So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: So, Sal, is the Caly3 model extinct ?!

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

For me the lack of jimping on the Calypso’s doesn’t make me miss the jimping at all. I like the smooth feeling on my fingers but I’m still plenty locked in for any kind of cutting work I’d use a calypso/caly for
:bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:08 pm
Probably Carbon Fiber, though I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for soliciting opinions. I'll stock up on Calys even if they are carbon fiber, which is probably my least favorite due to the slick finish on my existing Calys, although if it's the CF/G10 laminate like is on the Watu, that's aces, it has a great feel with plenty of grippiness.

If you're looking for a crowd pleaser, this is from last year's survey of aficionados:

Attachments
Q8 handle material.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

If any of the other Calys get a remake, I really hope any choil can be made finger safe for closing, unlike the current 3.5.

I don't hate the Caly 3.5 carbon fiber, though I do which it had a slight texture to it instead of the gloss finish. I'm not sure why this is as I like the recent blue Nishijin Stretch 2 XL, which is also gloss.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If Carbon Fiber, I would hope for the peel ply version we see on a lot of other CF models today. It is just as nice to get in and out of the pocket, but with a bit of grip. The current glass like texture on the 3.5 is too smooth for my taste. The older 3 CF was good. The 3.5's design and ergos are so great it makes the scale material a non-issue. But CF in general is low on my list. Micarta or G10 would be great.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:29 pm
I heavily suggest linen micarta on steel liners for a more premium version, additionally with frn for the people who prefer frn and lighter weight,
Very excited to see these new models sal. Thank you
Yessir, this please along with the frn versions.

Excellent news, Sal.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Micarta would be nice but I love Spyderco’s G10. Grippy yet doesn’t tear up your hand
Last edited by RugerNurse on Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:08 pm
My plan is to try to revive the Caly Family with a Caly 2.5", 3.0", 3.5", 4.0" and pendants. The maker is small and slower so it will be a while. Probably Carbon Fiber, though I'm open to suggestions.

sal
Sal, does this mean the 3.5 LW isn’t at the top of the list anymore? I recall that being mentioned as the next revival of the Caly line.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d love a micarta Caly 3.5.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:20 pm
Same here.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

From what I have, here are some CF variations. Though some components of the scales are similar, each texture is a bit different.
  • Chaparral G10 ply CF texture with raised bumps for grip. The wider spacing of the CF weave / bumps gives it a bit more texture than the Sliverax. The Watu is similar to this.
  • Caly 3.5 CF smooth gloss finish, slippery
  • Sliverax G10 ply CF texture, more even and smaller weave / bumps than Chap
  • Siren CF texture with nice grip
  • SpyOpera - CF smooth marble, some texture, smooth, but not glossy smooth
  • Subvert - CF marble texture with a little grip
The best grip texture of these are probably the Siren, Chap, Sliverax, and Subvert. The Caly is the smoothest with the SpyOpera in second.

Tristan_david2001

My cf Caly 3.5 doesn’t feel ‘glossy’. It feels very smooth I agree. Maybe it’s just me when I think of gloss I think of like the smoothness of glass, which is smooth enough that it doesn’t make a sound to scrape your finger nail on. Sounds kinda like I’m scraping chalk on my cf Caly. I find it to be a soft smooth to the touch. But I do have an older production cf 3.5. I’m not sure if they have switched to actually putting a ‘gloss’ finish on the carbon fibre.
I think it’s a nice material.
The cf and original black linen micarta have been my favorite handle materials released in the calypso line as of right now. The original micarta was the best imo
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:07 am
My cf Caly 3.5 doesn’t feel ‘glossy’. It feels very smooth I agree. Maybe it’s just me when I think of gloss I think of like the smoothness of glass, which is smooth enough that it doesn’t make a sound to scrape your finger nail on. Sounds kinda like I’m scraping chalk on my cf Caly. I find it to be a soft smooth to the touch. But I do have an older production cf 3.5. I’m not sure if they have switched to actually putting a ‘gloss’ finish on the carbon fibre.
The cf and original black linen micarta have been my favorite handle materials released in the calypso line as of right now. The original micarta was the best imo
They switched it at some point. We discussed in another thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but your 3.5 has a similar texture to the Caly 3 CF? Which I agree is extremely nice. And has just enough texture to lend some grip.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:44 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:07 am
They switched it at some point. We discussed in another thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but your 3.5 has a similar texture to the Caly 3 CF? Which I agree is extremely nice. And has just enough texture to lend some grip.
Hey Jeff, I was under the assumption the caly 3 cf was the same as the 3.5 in terms of source and way it’s finished. I’d be interested to know more how the newer ones have changed, it doesn’t appear to me that they’ve added any glossy coating over the cf though?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:06 pm
Hey Jeff, I was under the assumption the caly 3 cf was the same as the 3.5 in terms of source and way it’s finished. I’d be interested to know more how the newer ones have changed, it doesn’t appear to me that they’ve added any glossy coating over the cf though?
The newer 3.5s have a very glossy almost glass like finish. Someone recently compared it to the Stretch 2 XL Nishijin scales. The pictures below are what I previously posted. Hard to see in a picture, but you can kinda see the shine. Subtle but big difference in hand.

3 on the left and 3.5 on the right. There is texture on the 3 and completely smooth on the 3.5. I dropped the 3.5 on asphalt. The scales broke a bit on an edge and kinda flakes up. Never have I seen that before. Reminds me of the Ontario Rat CF scales if you have ever handled those.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Meadowlark wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:38 am
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:20 pm
Same here.

Didn't I read that the upcoming Calys will be screw construction? Thought I did. In which case, you can have the handle material of your choice!

IF this is true, then I'd vote for a less expensive default scale material that CF, and let those who want, to pimp their knives with expensive aftermarket CF, or micarta, or whatever, if that's what they desire.

I think I'd actually prefer mundane G-10 on a stock Caly.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:29 pm
I heavily suggest linen micarta on steel liners for a more premium version, additionally with frn for the people who prefer frn and lighter weight,
Very excited to see these new models sal. Thank you

Both proposals are great and just for me more desirable than cf.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Just got this UKPK in the mail. First Caly-family model I've owned in a while. Crisp action that's stiff in the right places, good centering, good grind. "Plastic" handles but nice ones, as I've come to expect and enjoy from Spyderco's FRN. Honestly just a solid product and a good deal with PM steel and US manufacture for a hundred bucks.

I'm hopeful the revived Caly3/3.5 will be as well executed; if it is I imagine it being pretty popular.

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Tristan_david2001

I stumbled upon this video from the internet, and thought that’s pretty interesting, a blue g10 calypso. In case anyone wanted to know what one looks like. I like it.
I hope the original calypso and jr models don’t fade away for good, I love the all fishscale frn, g10, micarta, stainless versions. Even harder to find than the calys nowadays. But I really love them and think they should deserve a sprint run once in a while. I’m most excited to see the what the new 2.5” and 4” Caly designs look like though. I’m hopeful it will be an effective revival for the design family.
Attachments
IMG_4347.jpeg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 am
I stumbled upon this video from the internet, and thought that’s pretty interesting, a blue g10 calypso. In case anyone wanted to know what one looks like. I like it.
I hope the original calypso and jr models don’t fade away for good, I love the all fishscale frn, g10, micarta, stainless versions. Even harder to find than the calys nowadays. But I really love them and think they should deserve a sprint run once in a while. I’m most excited to see the what the new 2.5” and 4” Caly designs look like though. I’m hopeful it will be an effective revival for the design family.
Can you share the link to the video?
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:01 am

Looks efficiently compact for its blade size. Glad to see Spyderco making compact models.