Food Grade Protectant for Tool Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Food Grade Protectant for Tool Steels

Post by Bolster »

"Butcher Block Conditioner" is a food-safe combination of mineral oil, bee wax and carnauba wax. I've just started using it on my M4 knives which didn't, and still don't, have patina. It's too soon for me to know the long-term effectiveness but in theory this should be a better food-grade rust inhibitor than mineral oil alone.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 9.24.15 PM.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
skeeg11

Re: Food Grade Protectant for Tool Steels

Post by skeeg11 »

I use Boo's brand butcher block conditioner. Good stuff. Pretty much the same thing. Food safe and good for all the wood handled 1095 still in my kitchen knife blocks as well as endgrain butcher blocks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've used the Butcher Block because I use it on my cutting boards and counters and it is handy. However, I more often use Vaseline. Interestingly, the wonderful Thiers Issard straight razor company in Thiers, France, recommends Vaseline by name for protecting their delicate carbon steel razors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
fixall

Post by fixall »

I’ve tried a LOT of food grade protectants over the years, and tsubaki (camellia seed) oil is still the best I’ve used on blades. It’s been for hundreds of years as a cooking oil, and steel protectant in Japan.

If you want to try a more long-term, harder wearing, wax based protectant…. I’d recommend giving Axe Wax a try. I’m not the biggest fan of using waxes on blades personally though. Axe Wax is a true hardening wax, so it’s more like a finish, than a coating like bees wax, and most other waxes. For instance, when you use it on a knife handle, you can wash the handle several times with soap and water, and the protection remains. .
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Do you guys know about EDCI? It's what Shawn Houston from BBB uses.
https://edciformula.com/
Anyone else have experience with it?
Alex
Scientia et pax
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have a butchers block as an island in the kitchen (and was a butcher for 20 years.)

Funny when visitors ask for a bread board because they are too scared to cut on it :winking-tongue

Just good old cheap mineral oil on knives and timber.
I keep an old square of a T-shirt soaked in it in a snap lock bag handy for application.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

No idea if it works well on knives but it does work well on cutting boards I make.
IMG_5091.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that looks like it smells good.

i use frog lube paste. i have two little tubs of it and they will likely be used by my grandkids' grandkids with how little it takes to coat a blade and how infrequently i need to.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:45 am
it does work well on cutting boards I make.

Yeow! That's gorgeous. It reminds me of Frankenstrat. The difficult part about your cutting board would be using it the first time and making that first cut.
blues

Post by blues »

Inexpensive pharmaceutical grade mineral oil is all that you need.
- Retired from the chase -
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Frog Lube for me.
Stas

Post by Stas »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:39 am
I use EDCi almost exclusively. Forgot about sticky oily blades long ago.

Also have KPL Knife Shield which should clean and protect in the mean time, but haven’t tested it yet. Someone here told it it not that effective at corrosion resistance.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:42 am
that looks like it smells good.

i use frog lube paste. i have two little tubs of it and they will likely be used by my grandkids' grandkids with how little it takes to coat a blade and how infrequently i need to.
I use the same. Got a container of it that will easily outlive me. I even used it to lube my Delica instead of nano oil. With a lock back you really can’t tell the difference.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the butchers block conditioner idea.

I use Vaseline, and find it convenient because it is a solid in the jar and does not leak/spill. Cheap and easy to find too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve moved back from all the supposedly better stuff to mineral oil and petroleum jelly because they work and because keeping up with US Navy Seals is too exhausting.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Stas wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:37 pm
alphaneuron9 wrote:

Also have KPL Knife Shield which should clean and protect in the mean time, but haven’t tested it yet. Someone here told it it not that effective at corrosion resistance.

Tell me more about EDCi;
do you use it like the same amount as oil?
zero rust? zero patina? how often? rub it it with finger like oil or swab? does it function as lubricant as well? you say not sticky like oil... I don't particularly find oil as sticky, more like luricant - slippery... do you mean its more like watery? I don't know, just take the microphone for a bit...

I live on an island and really go for the rust resistant steels. However... 15V has my attention. Looking how to protect it before getting it.
Alex
Scientia et pax
Stas

Post by Stas »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:12 pm
Stas wrote:
alphaneuron9 wrote:

Tell me more about EDCi;
zero rust? zero patina? how often? rub it it with finger like oil or swab? does it function as lubricant as well? you say not sticky like oil... I don't particularly find oil as sticky, more like luricant - slippery... do you mean its more like watery? I don't know, just take the microphone for a bit...

I live on an island and really go for the rust resistant steels. However... 15V has my attention. Looking how to protect it before getting it.
Hello everyone, Stas here on the stage. Nice to see you this evening! :) I mean oil makes the blade sticky to collect lint and anythig. EDCi dries completely. Not patina or rust so far. I use FLITZ microfiber cloth for the application. How often, it depends on your use. I would say, yes, like oil: you can reapply after cutting something or just every few months for stored knives.

Not sure about EDCi as a lubricant, I use KPL and Nano oil for this. But where I spray my blades, the part of the floor is dry but more slippery indeed, so probably it may work as a dry lubricant as well :)

And now I give a microphone to the EDCi owner: “A note to those watching that haven’t used EDCi before: spray directly onto the surface you want to protect. Rub in well with a microfiber cloth. Wipe dry with the same microfiber cloth. That’s it. If you cut something, reapply to the edge since cutting removes material, so anything on the surface will be removed as well. If using outdoors in wet conditions, wipe dry when done and reapply. EDCi is for all metals, stainless steels (stainless can still rust), carbon steels, etc and slows down patina greatly on brass, nickel, copper and bronze so they’ll look new longer.”

Hope that helps:) cheers
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I use KPL knife shield and so far no rust or patina on Maxamet, 15V, 10V or Cruwear. This has been a hot humid summer in the mid Atlantic so it seems to be working.

I do try to dry them off when needed but I don’t baby them either.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

Been using Ballistol for years and it has worked well for my tool steel blades…
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Stas wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:39 pm
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:12 pm
Stas wrote:
alphaneuron9 wrote:

Tell me more about EDCi;

Hello everyone, Stas here on the stage. Nice to see you this evening! :) I mean oil makes the blade sticky to collect lint and anythig. EDCi dries completely. Not patina or rust so far. I use FLITZ microfiber cloth for the application. How often, it depends on your use. I would say, yes, like oil: you can reapply after cutting something or just every few months for stored knives.

Not sure about EDCi as a lubricant, I use KPL and Nano oil for this. But where I spray my blades, the part of the floor is dry but more slippery indeed, so probably it may work as a dry lubricant as well :)

And now I give a microphone to the EDCi owner: “A note to those watching that haven’t used EDCi before: spray directly onto the surface you want to protect. Rub in well with a microfiber cloth. Wipe dry with the same microfiber cloth. That’s it. If you cut something, reapply to the edge since cutting removes material, so anything on the surface will be removed as well. If using outdoors in wet conditions, wipe dry when done and reapply. EDCi is for all metals, stainless steels (stainless can still rust), carbon steels, etc and slows down patina greatly on brass, nickel, copper and bronze so they’ll look new longer.”

Hope that helps:) cheers
very much. thank you
Alex
Scientia et pax