Is the Native chief supposed to be hard to open?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Is the Native chief supposed to be hard to open?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

In case you all didnt notice I got spydermail today. New manix 2 and native chief. Holy smokes two great knives! The chief just feels right and i love the size. But I notice its difficult to flick open. will this break in? And the manix is just solid. love the gimping. great work sal!
TkoK83Spy

Re: Is the Native chief supposed to be hard to open?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's not all about "flicking"...once you're out of the new phase, you'll realize that. But yes, I'm sure you can if you feel the need with minor tinkering. The Manix has jimping, and was actually designed by Eric, Sal's son. Slow down a bit buddy, enjoy the ride.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Yea it’s not as flickable as a para 3 or pm2. But seriously try carry, use, handle, and enjoy each knife. I have a huge collection but am lucky enough to afford doubles. Looking back I would have just got one and used the crap out of them. Trying new steels is fun but sharpening some are a pita. I suggest rex45 or magnacut. Those steels will be all you could ask for. But if you can afford it get them all🤪. Lol.
MRj “Weak things break!”
ImHereForTheMilitary2

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:21 pm
The Manix has jimping, and was actually designed by Eric, Sal's son.
My bad
James Y

Post by James Y »

Flickability and "drop-shuttiness" is not a determination of level of quality. A back lock has the backspring, which creates greater closing bias and retention. It's not really designed for flicking. It's not going to fly open as smoothly as, say, a compression lock. With practice it can be flicked, but why? It still won't be like a comp lock.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the native has thicker blade stock than the seki backlocks. as such, it's got a thicker lock with more surface area and more friction. it's a tough one to flick open. and the chief is probably at least as bad as the native. i'm not saying you'll never be able to flick them, but it's a possibility. personally, i enjoy the slow, smooth roll of the native, but i also like to flick my knives, so i get it. maybe that's part of why i prefer the manix over the natives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Yeah the chief is relatively stiff to open it's normal. I don't love that about it but it's a beautiful design anyways.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I wouldn't say it's hard to open, but the Chief does take a little more effort. Even to just roll it open with a thumb. It should break in a bit though and you'll be power flicking in no time. :beaming-face
•• Beau
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The Native series, in general, is not as flicky as other Spyderco knives. If you simply must.. turn your wrist inward and, as you’re flicking with your thumb, turn your wrist sharply outward.

I’ve always liked the deliberateness of the Natives.

There are comp lock variants: Lil’ Native, Shaman.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

James Y wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:57 pm
Flickability and "drop-shuttiness" is not a determination of level of quality. A back lock has the backspring, which creates greater closing bias and retention. It's not really designed for flicking. It's not going to fly open as smoothly as, say, a compression lock. With practice it can be flicked, but why? It still won't be like a comp lock.

Jim
Because flicking them open is fun.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Most people that have been here awhile, really don't care to see or hear about flicking. It screams "I'm new and have a lot to learn"

Comparable to a young guy getting a new exhaust on his car/truck/bike and revving it at every stop light. Most others just roll their eyes...

-Rick
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

My only Spyderco is an Endura, but it is also a backlock, and it just isn't really optimized for flinging open in any fashion. I was used to using a liner lock knife which basically behaves like a compression lock when opening, very easy to wrist flick open after you pop it off the detent, so it took me a bit to become accustomed to the backlock. Most people seem to prefer the slow role, but I actually have a bit of trouble positioning my hand for that, maybe because my hands are quite small, so I actually open it two handed most of the time. It seems to be the safest and fastest way for me, and although I do enjoy the feel of opening my liner lock as fast as an automatic, two handed on the Endura serves me just as well, even though it lacks the flair.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The natives with the no thumb ramp design are not as easy to open as say an Endura or a Military with the thumb ramp. That slight movement in hole placement adds a lot of ease of opening. However, it disappears in the pocket better and allows for easier choking up towards the tip with a thumb or forefinger. Pros and cons to the design, but it is a great design overall. Carry it a bit and see if you like the pros it offers better than the drawbacks.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ImHereForTheMilitary2

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:17 pm
Most people that have been here awhile, really don't care to see or hear about flicking. It screams "I'm new and have a lot to learn"

Comparable to a young guy getting a new exhaust on his car/truck/bike and revving it at every stop light. Most others just roll their eyes...
I admit im relatively new to spyderco and the depths of the knife world but I have been around knives for 40 years. I aint some dumb kid. I have spent my life searching for the perfect edc. One of the things that makes an edc perfect is rapid dependable deployment. I do not care about the flick factor solely because its fun. Its a requirement to be an edc. I have ot be confident opening it in one shot.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know you've been all over this forum the past few weeks and want around 32 different knives...I get it, I've been there. Right here on this forum. Not any of my business what you do with your money, but telling you from experience and similar early day fanboy following...the Spyderco experience is much better understood through consistent carry and then trial and error, over buying 10 new models in 2 weeks and really learning nothing besides daily swapping and flicking.

