Blade Length vs Edge Length - Why does it matter?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Blade Length vs Edge Length - Why does it matter?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Just curious about why so many knife retailers and manufacturers provide stats on blade length and edge length on folding knives. Does it matter? I get that edge length definitely matters depending on your state law and why overall and handle lengths matter, but why is blade length considered an important stat on its own? Isn't the combination of handle length, overall length, and edge length good enough?

in fact on dlt it only lists blade length and not edge length so there seems to be a stronger emphasis on blade length. this is odd to me, because edge length is the more important of the two factors imho but I coudl be wrong and I readily admit that there may be something here i'm just missing.
JSumm

Re: Blade Length vs Edge Length - Why does it matter?

Post by JSumm »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:58 am
Just curious about why so many knife retailers and manufacturers provide stats on blade length and edge length on folding knives. Does it matter? I get that edge length definitely matters depending on your state law and why overall and handle lengths matter, but why is blade length considered an important stat on its own? Isn't the combination of handle length, overall length, and edge length good enough?

in fact on dlt it only lists blade length and not edge length so there seems to be a stronger emphasis on blade length. this is odd to me, because edge length is the more important of the two factors imho but I coudl be wrong and I readily admit that there may be something here i'm just missing.
I think you answered your question, just switch edge length with blade length. If being picky, the law may look at the blade length in interpretting the law. To us knife fans, it is more of the edge length that matters, but if you are buying with restrictions in mind the blade length may be more of what you are looking for and overall more important for a retailer to specify.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Danke

Post by Danke »

More data for comparison is always useful.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

JSumm wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:06 am
I think you answered your question, just switch edge length with blade length. If being picky, the law may look at the blade length in interpretting the law. To us knife fans, it is more of the edge length that matters, but if you are buying with restrictions in mind the blade length may be more of what you are looking for and overall more important for a retailer to specify.
I aint a lawyer and I dont know all the states laws about knives but the few that I do know focus on edge length not blade length. Are there states with laws that specify blade length over edge length?
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Danke wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:17 am
More data for comparison is always useful.
I agree. Trouble is some places, like dlt only list blade length. When I ordered my military 2 I thought I was getting 4" edge but it's not.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:24 am
JSumm wrote:
I aint a lawyer and I dont know all the states laws about knives but the few that I do know focus on edge length not blade length. Are there states with laws that specify blade length over edge length?
A quick Google Search reveals most length restrictions refer to blade length. Now how one determines blade length is left up to the courts to decide and end up reviewing precedent. Of course you and I know the edge length is what matters and what cuts. But the ambiguity of written law can often benefit the prosecuting or governing party.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the law is always blade length. even if your knife has a choil on the blade and is meant to be held in that position, police will measure to the actual handle.

edge length matters more to us, since we're concerned with cutting performance more than how deep we can stab a knife into a person.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JSumm wrote:
What are these state that limit edge-length rather than blade-length?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

When I leave the house I always assume that any LEO will measure from the tip to the farthest back they can get that looks like blade and not necessarily follow the AKTI standards The stats you see on-line from manufacturers normally measure from the tip to heel where the blade meets the handle using AKTI standards. Only the tape measure knows for sure.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm only aware of blade length restrictions, not edge length restrictions. I'm guessing the issue revolves around the depth of stab wounds, which references blade length, not edge length.

As has been said, LEOs are prone to measure from tip to handle to determine legality--which is an unambiguous measurement. (It would be difficult and open up legal loopholes if a LEO were to measure edge length on a blade with a belly.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ImHereForTheMilitary2

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:48 am
JSumm wrote:
Connecticut and RI
ImHereForTheMilitary2

I lived in CT near the RI border, and know cops from both including CT state. All cops have said it's edge length. Then again they have all also said that they don't give two sh*ts about what knives anyone carries unless they are criminals or being jerks. One of them showed me how he measures knives if he had to. It was dollar bill folded in half, and he only measured the edge

EDIT I currently live in mass now and there is no length restriction here
Last edited by ImHereForTheMilitary2 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It's always been about overall blade length, from the blade tip to where it clears the handle. Even if a blade extended, say, 4" beyond the handle, but the actual sharpened edge length was only 3", it would still be a 4" blade.

I don't know if the following info is too graphic for the forum, but even short blades can produce stab wounds that penetrate deeper than the blade's length, due to tissue compression.

Jim
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:46 am

There are if you live in Boston, 2.5 inches. Nearby cities like Cambridge and Somerville (where I live) tend to take cues from Boston. In the office, I carry a Delica. My co-workers won't rat me out. Around town, I carry a Janlica just to be safe.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:01 am
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:46 am

There are if you live in Boston, 2.5 inches. Nearby cities like Cambridge and Somerville (where I live) tend to take cues from Boston. In the office, I carry a Delica. My co-workers won't rat me out. Around town, I carry a Janlica just to be safe.
Didnt know that. Thanks for the tip. Fortunutely I dont live anywhere near a city and dont plan on going to any. In fact I plan on moving to either NH or SD in the future
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:43 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:48 am
JSumm wrote:
Connecticut and RI
Thanks. According to https://knifeup.com/knife-laws/, edge-length no longer seems to be the metric in RI.

Of course, edge-length cannot be longer than blade-length so, as a guide, don’t buy a knife longer than the restricted edge-length, hence why knife-sellers usually advertise blade-lengths.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:29 am
I'm only aware of blade length restrictions, not edge length restrictions. I'm guessing the issue revolves around the depth of stab wounds, which references blade length, not edge length.

As has been said, LEOs are prone to measure from tip to handle to determine legality--which is an unambiguous measurement. (It would be difficult and open up legal loopholes if a LEO were to measure edge length on a blade with a belly.)
On a folder, sure. But many popular EDC fixed blades come without handle scales, or they can be removed without sacrificing too much in way of grip and handling.
I would assume these knives have their blade length measured from tip to heel/plunge line, but I really don’t know. If that’s the case, it surely don’t make sense to measure folders differently (yet that’s what tends to happen). Then again I’ve stopped expecting laws to be consistent, predictable and logical.

As for the OP; this isn’t just a state issue, there are entire countries where knife carry and even ownership is limited by blade length.
Personally I like as many stats as possible. I have to import the majority of the knives I buy, so making bad buying decisions generates a lot of hassle. Good research with access to as many stats as possible, pictures/videos and comparisons with other models limits how many knives end up not being to my liking and consequently have to be returned or flipped at a loss.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Speaking of countries, apparently, Japan has some of the most restrictive knife ownership and carry laws on the planet, even though many knives are made there. It's probable that the Seki makers themselves couldn't legally carry most (or even any) of the knives they make.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:50 am
Speaking of countries, apparently, Japan has some of the most restrictive knife ownership and carry laws on the planet, even though many knives are made there.

Jim
they banned guns, so people started stabbing people and they restricted knives. it's almost as if the inanimate object isn't to blame.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:00 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:50 am
Speaking of countries, apparently, Japan has some of the most restrictive knife ownership and carry laws on the planet, even though many knives are made there.

Jim
they banned guns, so people started stabbing people and they restricted knives. it's almost as if the inanimate object isn't to blame.
“IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE”, I guess PENS misspell words, CARS drive drunk & SPOONS make people fat”, says a t-shirt I like to wear.