8670M Steel ??

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
SAF-1

8670M Steel ??

Post by SAF-1 »

My first time posting here so please forgive my ignorance?? Has 8670M Steel ever been used for a Mule ?? I think that’s something I would definitely be interested in owning. Thank you
Giygas

Re: 8670M Steel ??

Post by Giygas »

List of Mule Teams, and the steels they each came in:

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=MT_Mule_Team
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Istn't that just a pretty basic carbon steel? What is interesting about it?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Looks like a A2

8670M steel equivalent
The closest steel to this alloy steel would be the A2 Alloy Steel they both offer the same level of toughness, hardness, and edge retention, and they’re both low in corrosion resistance, but if you had to choose between the two I recommend the A2 Steel.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I think the Aeb-l mule is a great alternative to look at instead. Triple B wrote the ht protocol and it's 63 rockwell from what I've heard. I've done controlled cut testing on mine and it hits way above its own weight. Very easy to sharpen, scored very high on my toughness testing, and edge retention is at Magnacut level plus it's stainless.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

I was under the impression from what I’ve read 8670M I much Tougher than A2 and for that matter a lot of other Super Tough Steels ??
Am I wrong to think this ?? And would it be a Waste to see it in a Mule ?? Thank you
standy99

Post by standy99 »

SAF-1 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:04 pm

I was under the impression from what I’ve read 8670M I much Tougher than A2 and for that matter a lot of other Super Tough Steels ??
Am I wrong to think this ?? And would it be a Waste to see it in a Mule ?? Thank you
It’s a tough steel that would be great for a camper or survival knife that can take a beating.
It’s not going to be easy to sharpen and has terrible corrosion resistance.

Taken from here
https://knifeuser.com/8670m-steel-revie ... e_vignette

Not really a new steel that the mule concept has been giving us lately. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Before my wife was run over by a drunk driver I was testing toughness on a variety of steels. I was using ice blocks as a test media and I was calculating how that would affect overall edge retention. I tested a variety of steels at a 1k edge finish to compare everything. I was working on magnacut and the Aeb-l mule when I got the call nobody should ever ever get. I have a few choppers and a few axes meant for chopping bcuz it's a better choice of tool for that task. I have alot more testing I'd like to get to but I just haven't had the focus on that. Especially since my Alice is still in critical condition still. However I like how well done the mule was done. H1 scored 130 on just the ice but when I used it to cut abrasive sanding rolls it scored very poorly. I never finished testing but I think the mule gives about 4x more in that department. I tested it at 400 at it was the same. Now if triple b didn't design the heat treat for that mule we might see much lower performance. However it's very comparable to magnacut from my testing. Plus it's available and stainless.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
mokele

Post by mokele »

Hey Steeltoez83,
Best wishes to your wife.
Will pray for her recovery. 🙏
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

By composition alone I don't see many parallels between 8670M and A2. A2 has 10x chromium and moly, 1/2x nickel, quite a bit more carbon (~30% more) and a sprinkle of vanadium (grain refinement and some wear resistance) that's missing from the 8670.

That article from knifeuser seems a bit simplistic, eg stating that 8670 would be hard to sharpen while being a simple carbon steel that tops out at around 61RC... So I wouldn't put too much weight on the opinions there as they seem plain wrong
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steeltoez,

Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.

sal
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Thankyou mokele and Sal for the kind words.
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

My Prayers to your wife and your Family!! Hang in there My Brother cuz Miracles do happen. God Bless you and your Wife 😜
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Your prayers are very much appreciated SAF. I'm restraining myself from posting pictures bcuz this is not the place for that. I would take a guess the driver was going 60 or higher when he crashed into her. And from her injuries ran her over. The medical staff at the first hospital couldn't believe she survived at all. From what we know it was a black pickup truck that did it.
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

ST, I happen to be a Fireman/Paramedic for 30yrs and I’m very familiar with that. But it obviously wasn’t your wife’s time !! So injuries aside ?? I praise God she’s still with you/us on this Planet 😜 So hang in there, the road to complete recovery ❤️🩹 might take a Minute?? But in my experience in this life always with bad comes good 👍