Will the PM2 in Magnacut make the Caribbean obsolete for you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

PM2 in Magnacut all the way
33%
Caribbean still make lots of sense
54%
I need and will carry both
13%

Total votes: 52

Stas

Post by Stas »

I'm just wondering if you reckon there won't be a need (for you personally) for the Caribbean anymore once the PM2 Magnacut hits the scene? Or do you think there are solid reasons to stick with the Caribbean model? (Aside from its cool funky G10 color, of course!).
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
JSumm

Re: Will the PM2 in Magnacut make the Caribbean obsolete for you?

Post by JSumm »

I think there is reason for it to stick around as a non-choil option. Few and far between in the line-up. Maybe once the Choiless Shaman hits the market in its thinner stock there will be a reason to say goodbye. Especially if they Salt that model way in the future.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Choil/no choil
- Richard
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

They are quite different in hand, especially considering the choil.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

absolutely not. the caribbean is a great knife and i prefer the design to the pm2. i will say the pics of the pm2 were compelling and i like magnacut, but i don't think a pm2 would replace the caribbean for me. now, a manix on the other hand... that would be a different story.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

No way, I have the Caribbean sheepfoot SE. The two are too different.
Also, I already have the Maxamet PM2 and that is enough.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Not for me. The Caribbean is much different from a carry and i the pocket perspective then a PM2. The PM2 feels much smaller, and the leaf-ish blade shape of the Caribbean creates a different option
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I just ordered a Caribbean SE sheepsfoot from Knifejoker for $163 shipped. Not sure about the PM2 magna yet as I already have a few PM’s.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

PE sheepsfoot is on sale at National Knives. Sign in for sale price, $171:
https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... lade-g-10/

I'd like to see the Caribbean optimized as an EDC tool. A different G10 color would go a long way toward that goal and not require any retooling.
- Richard
Stas

Post by Stas »

Nice guys, thanks! Just to introduce you a bit to European perspective, they are sold here at 260+ euros and we feel happy just seeing them in stock once in a while :D

Edit: but prices are not considered, don’t think PM2 in Magnacut will be cheaper.
Last edited by Stas on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I like both and see very little similarity - I consider my SE Caribbean to be a fishing knife (for the big fish I never catch), and would not use a PM2 in such a role, even if it was serrated, Magnacut and had an FRN handle. The idea of a Shaman with such characteristics is intriguing, as I prefer choils.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I think a normal g10 Caribbean would be more likely to make the PM2 obsolete for me.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Stas wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:02 am
Nice guys, thanks! Just to introduce you a bit to European perspective, they are sold here at 260+ euros and we feel happy just seeing them in stock once in a while :D

Edit: but prices are not considered, don’t think PM2 in Magnacut will be cheaper.
I really should've bought it when it was 190€ 🤣

To explain my choice of the Carribean still making sense, I'd say this. It still has a different blade shape, no choil, pronounced guard and LC200N is so fun to sharpen and use 😁
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Stas

Post by Stas »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:52 am
Stas wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:02 am

I really should've bought it when it was 190€ 🤣

To explain my choice of the Carribean still making sense, I'd say this. It still has a different blade shape, no choil, pronounced guard and LC200N is so fun to sharpen and use 😁
It was a nice time before knivesandtools lost their mind, right? :) I often think about those Taichung models from my wishlist at under €200 at the time..
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Stas wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am
It was a nice time before knivesandtools lost their mind, right? :) I often think about those Taichung models from my wishlist at under €200 at the time..
Oh man, the Watu, GB2 and Schempp Bowie at 180... I always know everything will increase in price so I buy as much stuff i like as I can every year. I almost reach the point when I have a little bit of everything I'd want. But ill admit that seeing the discontinued sales is leaving a bitter aftertaste :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I have a serrated sheepfoot Caribbean. I doubt there will ever be a Salt PM2 that is similar.
It is one of my favorite knives.
I also prefer no choil and the longer edge.

However, the Salt PM2 is very interesting because of MagnaCut and my perception that the handle’s grip design (the milling and finish) is a significant functional improvement over the stock Caribbean. I also just really like the Golden made knives.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:44 am
absolutely not. the caribbean is a great knife and i prefer the design to the pm2. i will say the pics of the pm2 were compelling and i like magnacut, but i don't think a pm2 would replace the caribbean for me. now, a manix on the other hand... that would be a different story.
I must have missed something. Where are the pics of the PM2? Thanks. I hope it's full Salt...
Stas

Post by Stas »

Cl1ff wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:37 pm
I have a serrated sheepfoot Caribbean. I doubt there will ever be a Salt PM2 that is similar.
It is one of my favorite knives.
I also prefer no choil and the longer edge.

However, the Salt PM2 is very interesting because of MagnaCut and my perception that the handle’s grip design (the milling and finish) is a significant functional improvement over the stock Caribbean. I also just really like the Golden made knives.
Sadly I doubt there ever be a Caribbean that is similar after they got discontinued. Or SE models may be re-introduced in Magnacut? Crystal ball anyone? 😅
Stas

Post by Stas »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:49 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
I must have missed something. Where are the pics of the PM2? Thanks. I hope it's full Salt...
https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... mple-2023/ 🤫
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:49 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mr. Blonde shared photos he took from the 2023 Amsterdam meet - viewtopic.php?p=1702333#p1702333
-Nick :bug-red