , Dragonfly , or Delica would probably be something I would look at because they are small , thin , yet feel adequate for a lot of individuals. Welcome to the Forum ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Welcome!

Dittos on JSumm's advice. They can really surprise you in hand and in pocket. With a desk job, give the knife an in-pocket-sit test, and make sure it's still comfortable. Lots of my knives are no good for in-pocket-sit duty. Knives that are 'wide' or 'tall' tend to be offenders.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I'd recommend anyone get themselves either a Salt 2 or Pacific Salt (whichever fits their hand better) and then don't be frightened to beat the **** out of it. They are tough as old boots and definitely working knives rather than pretty ones :cheap-sunglasses
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Lots more comments and welcomes. Thanks, everyone!

Some of my earlier comments will come through once approved by a mod. Unfortunately, there are no brick and mortar stores where I am at the moment. So, thanks, Ramonade, for the comparison photo. That's quite helpful.

For pocket sit duty, if something turns out to be a problem while sitting, I'll just move it to the bag to carry. So, I can still carry it, just differently.

From the comments, I think I've figured it out. I'll get the Stretch when available for #2 as planned. For #3, I'll get the Native 5 Salt PE in MagnaCut. I did some research on LC200N vs MagnaCut. From what I've learned, if correct, LC200N excels in or near the water due to exceptional corrosion resistance. MagnaCut is almost as good at corrosion resistance, but much better at edge retention. Since my time at the beach is only for a week and I'm not normally around water, the MagnaCut will hold the edge better for longer while still having most of the corrosion resistance if I ever do get near water again. Finally, while waiting for my #2 to become available, I'll add a #4, Chaparral XHP/CF. For my wishlist, for deciding later, I added the Pacific Salt 2 and Salt 2 SE LC200N in case I ever find myself around water more often.

Thanks again.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:12 am
For my wishlist, for deciding later, I added the Pacific Salt 2 and Salt 2 SE LC200N in case I ever find myself around water more often.
Something to be aware of, as and when you get to the wishlist, is that the Seki-made Salts (Pacific & Salt2) will be coming in MagnaCut at some stage. Personally I can't wait for these to turn up because I think they'll make fabulous general purpose, ultra low maintenance knives.

That aside, have fun shopping!
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Thanks, Farmer. It's good to know. That's one of the reasons I chose MagnaCut for my Native 5 Salt, to have what you described, ultra low maintenance general purpose. But, if I move near the water again, I'll probably have another boat and will need the LC200N for that.