Just a pocket knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Just a pocket knife

Post by Doc Dan »

I have gone back to my younger days. I simply want a good pocket knife. Spyderco gave that to me with this slim, trim slip joint. It is nothing fancy and does everything I need a knife to do. I took the pocket clip off long ago and I simply put this in my pocket, where a pocket knife is supposed to be.

I have an orange one that takes a ride with me, too. I usually alternate, but if I am out someplace where I would not want anyone to notice the knife, the black one is the choice. Like I said, there's nothing fancy. No thumb holes, no thumb ramps (well, there is a micro sized one), no locks, nothing but a good pointy blade with some slicing belly.

Sorry about the dirt. This gets carried and used.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Re: Just a pocket knife

Post by standy99 »

The amount of times an old Delica gets picked over so many better flashy spyderco knives. It’s like a don’t want to think knife as I’m heading out the door. (Usually keep 5-6 knives in a bowl near the door)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

i actually love any of my FRN knives with with a back lock in a utilitarian blade shape.

They are simple and they work. That's all I need for the most part.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great choice Doc ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

My pockets are big enough for a Millie :D

Carried my first one clipless in fact, an old single liner S60V.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I carry a Spyderco down in the pocket like a traditional pocketknife, I leave the clip on, as it gives my fingers better purchase for one-hand opening. Especially on a knife as slim as my UKPK Salt. For me, the clip also doesn't add much noticeable thickness when the knife is down in-pocket.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Variety is not everyone’s spice of life.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yeah... I agree with the sentiment.

I always carry a Salt 2 (basically a lighter delica). When headed outdoors, I take a Pac Salt. Simple, rugged, lightweight, etc...
cjk

Post by cjk »

My pocket knife is unclipped in my pocket more often than not. I very much appreciate the selection of lockbacks and slipjoints in Spyderco's catalog. I do prefer one hand opening and always keep the clips on for leverage when opening. My father in law takes the clips off of every knife I gift him. Since he has recently lost the last one I gave him, I'm going to proactively take the clip off the next one before I give it to him. It will be a lil native lockback since he admired mine recently.
z1r

Post by z1r »

My favorite squirrel knife!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Dad would have loved it. I'm all about a clip and a lock. Whatever works, works.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I tried something like that this spring when I started getting the garden in - carried just a simple, single blade sodbuster slipjoint (a Maserin Plow) around the yard and house.

I think I lasted two weeks. One hand open, clip, and lock are definitely preferred for me (minor exception if I'm in slacks/suit.)

A Delica/Endura is about as basic of a knife as I want to carry anymore. I have some traditional pattern slipjoints but they're usually carried as companions to another knife, not on their own.

But much respect to those who are able to de-clutter and simplify their lives to that degree! I did enjoy the "simpler times" feeling of carrying just the sodbuster for a while (until I needed to dig in the bottom of my pocket with muddy hands, or open the knife to cut something I was already holding and didn't want to set down... :winking-tongue )

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I grew up with slipjoint knives and was very happy when better knives came along.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

One-handed opening and easy retrieval from pocket are profoundly compelling features. A lifetime in the building trades taught me that easy access to a tool is vital to efficiency on the job.

I like traditional pocket knives, but for utilitarian purposes a clipped Endela (or other Clipit) wins.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I love my Delicas, but all of them have the clips off of them, as well. I can't complain about a Delica and I do carry it as a regular pocket knife. I don't need, nor want, big and fancy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

z1r wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:02 pm
My favorite squirrel knife!
I think squirrels, rabbits, doves, and grouse hunting in my youth have a lot to do with my pocket knife choices so I understand your comment perfectly.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 am
The amount of times an old Delica gets picked over so many better flashy spyderco knives. It’s like a don’t want to think knife as I’m heading out the door. (Usually keep 5-6 knives in a bowl near the door)
[+1]

That is what I want to do too. A bowl or drawer full of Spyderco Native Chiefs in all different kinds of steels, all freshly sharpened and ready to go.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 am
[+1]

That is what I want to do too. A bowl or drawer full of Spyderco Native Chiefs in all different kinds of steels, all freshly sharpened and ready to go.
My bowl near the door. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

I get the feeling here but I don't understand the shot against pocket clips and one handed opening. What you do with your knife is your business, but why remove the clip? Its better to have it and not need it, right? You can keep the clip on the knife and not use it. Same goes for the spyder hole. You never know when you need to open a knife with one hand. And again, better to have it and not need it.

Like I said, I get the sentiment. I too yearn for the old days. But I just don't understand why you're calling out packet clips and thumb holes 🤷‍♂️
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I like 'em all.

And multi-tools.