Black blade for Para 2 left handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aldorado

Black blade for Para 2 left handed

Post by Aldorado »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum (as forums in general), so be easy on me...

I just got my para 2 left handed version and was looking around how to customize it to my liking.
I am really digging the black blade look of the dlc coated blades, which are not available for the lefty version.

After researching a lot of videos on acid etching, I realized that people are not going for very dark tones.
So I wonder if acid etching can get my s45vn closer to the black dlc look or if it always just be grayish.

I really like the wear on the dlc coating and I wonder how the acid etched blade is going to wear with time. You only see mint blades online. Does anyone have pictures of used acid washed knifes?
TazKristi

Re: Black blade for Para 2 left handed

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Aldorado:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Aldorado wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:07 am
Hi everyone,

I just got my para 2 left handed version and was looking around how to customize it to my liking.
I am really digging the black blade look of the dlc coated blades, which are not available for the lefty version.

After researching a lot of videos on acid etching, I realized that people are not going for very dark tones.
So I wonder if acid etching can get my s45vn closer to the black dlc look or if it always just be grayish.

I really like the wear on the dlc coating and I wonder how the acid etched blade is going to wear with time. You only see mint blades online. Does anyone have pictures of used acid washed knifes?
You may just want to opt for a normal pm2 with DLC. I have friends that are left handed and when they handle my m2, pm2, or even para3 they don't have a problem with the lock location. They just use their thumb to release the lock and let the blade choil fall on their index finger (kinda like what most of us do when closing a back lock). I'm sure with some practice it'll feel like 2nd nature to you.

Its your call, but that seems to be the path of least resistance (and cost) until they come out with dlc lefty model.

EDIT: BTW Welcome to the forum! And don't worry about people going easy on you. You do you and ignore the ones that have a problem with you if that should ever occur. They like to complain, but its not their call if you get to stay or not.

:cheap-sunglasses
Guts

Post by Guts »

Here's a Para 3 of mine with a stone washed acid etch and some wear, but not a ton of wear. As you can see, it'll definitely pick up scratches in the finish. I like the look of the acid etch and plan to do a few more knives but haven't gotten around to it.

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Aldorado wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:07 am
Hi everyone,

Welcome ! As a lefty I understand your wants but realistically I don’t think it will ever happen . I have purchased dedicated left hand Spyderco knives whenever released and thankful when released . I have both variants of the PM2 , once accustomed to a righty it is adequate but not as natural . There are dealers who offer this type of acid etch services if that would be an alternative.MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

As another lefty I understand. But like the others in this thread, manipulating the standard PM2 just takes a bit of practice. It very quickly became 2nd nature to me. I am actually waiting eagerly for the Military 2 in Digicam and DLC and have no qualms about the "right hand" lock.

If you really, REALLY want a DLC blade for your lefty PM2, there are some craftspeople out there who will do your blade, for a fee of course. You just ship the blade to them. A few will disassemble and reassemble your knife for an additional fee. I have found that there are far more who will CeraKote your blade than DLC it. Do a bit of googling.
Nate

Post by Nate »

A factory dlc, blacked-out left hand pm2 would be a personal grail. Sadly I think too many lefties are happy to adapt instead of buying up the satin lefty PM2s (& Millies) they made and demanding more.
:spyder:
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Nate wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:12 pm
A factory dlc, blacked-out left hand pm2 would be a personal grail. Sadly I think too many lefties are happy to adapt instead of buying up the satin lefty PM2s (& Millies) they made and demanding more.
I agree if the PM2 and Millie lefties were always sold out that would be a possible catalyst to bring out other variations . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:29 am
Nate wrote:
I agree if the PM2 and Millie lefties were always sold out that would be a possible catalyst to bring out other variations . MG2
Given your name, and the fact that the manix is the only true ambidextrous model line (that isn't a back lock) I thought for sure you'd take the opportunity to advocate for him getting one! Lol
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:12 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:29 am
Nate wrote:
Given your name, and the fact that the manix is the only true ambidextrous model line (that isn't a back lock) I thought for sure you'd take the opportunity to advocate for him getting one! Lol
Nate just so happened to help me find a Lefty PM2 when they were scarce. I also wanted to stay on the subject . Although I have many Manix knives I do have other models I appreciate . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Aldorado

Post by Aldorado »

Thanks for everyone's input.

I really love my PM2 and even though I am comfortable using it with both hands, the left handed lock is just more natural, save and fun to play with - so maybe I just get over it and stick with the satin blade. Maybe down the line I will grab a para 3 dlc ... even though I am new to knives, I already got that you can never really have too many of them.