Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Post by Stas »

Yojimbo 2 quickly became one of my favorite Spydercos in the mid-size category lately. However, I started thinking about alternatives for situations when I wear lightweight shorts or some nice chinos and need a knife with similar characteristics but a slightly slimmer profile and one that's less abrasive to the pockets.

Currently on my radar:

1. Delica 4 Wharncliffe – a big plus for me is that it comes with a trainer.
2. Rockjumper – no trainer, but the action should be good, and the FOMO is strong after Spyderco discontinued it.
3. Salt 2 Wharncliffe LC200N – the action might be the worst of all, but corrosion resistance is a significant advantage.
4. Microjimbo – could be a bit too small?

I'm okay with FRN, but I'll probably end up ordering micarta scales for the chosen one. I'm also aware that none of them will replace the Yojimbo 2 for me. Perhaps getting another Yojimbo and giving it micarta scales will solve the 'issue.' :)

I'm interested in your opinion and reasoning.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Blaine in the Rock

Re: Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

I have option 2 and am loving it, but I would go with option 3. That's a feather in your lightweight shorts. Shoot, get both.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The RJ is great in use but its footprint is roughly as big as a Yo2. Your observations are all correct between the D4 and Salt. Also the Salt has extra blade length. Microjimbo is designed to comply with 2.5" blade length laws. My verdict is Salt or Delica are equally fantastic and I am happy I own both. Some people like liners but I carry the Salt more.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Carried a Salt 2 wharnie at work the past few days and had to keep checking it was there — so light! The action was a bit stiff and gritty but after dropping the whole knife in some hot Rit dye (another advantage of Salts) it came out significantly smoother. I recommend it, such a great knife.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanks guys! Wow, Salt 2 is winning so far…
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Delica 4 wharncliffe in k390 is on insane super sale right now. ;)
Stas

Post by Stas »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:22 am
Delica 4 wharncliffe in k390 is on insane super sale right now. ;)
Not in my part of the galaxy, sadly…

And as much as I like K390 on my Endura, can’t see it fully shine on a ‘summer shorts’ kind of knife ;)
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

The Lil Native wharncliffe is an option that’s much smaller but still provides a 4 finger grip.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Just carry the Yojimbo IWB. Works a lot better with thin shorts.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

salt 2 wharncliffe.

the yojimbo grip was made to closely resemble that of the delica. the two will still feel different in hand, but the salt will be a knife you can carry iwb always, no matter what you are wearing and it will barely be noticeable. i'm still considering getting one even though i think i'd prefer the pe pacific salt 2 instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Stas wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:15 am
Yojimbo 2 quickly became one of my favorite Spydercos in the mid-size category lately. However, I started thinking about alternatives for situations when I wear lightweight shorts or some nice chinos and need a knife with similar characteristics but a slightly slimmer profile and one that's less abrasive to the pockets.

Currently on my radar:

1. Delica 4 Wharncliffe – a big plus for me is that it comes with a trainer.
2. Rockjumper – no trainer, but the action should be good, and the FOMO is strong after Spyderco discontinued it.
3. Salt 2 Wharncliffe LC200N – the action might be the worst of all, but corrosion resistance is a significant advantage.
4. Microjimbo – could be a bit too small?
The Yojimbo 2 has been my preferred personal carry for years & I have it on me whenever possible, but it is a bit on the chunkier side for sure relative to a lot of other knives with a similar blade length. During times when I only have room to carry something lighter/slimmer but I still want a knife that can loosely approximate the Yojimbo 2's handling & doesn't give up too much edge length, I carry a regular (non-Wharncliffe) FFG Delica 4.

The reason I opt for the regular Delica 4 as my Yojimbo 2 alternative instead of the Delica 4 Wharncliffe is because with the way I preferentially grip the Delica handle, the tip of the blade on the Wharncliffe version projects at a lower angle than the tip on a Yojimbo 2, at least the way I normally hold it. It's just different enough that it feels slightly "off" to me when using the knife as a Yojimbo 2 substitute (I find this to be the case with the RockJumper as well). You could say that the Delica 4 Wharncliffe and RockJumper "index" differently from the Yojimbo 2 with regards to tip orientation vis-à-vis the handle. The tip on the regular Delica 4, on the other hand, projects out at almost the exact same angle from my gripping hand as the Yojimbo 2.

