MULE TEAM™ Future Predictions

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
legOFwhat?

MULE TEAM™ Future Predictions

Post by legOFwhat? »

Next Tuesday will wrap up the 1st 39 mules with K294. Sal mentioned 19C27, so that could be MT40 and as we've seen drops or announcements are not always sequential with their numbering system. There is also elastic ceramic that is, hopefully, coming soon, but outside those 2 I'm curious what may come next!

What's you're predictions? Vanadis 8, ASP60/Hap72? Or perhaps, like aeb-l, another non-super steel? :thinking
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
weeping minora

Re: MULE TEAM™ Future Predictions

Post by weeping minora »

No real predictions here, I'd just like to see the project continue as a whole, regardless on what direction Spyderco feels they need to explore.

I'd be up for a run of Crucible CPM REX 20, Capenter's Micro Melt M62 and Uddeholm's Vanadis 8. I think with 19C27 in the pipeline, the "non-super steel" base is covered, for the time being (in regards to market "demands" for higher end exotic steels).

Another idea that I think is great is to implement different heat treatments and geometries/grinds to steels that are already aplenty, or formerly released. We know it's possible because the SPY27 MULE has received such treatment already (getting straight-spined). I also like the idea of having a kitchen based MULE project, where Spyderco would offer an 8" Gyuto styled knife for kitchen/cooking oriented testing.

I'm sure the project still has a lot of life left for its current approach. Just some ideas.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fingers crossed we eventually see a Mule with serrations. Same pattern and geometry as the Byrd rescue2 would be out of this world!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see Vanadis 8.

For a 'non-super' I'd like to see 14C28N.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:50 pm
I'd love to see Vanadis 8.

For a 'non-super' I'd like to see 14C28N.
I'm with you Tom, that would make a nice all-rounder for sure!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I dont think theres been any feedback on the spy27 straight spine mule so id like to see that platform survive the chopping block. Maybe get s390 or vanadis 8 in a future offering. And to see some mule steels trickle into production runs would be nice too.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:09 am
Apex ultra. :shush

https://www.apexultrasteel.com/
My man! Forgot about that one :shush
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

14c28n would be fun for me as I have several other 14c28n knives that I would like to compare it to.

I think Standy99 is not just making a future Mule prediction, but a future FOMO frenzy as well.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
vanka

Post by vanka »

As far as I know, Sal mentioned they're working on the ceramic mule. Is it going to go in production - we don't know. Spyderco tries their best to hold a high standard and if they can't dial the ceramic it might get scrapped in the last moment. We'll have to wait for the next reveal to find out what's coming.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I certainly wouldn't mind another round of Magnacut, and me managing to snag a few. 😃
MrMayhem

Post by MrMayhem »

Has there been a 3v mule? I looked and didn’t see one. Saw a 4v, but not 3v. I would definitely jump on that
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MrMayhem wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:46 am
Has there been a 3v mule? I looked and didn’t see one. Saw a 4v, but not 3v. I would definitely jump on that
No 3v, but I think it's a good idea!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I would very much like to see an Apex Ultra Mule. Vanadis 8 would be interesting to me also. Those are much more wishes than predictions, though.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
standy99

Post by standy99 »

HAP 40 would be something that would be cool.

Or any San Mai would be nice.

I missed out on the MT32 SRS13/SUS405 because I was leaving San Diego on a return flight to Australia a day or two after the drop (still in the no shipping to Australia period)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:37 am
HAP 40 would be something that would be cool.

Or any San Mai would be nice.

I missed out on the MT32 SRS13/SUS405 because I was leaving San Diego on a return flight to Australia a day or two after the drop (still in the no shipping to Australia period)
I'm all for more laminates Andy!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

vanka wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:32 am
As far as I know, Sal mentioned they're working on the ceramic mule. Is it going to go in production - we don't know. Spyderco tries their best to hold a high standard and if they can't dial the ceramic it might get scrapped in the last moment. We'll have to wait for the next reveal to find out what's coming.
I really hope this is still in play. One of the Mules I'm most excited for.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Would really like to see a few kitchen knife steels in one of the next couple of Mules

Something from Japan
Ginsan or SLD stainless steel maybe

But while I’m dreaming why not R2
vanka

Post by vanka »

We already got SRS-13. But the thing about the Japanese steel is that a good lot of it is proprietary. And doesn't matter what you do you can't get it. That was the situation with SRS-15 as far as I remember.
Self Taught

Post by Self Taught »

At this point haven’t they covered most steel categories? I’d like to see a beefier mule to test toughness with more confidence. Maybe high saber grind. Thicker stock. Both