-Rick
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

If you think the G-10 Chief is hardly flickable, just wait until the lightweights come out without bushings between the "tang" and scales :grimace.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Old Man Yells at Cloud
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:19 pm
The natives with the no thumb ramp design are not as easy to open as say an Endura or a Military with the thumb ramp. That slight movement in hole placement adds a lot of ease of opening. ...

This.

Normally a thumb ramp/hump (as opposed to no thumb ramp / hump) makes for the thumb hole being "further out" when opening the knife, and for an a bit more convenient opening of the knife.

Actually on a backlock like the Native Chief (that has no hump) flicking the knife open remedies that slightly harder opening process, cause when flicking the thumb does not have to follow the whole arc of motion.

This means no repositioning of the hand is needed, and especially for people with smaller hands the opening movement is less "awkward" and safer (for the lack of a better word - of course to me both slow rolling and flicking is easy and safe, the latter just a hair more convenient, but I am very much used to backlocks).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
. One of the things that makes an edc perfect is rapid dependable deployment. I do not care about the flick factor solely because its fun.
Wise words, and I am completely with you. I am not saying at all that flicking open a knife is a necessity or for everyone, but it really CAN suit the preferences some develope exactly THROUGH having a lot of experience with folders.

So, imo flicking CAN be just about "showing off", but it actually IS just a valid and good method of opening a folder with its own pros and cons. Exactly like slow rolling is. No worse ore better here.
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Rick,as several times already when it comes to this topic: I have to disagree and find this to be a one sided statement.

- Sure, there are those annoying knife "reviewers" :eye-roll on youtube who flick a folder open 100 times while talking about (and not using...) it, I give you that.

- Also, flicking of course puts more wear on the mechanism, but none of my backlocks has ever developed problems because oif this and I flick them open all the time.

- But let me ask you:
How much experience do you have yourself with flicking open your backlock knives in real use, just as one convenient method (and NOT for sillily showing off)? Did you do it for several years and really get to know the pros and cons of this way to open a folder?
(NOT saying you should, but still if you haven´t I think you can´t really weigh in on it. Would be if I´d start to judge free hand sharpening, despite I almost always use kind of a semi guided system like the Sharpmaker).

- Here are my thoughts and findings coming from years and years of experience

+ Flicking open a backlock is faster than slow rolling
Normally not a pro, but in certain situations it can be (self defense...)

+ Flicking open a backlock is more convenient than slow rolling, especially on knives like the Native Chief:
See above. Again: NOT a huge difference and NOT that slow rolling would be bad by any means. But as soon as flicking gets natural, it is just an a tad more convenient way

+ Flicking open a backlock (to me) is safer than slow rolling:
Again, not a huge pro and does not come into play at all most of the time. But if one is "trained" in flicking (like I am), it requires no repositioning of the fingers (except the thumb), which slow rolling often requires a bit, and the knife remains firmly in the same position.

+ Flicking open a backlock can make one more familiar with a knife and more sovereign in generally handing it
This may sound weird, but to me it feels like that cause I am flicking open my backlocks all the time (and can do it with each of the five fingers) made me "better" in handling folders overall. Just like lets say a soccer player trains tricks they´ll never actually use in a real match, it still makes them better in ball control.
Using and handling a folder in many ways imo can lead to more control and better handling for example when almost accidentally dropping a knife or if the hand is injured or whatever.
(Again: I a NOT saying that this is necessary by any means for getting "good" with knives"!! It is just ONE way that CAN contribute to that).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

It's still a necessary part of the journey. I get where you're coming from Rick, I really do, but sometimes I think some things are best left unspoiled and enjoyed freely, if they're not hurting anyone, ocf. Like a loud exhaust, or flicking a Spydie.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045