Montana Knife Company

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

Montana Knife Company

Post by RugerNurse »

Anyone tried the speedgoat from them? Would be a nice lightweight hiking knife. I’m not a fan of paracord wrapped handles but willing to try if if it’s not super thin
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
standy99

Re: Montana Knife Company

Post by standy99 »

They are a great size for a skinner.
Pretty strong on customer service offering life time sharpening. IIRC

Here is a good article

https://www.knivesillustrated.com/monta ... e-company/

I actually get emails from them but they don’t ship to Australia.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I like it. Comes with a sheath and pre-wrapped with 7 feet of paracord.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:52 am
I like it. Comes with a sheath and pre-wrapped with 7 feet of paracord.
The blade shape looks very useful for a variety of tasks. How thick is the handle? Like delica handle thick or less?
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I don't own one, I just looked it up.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:12 am
I don't own one, I just looked it up.
Sorry, thought you had one lol. I’m going to grab one. Looks like a great lightweight hiking knife. Good for food prep on the trail and fishing.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Some nice knives on their website.

I emailed my nephew the story about the bladesmiths career path.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Here's one unwrapped. I haven't used or sharpened it yet, and I haven't really decided what to do with it. The handle, wrapped or unwrapped, is not hand-filling enough for me. Leave it unwrapped, re-wrap it, or try to fashion scales for it? I'll probably shrink-tube it, since I bought it for fishing. I wish it came with contoured handles like their other offerings.

It's also the dullest knife I've purchased in years. Surprised the heck out of me.

RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:41 am
Here's one unwrapped. I haven't used or sharpened it yet, and I haven't really decided what to do with it. The handle, wrapped or unwrapped, is not hand-filling enough for me. Leave it unwrapped, re-wrap it, or try to fashion scales for it? I'll probably shrink-tube it, since I bought it for fishing. I wish it came with contoured handles like their other offerings.

It's also the dullest knife I've purchased in years. Surprised the heck out of me.

That’s discouraging to hear. Maybe it was a lemon. I’m know they are trying to keep blades in stock so maybe the quality suffered a bit. I’ll be curious to see how the handle fits, I just ordered mine. The company said they are testing some scales to put of this model. Hopefully we can buy them soon
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 am
The company said they are testing some scales to put of this model. Hopefully we can buy them soon
I hadn't heard this. Great news!
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:27 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 am
The company said they are testing some scales to put of this model. Hopefully we can buy them soon
I hadn't heard this. Great news!
I think there are a ton of people that will pay for them. They probably have gotten a lot of requests for it.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Received my speedgoat the other day. Very nice thin geometry. Paracord wrap is ok, fine for short jobs. Would be uncomfortable for long use. I did confirm with the company that they will be releasing scales for it next year. Will be curious to try some.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I just got a 'Speedgoat 2.0', and this thing is going back. It feels cheap and flimsy. The parkerized finish is just NOT the move for a blade finish, IMO. PVD coatings are much smoother to the touch.

Yes American company, yes lifetime warranty, I get it. This thing is just flat overpriced.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:02 pm
I just got a 'Speedgoat 2.0', and this thing is going back. It feels cheap and flimsy. The parkerized finish is just NOT the move for a blade finish, IMO. PVD coatings are much smoother to the touch.

Yes American company, yes lifetime warranty, I get it. This thing is just flat overpriced.
Wow. Did it come dull too?
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I ended up selling my speedgoat. The edge was super thin and sharp but the handle was very uncomfortable. Maybe for skinning it would be ok but not for hiking.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:24 pm
Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:02 pm

Wow. Did it come dull too?
No, it did come sharp. And the sheath is pretty nice, I guess.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:45 am
I ended up selling my speedgoat. The edge was super thin and sharp but the handle was very uncomfortable. Maybe for skinning it would be ok but not for hiking.
I had mine out of the box for all of 5 minutes before I repacked it. I have an RMA already, now to find someplace to print 'just one page' in 2024 :rofl
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I put heat-shrink tubing on my Speedgoat to try to make it useable for fishing or, really, anything. I also put a 15-degree edge on it, and it's now more than shaving sharp.

I planned this as a trial run, since I really wanted yellow tubing but already had black on hand. You can see it's dimpled in a couple places and the trim is a little jagged, but it came out good enough that I'm going to try it for awhile and see if it's worth buying some yellow tubing or just blowing it off and waiting for Montana to release their aftermarket scales. Or blowing it off altogether and selling the knife. Problem is, it's almost weightless, and SO thin! Every time I pick it up, I want to carry it or cut something with it...

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Use the daylights out of it Coastal 😎