FOMO or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

FOMO or No?

Post by James Y »

Do you have a fear of missing out?

I used to, years ago. If I found any knife models even remotely interesting, I had to have one. On average, I used to buy at least two knives per month. Including multiples of the same models, if I liked them. I own many versions of the Delica, Endura, etc., etc.

I completely stopped buying knives almost two years ago, and before then I'd already slowed to a trickle (one or two, possibly three in a year, if even that). And I've never cared about sprint runs, exclusives, etc.

After awhile, I came to realize that that endorphin rush that comes with acquiring a new knife became less and less, even without that compulsive need to acquire the next one.

There are still a few more knives I'd like to acquire, when my funds make it feasible. But it's not an overriding obsession anymore. If I do, I do; If I don't, I don't.

For one example: The LC200N Salt 2 wharncliffe. That was on my short list of "like-to-haves." But now that I see it's been discontinued, my feeling is "meh..."

It's tremendously freeing to no longer have that stressful, obsessive "need" to acquire a specific knife, or to keep up with the latest-greatest. And for me, that applies to ANY knife/knife model/variant. If I never buy another knife, I'll still be happy and content with what I already have.

I'll still chime in about wanting a Magnacut PM2 Salt, a Yojimbo 2, a Military 2, etc. But deep down, I can take it or leave it.

Where do you fall on the spectrum? There are no wrong answers.

Jim
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Re: FOMO or No?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Not really. If I miss out I take it as a sign from the Lord that I wasn't supposed to have the knife 😂
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the salt 2 wharncliffe is one that i've wanted for a while, but it keeps getting passed up by other things i want more. now that it's getting disco'd, i have a bit of fomo creeping up, but there are other knives still that i want more and i'm not sure i should forgo those purchases just because the salt is going away. furthermore, the primary's drive behind me wanting a salt 2 wharncliffe was because i thought i would need smaller knives in my new job. since that's not an issue, i realized i should just get a pe pacific salt 2 instead of a pe salt 2.

i definitely have fomo, but i am also an overthinker, and overthinking usually wins out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ImHereForTheMilitary2

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:01 am
the salt 2 wharncliffe is one that i've wanted for a while, but it keeps getting passed up by other things i want more. now that it's getting disco'd, i have a bit of fomo creeping up, but there are other knives still that i want more and i'm not sure i should forgo those purchases just because the salt is going away. furthermore, the primary's drive behind me wanting a salt 2 wharncliffe was because i thought i would need smaller knives in my new job. since that's not an issue, i realized i should just get a pe pacific salt 2 instead of a pe salt 2.

i definitely have fomo, but i am also an overthinker, and overthinking usually wins out.
I really want a full SE pac salt next. I think that's going to be next week's paycheck.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Less and less.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:02 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:01 am

I really want a full SE pac salt next. I think that's going to be next week's paycheck.
you won't regret it. my pac salt was my first knife coming back to spyderco. i couldn't believe how light it was and it's definitely proven itself to be a great tool over the years. i don't know which steel you're planning on getting, but i suggest the h1 or h2. the lighter and thinner ffg lc200n is nice, but i've had better experiences with se in h1 than lc200n and that hollow grind, se, and salt steel combo just begs to be used. you can't go wrong with either, but i'll always prefer/suggest h1 or h2 for se salts.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

I fear more of a must buy, irresistible drops. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I definitely have some FOMO, examples being the recent St Nicks Manix XL 4V and the Knife Joy Manix 20V. I did not buy them but still something I want to this day. I did jump on the REC 10V PM3, but that is something I have been look for.

