I sure would like something new...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

I sure would like something new...

Post by Bolster »

Spyderco, I sure would like something new; my interest is flagging a bit.

Having said that, let’s enumerate the blowback I’ll get for uttering this sacrilege:

1) You don’t need more knives, you don’t even use all the knives you have.
2) Don’t be impatient. You need to learn patience. Be patient. MORE patient. I said MORE.
3) Just buy another color or steel version of a Spyderco you already own.
4) Spyderco is expanding; how selfish of you to ask for something new at a time like this.
5) They already have some new stuff, haven’t you seen the new G10 colors?
6) All the great designs have already been produced; just go buy a disco’d model.
7) He's obviously an enemy of Spyderco for saying that; get a rope and swing him!

And yet, all these rejoinders don’t help. I still would like something new—a blockbuster. Remember the rush you got when the Manix 2 was first introduced? Or when the Paramilitary was introduced? Or (in my case) when I got my first Caly Jr? Or when your Ayoob v.2 was delivered? Yeah, I’m yearning for that kind of a fix. I’m flexible. A Manix 2 in Magnacut would do it, but so would a CBBL Sage or any number of new designs. Thanks for listening, and I'll see you at the gallows that I'm sure are being prepared for me as I press 'submit.'
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Re: I sure would like something new...

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m hoping that the huge disco will open the doors for some fresh designs . I have more than enough to keep me occupied but a few more is always welcome . Since patience is part of your issue maybe meditation and yogurt may help . 🫣 Buddy Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Come on, this isn't going to be any fun without a link to a collection photo so we can tell you what you're missing :thinking

:tonque-out
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I agree with Dan. Mass discontinuation hopefully points to expanding production availability.

Also...

8.) Have you tried customizing them to make them new and your own?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I agree and I’ve been singing this tune for a while now as well. I used to get giddy with excitement scrolling through the Main and Mid-year catalogs because of how many new designs they showcased. I’m ready for some actual new designs again! I’m personally just not so interested in blade shape, color, or lock variations anymore.
-Nick :bug-red
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Maybe they could bring back more old stuff like the Rubicon for a run or two. I think the Goddard sold well.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’m hoping for a new high end model like the Paysan next year.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I'm with you. A Sage 6 with the CBBL is what I want to see. Or I'm down for old or previously discontinued stuff reintroduced with new steel.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

While you wait, go and buy a CRK to clean your palette. 😄
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Y'all can keep holding out for the next best fling, but I think over the years, I've narrowed my search within the vast catalogue that Spyderco has offered and I'm a happily married man to a select few women (knives). My eyes are always open for prospects, but I've found the love(s) of my life.

Seriously though, irregardless on what the horizon is yet to bring, this thread will pop up year after year in expressing disinterest in the "stale" models and choices that we already incessently and obnoxiously get to sift through day-in, day-out. Mondays new-new is Tuesdays old-old. Everyone is too darn jaded these days to think that maybe all they may really be missing is a connection to the things that they already own, in the here and now. Hold hope for the future, but let the future come when it comes and enjoy your here and now. Build a connection to the things that you have, and not so much of a fleeting collection to things that you'll never let become something special.

Rant over.

Funnily and hypocritically enough, the biggest draw for me to the forum anymore are the MULE TEAM releases. I was never interested when I first joined the forum years ago (it was slowly crawling into hibernation, then), so I suppose it's a new concept for me to express excitement in the same old iteration being run in, an albeit, stripped down "variation on the theme". Until something brand new comes, I have the present to enjoy.

Perhaps it's time for a break for a while? I've been there, done that, many, many times, just here on these forums alone (amongst my other interests, hobbies, etc.). Only so many steps can be tread down the same path before that "wonder and lust" starts to diminish. I think we can all agree on that, to a large extent (although I'm often finding myself very, very wrong in my thoughts here on these forums, hahaha!).

Remember, this is our hobby, not our livelihood. Sometimes a step outside and a walk down a trail untrodden for a breath of fresh air can oftentimes solidify why we return, remain, or remove ourselves when regarding the path that we're on (understanding and accepting the current interest in our chosen hobbies). Appreciation, joy, and fulfillment are my priorities for keeping a hobby "stoked". If not, life's too short, I'll find, or make something, worth my time. That's the one thing I can't complain about, nor pay, to get more of; the time that I have left to enjoy what I do get enjoyment out of. Your Mule May Vary.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I am not bored at all, but I do agree that new is cool.

We are aware of some new stuff that hasn’t been seen in reveals yet, including “in house” and collaborations.

I know there is a thread dedicated to talking about collaborations we’d want to see.
I have been meaning to mention a maker there, but hopefully you don’t mind if I say it here first.

The Spyderbyte got me thinking about backlock variations again. It’s something I have pondered a lot.

A Spanish knifemaker, Miguel Barbudo, makes some very interesting traditional style knives or navajas. Many of their knives are also somewhat “modern traditional”, but are more importantly all very unique.

His variation of the backlock is especially intriguing and clever to me.

It makes the operation quite different to Spyderco’s iterations and more similar to traditional variations. However, they are one hand operable and even without the need for your fingers to cross the blade path.

I’ve compiled my favorite examples from Barbudo’s Instagram, just to have them in place.

I’m not necessarily asking for a Spyderco version of any of these exact models (although that would be neat), but a collaboration incorporating some of the unique features of those knives would be very desirable to me.
Particularly the functional form of those “hooded lockbacks”.

Aside from the interesting mechanism, the designs and quality of the knives are beautiful.
I also admire the rich cultural tradition knifemakers like this keep alive.

