List of Taichung compression lock knives. Am I missing any?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

Alphabetically:

Amalgam
Canis
Caribbean (x4: leaf and sheepsfoot, plain or serrated)
Hanan
Ikuchi
Kapara (x2: s30v, 20cv)
Mantra 3
Rhino
“S” (Taipei?)(x2: black, stainless)
Sage 5 CF
Sage 5 LW (x3: s30v, satin m4, black TiCN m4)
Salsa (Taipei?)
Sliverax
Smock (x5: s30v, m390, 20cv, satin m4, black TiCN m4)
Szabo
Tropen
Watu

I gotta catch ‘em all haha. Also, I really hope they utilize the Smock button comp lock (and the Manix caged BBL) again someday.
Last edited by Spydiecologist on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current collection: 2x BHQ M4 Manix LW | 2x TKJ 20cv Manix LW | 2x BBB 15v Manix | BHQ M4 Manix | SNK 4V Manix XL | S110V Manix | SNK 4V Para 3 LW | KJ 20cv Para 3 | CS XHP PM2 Wharncliffe | BHQ M4 PM2 Tanto | REC 204p Shaman | BBB 15v Shaman | TKJ Cruwear Shaman | 2x Z-Wear Shaman | KC S90V Burlap Shaman | DLT Cruwear YoJimbo | S90V YoJumbo | Magnacut Native 5 LW | BHQ M4 Sage 5 LW | Sage 5 CF | 2x BHQ M4 Smock | DLT M390 Smock | 2x Sliverax | 2x Watu | Kapara | Tropen | SpydieChef | Matriarch 2 Wave | Meerkat V-Toku2/SUS410 | Pacific Salt H1 | Magnacut Mule

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/aLu7dYg

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
Michael Janich

Re: List of Taichung compression lock knives. Am I missing any?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Spydiecologist:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you're trying to assemble a complete historical list (including discontinued models), you're missing a few.

Stay safe,

Mike
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spydiecologist wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:33 pm

Alphabetically:

Amalgam
Canis
Caribbean
Hanan
Ikuchi
Kapara
Mantra 3
Rhino
“S” (Taipei?)
Sage 5
Sage 5 LW
Salsa (Taipei?)
Sliverax
Smock
Szabo
Tropen
Watu

I gotta catch ‘em all haha.

I think you have all the Taichung folders with Compression Lock (some have multiple models):

Amalgam
Canis
Caribbean (4 models)
Hanan
Ikuchi
Kapara
Mantra 3
Rhino
Sage 5 (2 models)
Sliverax
Smock
Szabo (2 models)
Tropen
Watu
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

I use that site a lot, but I don’t think there’s a comprehensive master list for knives of various lock types. I was kind of hoping to make one we could add!
Current collection: 2x BHQ M4 Manix LW | 2x TKJ 20cv Manix LW | 2x BBB 15v Manix | BHQ M4 Manix | SNK 4V Manix XL | S110V Manix | SNK 4V Para 3 LW | KJ 20cv Para 3 | CS XHP PM2 Wharncliffe | BHQ M4 PM2 Tanto | REC 204p Shaman | BBB 15v Shaman | TKJ Cruwear Shaman | 2x Z-Wear Shaman | KC S90V Burlap Shaman | DLT Cruwear YoJimbo | S90V YoJumbo | Magnacut Native 5 LW | BHQ M4 Sage 5 LW | Sage 5 CF | 2x BHQ M4 Smock | DLT M390 Smock | 2x Sliverax | 2x Watu | Kapara | Tropen | SpydieChef | Matriarch 2 Wave | Meerkat V-Toku2/SUS410 | Pacific Salt H1 | Magnacut Mule

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:48 am
Dear Spydiecologist:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you're trying to assemble a complete historical list (including discontinued models), you're missing a few.

Stay safe,

Mike
I am hoping to include discontinued models! Please add some if you have any off the top of your head and I will update the list :)

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There have been some Exclusives/Sprints of some of the Taichung models with Compression Lock. For instance, the Smock:
  • Smock CPM-20CV Black G-10 C240GP KnifeJoy (Taiwan)
  • Smock M390 Red G-10 C240GPRD DLT Trading (Taiwan)
  • Smock CPM-M4 Natural G-10 C240GM4P BladeHQ (Taiwan)
  • Smock CPM-M4 Black TiCN Blade Natural G-10 C240GM4PBK BladeHQ (Taiwan)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:35 pm
There have been some Exclusives/Sprints of some of the Taichung models with Compression Lock. For instance, the Smock:
Yeah, I haven’t gotten as far as adding the variants. I have the Smocks and Sage exclusive, there’s also a 20cv Kapara and some others I’m forgetting

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not to derail the thread, but your tag line comment that the forum won’t allow usernames with the word “Spyder” in it must be a newer rule since I joined (admittedly way back when)…

I think you have all the Taichung comp lock models listed BTW. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

I have updated it to include some of the variants listed here, thanks everyone!

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:25 pm
Not to derail the thread, but your tag line comment that the forum won’t allow usernames with the word “Spyder” in it must be a newer rule since I joined (admittedly way back when)…

I think you have all the Taichung comp lock models listed BTW. Cheers, Radioactive
Hmm maybe it was because “Spydercologist” has “Spyderco” in it and they didn’t want people making usernames like “SpydercoSales” and scamming people or something. I wonder if an admit could change mine since it’s obviously not trying to pretend to be a Spyderco employee or forum mod

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Exclusive folders with Compression Lock made in Taichung were (there may be more):

• Kapara CPM-20CV Grey G-10 C241GPGY DLT Trading (Taiwan)
  • Sage5 Lightweight CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C123PGRM4 BladeHQ (Taiwan)
  • Sage5 Lightweight CPM-M4 Black TiCN Blade Mint FRN C123PGRM4BK BladeHQ (Taiwan)

Also, I believe Salsa and "S" were not made at the famous Taichung plant but the one in Taipei.
Spydiecologist

Post by Spydiecologist »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:04 pm
The Exclusive folders with Compression Lock made in Taichung were (there may be more):

• Kapara CPM-20CV Grey G-10 C241GPGY DLT Trading (Taiwan)
  • Sage5 Lightweight CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C123PGRM4 BladeHQ (Taiwan)
  • Sage5 Lightweight CPM-M4 Black TiCN Blade Mint FRN C123PGRM4BK BladeHQ (Taiwan)

Also, I believe Salsa and "S" were not made at the famous Taichung plant but the one in Taipei.
I believe I have those listed, but that’s good to get confirmation on the Salsa and S. There must be some other Taichung comp locks I’m missing. I am surprised if this is all there is!

Spydercologist (PhD) 🕸🕷🔪