I try to keep it to 1 - 3 new knives a year as I really want to use them not just collect them. There are a few I do want, maybe six I could name but I will take my time getting them.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:09 am
i don't know which steel you're planning on getting, but i suggest the h1 or h2. the lighter and thinner ffg lc200n is nice, but i've had better experiences with se in h1 than lc200n and that hollow grind, se, and salt steel combo just begs to be used. you can't go wrong with either, but i'll always prefer/suggest h1 or h2 for se salts.
I'm going to try my best to get one in h1, if not then h2, if not then magnacut if they make them, if not I'll wait until one of them becomes available. Thanx for the advice and testimonial!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My FOMO is mild and to a large degree mitigated by my intention of using my knives. While a knife being unique, rare, limited or expensive by no means contradicts being used without reservation. Easy to replace models are much more inviting to such intentions. To date I've not bought duplicates, can't rule out it wont happen, but by my thinking most quality knives will (or at least should) outlast their relevance. I.e. assuming I don't loose them, by the time they're worn out it's quite likely that my needs or preferences has changed, or that something even more suitable has come along. I simply can't justify the opportunity cost of having duplicates.

That's now, but admittedly I got a little carried away with both knives and watches in the very early stage, but once I found my lane and know what I like, I'm much more relaxed about it.

The k390 wharnecliffe Delica PE was on my radar, but I had some reservations. Seeing it on the disco'd list did bring out slight reflexes of FOMO and combined with the lower price I surely tried to justify a purchase. Deep inside I knew the reservations where still there so I forced myself to sleep on it. Now that it's gone from my preferred dealers I think I made the right decision. I still want a wharncliffe in that size bracket, but I'm sure something else will come along eventually.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I don't really have FOMO-- it's more like curiosity. Sometimes I just want to try something new out to see if it works well for me. The more experience I gain, the more I can tell which knives to rule out without needing to try them.

I have praised Salt 2 wharnie but James you don't really need to try one out of FOMO. Just think, do I love delica size, do I want this but in a wharncliffe blade, do I want more rust resistance and less weight, and do I like bright green or am willing to dye the handle. If any of those are a no, you can certainly skip it.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I used to... but it's gotten a lot better as the collection has grown. I don't feel nearly as much like I'm missing out if I can find something similar-ish in what I already own.

On the flip side I have found a couple of models I really like and it's easier to justify additional variants of those few, hah.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have your cure for lack of FOMO. Sell all your knives till your FOMO level goes back up to a reasonable level so you have to own every sprint run even if you don’t like that model. :winking-tongue this video shows what a healthy level of Spyderco FOMO is
https://youtu.be/4P65EJKIUwM
I borrowed it from another thread :winking-tongue :winking-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

In the past I've had a *very* difficult time passing up new exciting models, but when I counted up how many Spyderco's I've bought (somewhere north of 400) and multiplied by average price (a few cheap models like bug or grasshopper, far more like Manix or Military) I realized just how much $$ I've spent on knives. Add in declining health issues, and the fact that my daughters aren't near as interested in knives as I am, and it makes much less sense to keep buying them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm not sure I'd call it FOMO but I was definitely buying a lot of knives for awhile there. I enjoy having an example of the models I like and even a few sprints and exclusives of some. But it's easy to get carried away with the dealer exclusives. I got to the point where I had too many versions of some and they just don't get carried. When you combine the Spydie collection with models from other brands it's a bit much after awhile. Plus I have my shooting hobby I need to support and things get expensive in a hurry. So I slowed down on buying knives substantially.I did buy a couple recently with the seconds sale and disco'd sale but they were good deals and it helped spark my interest again. I still look forward to seeing new models that come out and I'll buy them if they interest me. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy all the great knives I have, including some really nice non-Spydies. It fun to go through my collection and pull out something that I hadn't seen in awhile
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’m still fairly new to Spyderco and knives in general so I don’t really have FOMO yet. Most of my collection is made up of seconds and discontinued sales. So far, St. Nicks is the only exclusive I’ve purchased. I have bought based on perceived value and what I will use. What I don’t want to do is have a ton of safe queens.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Not really FOMO, but sometimes I've just got to see the new thing - Military 2 was the last one I couldn't resist.
anycal

Post by anycal »

First time I couldn't get the knife I wanted - the CRUWEAR micarta Shaman. I have not experienced that before. And I am a fan of srpints and exclusives. That was a turning point. Counterintuitively, it cured me of FOMO.
Peter
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The thing with Spyderco, is that if you miss something great, you know that something else great will be along in a short while.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

It seems like patience in this hobby wins.