T15 tarnish

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
hollowt1pz

Re: T15 tarnish

Post by hollowt1pz »

tcarltonw wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:39 am
I appreciate all of your replies but I think you've made your thoughts very clear. I'd like to hear from someone that could answer my questions about what is applied so I can look into it. Also, BKF was rinsed off after 10-15 sec and the guy who I go to for cerakote has already told me he sandblasts everything so I'm no longer worried about that. Hope all is well everyone.
It's a reaction between the feldspar in bkf, sodium -aluminum cations in the BKF and steel with the oxalic acid as has been stated above.

From the factory they would probably not be even light oiled but I can't say that for a fact. Either way, it's nothing to worry about. Anyone you are sending this stuff to to get cerakoted is going to, as stated above, media blast it. Totally normal and I actually use oxalic acid to clean rust. Not BKF but pure oxalic acid. I highly recommend it.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

hollowt1pz wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:37 am
tcarltonw wrote:
I appreciate all of your replies but I think you've made your thoughts very clear. I'd like to hear from someone that could answer my questions about what is applied so I can look into it. Also, BKF was rinsed off after 10-15 sec and the guy who I go to for cerakote has already told me he sandblasts everything so I'm no longer worried about that. Hope all is well everyone.
It's a reaction between the feldspar in bkf, sodium -aluminum cations in the BKF and steel with the oxalic acid as has been stated above.

From the factory they would probably not be even light oiled but I can't say that for a fact. Either way, it's nothing to worry about. Anyone you are sending this stuff to to get cerakoted is going to, as stated above, media blast it. Totally normal and I actually use oxalic acid to clean rust. Not BKF but pure oxalic acid. I highly recommend it.
Word, I appreciate that. And again, not worried about it past my anal retentiveness... the change that happened, immediately, caught me off guard.
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

tcarltonw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:38 am
hollowt1pz wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:37 am
tcarltonw wrote:

Word, I appreciate that. And again, not worried about it past my anal retentiveness... the change that happened, immediately, caught me off guard.
Hahaha you think I'm any different just look at my post history here man lol. I could tell you wanted a scientific explanation and just weren't getting it, and while I am far from the most educated person in the world I gave you what I KNEW.. I didn't want to start getting into things that I would have to remind myself of in chemistry so I'm sorry that I couldn't explain in more detail, but that's what the internet is for and I'm sure you can figure out the rest of it.

If you don't ask - how will you ever know? I learn stuff daily and I'm 53. It doesn't end! ;)
hollowt1pz

Post by hollowt1pz »

I just did this to show you - this is what oxalic acid does there's absolutely nothing to panic over its a very thin layer that is easily removed.

https://gyazo.com/2175e1cf75e20c215f7091451380f4f1

Now, as opposed to BKF, that discoloration is because I was using a brass (I said bronze 😭) brush. Or you'd see it all over the surface. The other stuff is the cations and ionic bs that I tried to explain very poorly. So yes, it's essentially melted copper and zinc oxide that fills the porosity of the CNC cut lines. Two entire different things are going on there so I don't want to confuse you.