I am very much looking forward to the MicroJimbo, and depending on how much pocket real estate it takes up, it might replace the Delica 4 as my lighter Yo2 alternative.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Salt 2 wharnie LC200N
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't know if anyone makes micarta scales for the Rockjumper, but they are definitely available for the Delica wharnie.

zuludelta's observation regarding the indexing point on the Delica and Salt wharnies is correct. As the photo below shows, in order for the blade tips to line up like they do, I had to position the handles of the said knives lower than when typically holding them.

I don't have a Lil Native wharnie as I find it hard to manipulate the smaller compression lock models.
wharnies 04.jpg
wharnies 03.jpg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

since i already suggested a salt 2 wharncliffe, i won't feel bad about also mentioning that i've always thought of my cold steel tuff lite as a substitute for a mini yojimbo. very different knives, but the tuff lite is very good and it's cheap.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cjk

Post by cjk »

I would probably just go to the Spyderco website and look up the weight of each, then pick the lightest. I expect that to be the salt, but I didn't actually go look.

But I'd probably pick up a rockjumper too if I didn't have one.

For familiarity, the microjimbo would feel most similar.
Stas

Post by Stas »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:31 pm
Just carry the Yojimbo IWB. Works a lot better with thin shorts.
That is probably the easiest solution. Still concerned about rust resistance... based on your knowledge I need a DLC version?
Stas

Post by Stas »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:49 pm
salt 2 wharncliffe.

the yojimbo grip was made to closely resemble that of the delica. the two will still feel different in hand, but the salt will be a knife you can carry iwb always, no matter what you are wearing and it will barely be noticeable. i'm still considering getting one even though i think i'd prefer the pe pacific salt 2 instead.
Thank you! Same as you, I like Yojimbo 2, patiently waiting for a trainer and hoping for a Salt version...

The Salt 2 Wharnie is close, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the Pacific Salt 2 :) It is quite similar to the Endura, which I like and carry a lot. I have an Endura trainer and can open it almost as quickly as the Yojimbo. So, the Pacific Salt 2 may be the best solution as I'm already familiar with the platform. The only issue is the action; somehow, due to the lack of washers or different SpydieHole placement/size, I can't deploy my Pacific Salt 2 quickly enough if the need arises.

The main problem with Salts is that I'm not happy with them just out of the box. And I don't mean only the toxic handle color. The action and rigidity are very far from the golden standard. Luckily, I know a craftsman who makes G10/Micarta handles and puts washers on Salts, which addresses the action and rigidity. But you end up spending almost Yojimbo/Caribbean money anyway. And it is still a fine-tuned Salt :)

Does the Caribbean work well IWB btw? Just asking :)
Stas

Post by Stas »

zuludelta wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:24 pm
The reason I opt for the regular Delica 4 as my Yojimbo 2 alternative instead of the Delica 4 Wharncliffe is because with the way I preferentially grip the Delica handle, the tip of the blade on the Wharncliffe version projects at a lower angle than the tip on a Yojimbo 2, at least the way I normally hold it...
thanks a great point I never thought of!
mikey177 wrote:
...zuludelta's observation regarding the indexing point on the Delica and Salt wharnies is correct. As the photo below shows, in order for the blade tips to line up like they do, I had to position the handles of the said knives lower than when typically holding them.

I don't have a Lil Native wharnie as I find it hard to manipulate the smaller compression lock models.
wharnies 04.jpg
wharnies 03.jpg
And thanks much for the illustration. Now I clearly see the difference!

Have the feeling that Yojimbo 2 is just irreplaceable knife! :D We just need salt version, I accept some "chunkiness" :)
Stas

Post by Stas »

Considering the IWB solution, it eliminates the "lightness" requirement but raises the question of corrosion resistance...

The DLT exclusive in 20cv and DLC coating makes it pretty close to salt, right?

Also, funny but I see in the catalog Yojimbo and Caribbean weight is exactly the same. Very different form factor, but the action, the lock (and materials/built quality) is pretty close I guess. But it is bigger!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I love seeing all these Wharncliffes. And very interesting about the Yojimbo and Delica handle comparisons. The Yojimbo is still on my want list.
Stas wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:21 am
The DLT exclusive in 20cv and DLC coating makes it pretty close to salt, right?
You still have a lot of internals that I would not take in an extended ocean bath. However, with 20CV's corrosion resistance plus DLC and the coated liners and internals, you are right, that is about as close as we have seen on the Yojimbo as far as corrosion resistant. In my experience, sometimes the worst corrosion can be found around the edges of the skelonitized liners inside where they sit on the scales and hide away. Where they cannot be easily wiped down, and they don't seem to dry as fast. The coated liners only seem to help in discouraging corrosion.
Last edited by JSumm on Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005