The Sage: A stellar EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

The Sage: A stellar EDC

Post by Netherend »

IMG_4284-compressed.jpeg
Nobody told me that the sage was this good. Ok just kidding. A quick google search of the sage 5 will bring you to plenty of forums , reviews or ratings that all praise the sage 5 for being a great edc.
The sage 5 has been on my buy list for a long time and I am glad that I picked a carbon fiber / g10 model up before they were no longer available . The sage 5 really is a stellar design.

Blade shape: do you like the Manix but prefer to carry something smaller? Do you love the chapparell but find that it is on the smaller side for your edc needs?
Well then the Sage is your solution.
I absolutely love the blade shape of the sage, Manix and chap. It is strong, comfortable to hold and efficient.

Blade thickness:
Is the para 3 too thick for its size?
Is the delica too thin for its size
Does the kickback of the native 5 not do it for you?
Well then the sage is your solution
The blade stock is closest to the native 5 . It’s plenty thin and slices well

Style:
The sage 5 is what happens when the para 3 gets dressed up for a formal event while still being ready to roll up it’s sleeves and get to work.

Carry- the clip is awesome. It has a low profile and sits perfectly in pocket. No need for an after market clip with this one.

Value: I slept on this one too long. This is absolutely worth it’s price . Fit and finish are on par with the native g10 if not better. I’d place it above the para 3 as well. The action was smoother than the para 3 g10 and para 3 LW and that says quite a bit considering how smooth the action is on a para 3.

Rather than bore you with more of my happy rant, I figured I would share some comparison photos .
IMG_4267-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4266-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4264-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4263-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4261-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4260-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4258-compressed.jpeg

I apologize for the duplicates. I uploaded this post on my cell phone in the sunlight .
Attachments
IMG_4257-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4259-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4262-compressed.jpeg
IMG_4265-compressed.jpeg
Just one more knife...
ramblinwreck

Re: The Sage: A stellar EDC

Post by ramblinwreck »

Couldn’t agree more. I picked up a Sage 1 Maxament and Sage 5 CF recently from the discontinued sales.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sage platform is great. I know the series showcases lock types, but it is too good to always be on the discontinued chopping block. There always needs to be a Sage in production lineup.

I too plan on picking up one of the discontinued models before they are all gone.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the Sage club!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

The only thing stopping me from buying a sage is that dang wire clip. I just can't deal with that clip style. It's the only thing I regret about my sliverax
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:13 pm
The only thing stopping me from buying a sage is that dang wire clip. I just can't deal with that clip style. It's the only thing I regret about my sliverax
You're welcome. Go forth and prosper.

https://www.lynchnw.com/spyderco-standa ... anium-clip
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sage--it's really good. Put the Sage on diet & exercise, and you get a Caly 3.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm curious, what don't you like about the wire clips?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Yep, also picked up my first Sage with the discontinued sales. Very impressed.

If you told me I could only keep one 3" blade folder from my current collection... Well, I probably haven't owned it long enough to say it's the winner, but I'm pretty sure it's in the top 3 already.

kobold

Post by kobold »

What could match the Sage 1 in Maxamet? Maybe a Sage 2 in Magnacut?

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:07 pm
They're flimsy! Right off the bat, the clip on my Sliverax is already bent just from me using it as a brace to open the knife
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:30 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
They're flimsy! Right off the bat, the clip on my Sliverax is already bent just from me using it as a brace to open the knife
We all our personal preferences and reasons for liking or disliking certain things and that's ok. I've been using the wire clips on various models for several years and never had an issue and haven't found them to be flimsy. I like them because they look nice and help the knife to slide in and out of my pocket easier. I like the hourglass (spoon?) clips too but usually have to adjust them to make the knife easier to get in and out of my pocket.

The alternative clip from Casey Lynch would be great for you
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ImHereForTheMilitary2

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:46 am
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:30 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Yeah I'm definitely going to look into that clip it looks cool

We all our personal preferences and reasons for liking or disliking certain things and that's ok. I've been using the wire clips on various models for several years and never had an issue and haven't found them to be flimsy. I like them because they look nice and help the knife to slide in and out of my pocket easier. I like the hourglass (spoon?) clips too but usually have to adjust them to make the knife easier to get in and out of my pocket.

The alternative clip from Casey Lynch would be great for you
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I might have to try a Sage now. Manix is my favorite big knife but I tend to carry the Native 5 or PM3 more around the office. Like the Native 5 slightly better but wish it had a bit more thumb ramp and the action/lock of the PM3. Seems like the Sage might check all those boxes.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:13 am
I might have to try a Sage now. Manix is my favorite big knife but I tend to carry the Native 5 or PM3 more around the office. Like the Native 5 slightly better but wish it had a bit more thumb ramp and the action/lock of the PM3. Seems like the Sage might check all those boxes.
It really does fit that perfect spot between the native 5 and para3. It really reminds me of a more refine smaller Manix. The handle is more neutral than the Manix or native. It is closer to the para handle.
IMG_4256-compressed.jpeg
Just one more knife...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Robust and classy. The Maxamet has been one of my most carried knives lately. Still hoping for a Sage2 in 10v!

You guys know I'm a super fan

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I only have 4. My favorite is the S30V Sage 1.

I hope Spyderco makes a Sage 4 lightweight. My Native 5 feels awkward standing in during family pictures :grin-smiling-eyes
sage group 03.jpg
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The classic Al mar style handle with the ti bolsters and iron wood is incrediblely beautiful, please don’t lightweight it…. I wish spyderco would just do more sage 4’s like they did that one.
:bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really like the sage. i've never owned one, but i've handled them. the only thing that keeps me from getting one is that i can legally carry a manix. when i want a smaller and lighter knife, i've been carrying a delica, but also have an ikuchi that fills that role well.

one of these days, i'm sure i'll end up with a sage 5 lw, but it'll probably be when there is a compelling steel available. nothing wrong with s30v at all... it's just easier to justify the cost of another new knife when i'm also trying a new steel out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C