Miguel Barbudo does occasionally collaborate with production knife manufacturers, but i sincerely think his designs are potentially compatible with Spydercos in a number of ways that I’m sure are recognizable to the forum. Spyderco has a lot of experience with lockbacks and I think could expertly bring that into a collaboration with Barbudo.

First model:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BohtEbxgEnF ... BiNWFlZA==

Second:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BinYu3agWEu ... BiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfjgBXKFlgi ... BiNWFlZA==

Third:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0OGSo2Fyss ... BiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5dp63gCSa4 ... BiNWFlZA==
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:58 pm
Spyderco, I sure would like something new; my interest is flagging a bit.

Keep your pants on, cowboy.
The new reveal is just weeks away.

However, I agree with the need of a Magnacut Manix... as long as it's LW and SE.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

weeping minora wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:17 pm
Seriously though, irregardless on what the horizon is yet to bring, this thread will pop up year after year in expressing disinterest in the "stale" models and choices that we already incessently and obnoxiously get to sift through day-in, day-out.
No and yes.

No, this theme didn't used to pop up so frequently. I'm an old timer on the forum and malaise was hardly an issue when Spyderco was constantly churning out new, exotic, startling designs. One would hardly get accustomed to one year's crop when the next year's crop was upon you, filled with striking new creations, and inciting fierce desire to own so many unique designs.

Yes, this theme has been more prevalent of late; I'm far from the first to make it. Actually, that's my point and I hope Spyderco lends an ear.

Now it may be, that business dictates "stick to your knitting" and "do only what you do best" and perhaps the tremendously creative designs of years past were not selling sufficiently (though it's hard to argue that the tremendously creative designs of the Manix 2, for example, or the Paramilitary, didn't sell sufficiently).

In that case, I guess my problem is that I remember the years of amazing creativity and variety and miss them. But I don't know how you create the next superstar knife without putting out lots of variety and letting 'survival of the fittest' take its course.
weeping minora wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:17 pm
Funnily and hypocritically enough, the biggest draw for me to the forum anymore are the MULE TEAM releases.

Same here!! I think the mules have become (in a somewhat illogical way) my outlet in a desire for more diversity. Even though the design of each is exactly the same. It is an odd thing.

And I think your advice to "step outside and get some air" is good advice, and I intend to take it!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

My knife joy has been collecting knives I like and modifying them (Mostly Spyderco knives) but also designing and making my own knife designs. With the help of others some are getting production but I have so many designs that I would love to see made some day. I would try designing your own knives and making some custom knives to see how the process works and have the satisfaction of seeing your ideas come to life. Don’t totally rely on Spyderco to make all your knife wishes come true. Sal, Eric and team have done more than their share of industry innovation. I would hate to see the knife world without them and am grateful they are doing and have done what they have. Spyderco has been a major part of my knife hobby. ❤️👏
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To me the Rock/Leaf Jumper approach is pretty "new" and "fresh" - and while the RJ sadly got discontinued already again, I have high hopes for the upcoming (??) larger Cliff Jumper / Sequoia and then hopefully more variations based on that general idea...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brj

Post by brj »

I've been down this road before, in fact I'm still there ;) . The last (IMO) 'fresh' designs from Spyderco have been the Kapara/Ikuchi/Watu quite a while back (2019-2020). Past that moment I've only bought iterations/sprints of older designs (GITD Jester, Ayoob, StNick's Millie, etc). I have zero interest in the existing catalog and I have pretty much exhausted the 'customize what you have' approach as well. While I still enjoy using my existing Spydercos, I'd be really glad to see something innovative, quirky, fun and surprising (attached a more or less illustrative pic for what I have in mind when I say this) coming out sometime.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

video killed the radio star. we all know the demand for exclusives got so high that spyderco could barely keep their production models stocked. it was so bad they had to pump the brakes on exclusives to catch back up.

not saying you're guilty of this, bolster, but i see the complaints about spyderco doing nothing but releasing different colors and steel combinations all the time, yet almost every exclusive run sells out in minutes. they're making tons of money on those exclusives and it's driving the expansion.

i like to see innovative designs too, but i think the knife community is less adventurous than old school sypderafis. maybe i should say they're less adventurous when it comes to the type of unique spyderco produces, like the dodo or poliwog, for example. they seem to be more into crazy, weird-looking, futuristic designs from chinese companies, or more standard, vanilla knife designs. spyderco already pushes the limits of the latter.

what they have works for now and the exclusive thing is working as well. i hate to think of how many knives were missing out on because of exclusives, but i'm also buying exclusives i don't want to miss out on, so it's hard to be too upset about it. all that said, spyderco is innovation at its core and i don't think we'll ever stop seeing new designs and innovation, even if it slows for periods.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:24 am
not saying you're guilty of this, bolster, but i see the complaints about spyderco doing nothing but releasing different colors and steel combinations all the time, yet almost every exclusive run sells out in minutes. they're making tons of money on those exclusives and it's driving the expansion.

That's my understanding of the change in direction, too. It's just a different business model than before. Safer, more traditional, and more lucrative. I used to buy Spyderco for quality and wild new innovations. Nowadays I buy Spyderco for quality and past innovations. I understand the change and I'm very happy Spyderco is doing so well; it just doesn't stop me from wanting wild new offerings...once in a while...as in days gone by.

I hope my post reads more like a request than a complaint about their products, which are very good. I think Spyderco wants to know what's on the minds of its customers, and innovation is what's on mine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:24 am
..... I think Spyderco wants to know what's on the minds of its customers, and innovation is what's on mine.

Honestly: If Spyderco would not like posts like yours (but just to get only constant, non critical fanboy-praise), I would not like Spyderco as much as I do myself.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m now wondering whether I can use a Sharpmaker to sharpen my pitchfork….