Will we ever see a Manix 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Will we ever see a Manix 3?

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Just curious! Now that I have a manix 2 I am starting to realize just how impressive it is. Talk about a solid knife! So will we see more sprints and exclusives for this line? Will there ever be a part 3?
ladybug93

Re: Will we ever see a Manix 3?

Post by ladybug93 »

the only improvement i can see on the manix is to give us a lw salt in magnacut, which is already in the works. two years ago, i would've said the only real improvement the manix line needs is screw construction on the lw models, but spyderco has done that now too.

maybe i'm the wrong person to answer this question because the manix isn't just my favorite spyderco knife, but my favorite folding knife period. for my hands and usage, it's basically perfection. i say basically because i like to mod mine with upgraded scales and bearing cages, but neither is necessary. it's mostly for fun(ction).

i think there are a lot of people that would like to see a smaller manix. maybe a manix 3 could follow the para 3 model and just be a 3" blade version of the manix for people living with more restrictive laws.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

LB not a bad idea in a smaller package similar to lil Native . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm in the group that thinks there's not a lot to be improved regards the Mx2. I even like the flat handle, square-ish scale edges, and all the jimping everywhere. I especially appreciate the LW models. Great job, Eric & crew. I think any "improvements" I would suggest would result in a different knife entirely. I would like a Manix-style knife that's not as "tall" or "chunky" and I think I might like a Manix-style knife that is choil-less (but might not, after handling one...hard to say...and that would definitely not be a Manix anymore).

One of the things I appreciate most about the Manix is that the grooves for the index finger (both in back grip and choked-up-on-choil grip) are sized for normal human fingers. The radius under the index finger on some Spyders implies huge 1-1/2" diameter fingers, if the index finger were to fit into the curve. Whereas the Manix is sized for a rational 3/4" diameter finger. Maybe Eric has fingers that are more my size, I dunno, but the Manix radius (and the Sage radius) work for me.

A lot of us have been waiting around (for a long time!) for other knives to be offered in CBBL. A CBBL Sage would probably be a version of a less-tall, more pocketable Manix. But I've never seen a definitive answer regards whether CBBL can be fit into a smaller knife.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The one thing I’d like to see is a choiless Manix 2. I suppose Spyderco could call it the Manix 3.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

There's been requests for a Para3-sized Manix and I'm one of those that would love to see this in production. A smaller Manix would nicely complement Spyderco's trifecta of PM2/ Para3, Shaman/Lil' Native, and Manix2/ (Lil'-Manix?)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Choilless and Salt are the only improvements I can think of. I never use the choil, so I'd rather have that space devoted to edge. However, I have no idea how that change would ripple through the rest of what, for me, is about as perfect as it can be.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

A little birdie told me that we have not seen the last of the Manix series.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:40 pm
Choilless and Salt are the only improvements I can think of. I never use the choil, so I'd rather have that space devoted to edge. However, I have no idea how that change would ripple through the rest of what, for me, is about as perfect as it can be.
Ditto for me but I’m sure we’re in the minority when it comes to the choil…either way the salt version is close to perfection
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

can anyone speak to the leafjumper as a choiless manix? it seems like it would be very similar to what should be expected of a manix without a choil.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I can’t imagine how the Manix2 could be improved. But, then, I’m not Eric (though I am here in part because of his design-chops).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:41 pm
can anyone speak to the leafjumper as a choiless manix? it seems like it would be very similar to what should be expected of a manix without a choil.
Well I only had one for just over a week unfortunately, but I would say it is a little different. A little bit more room for the hand than the Manix offers behind the choil. Plus a little pinky hook to lock you in which feels better for the back of the knife IMO. What the Manix offers behind the choil that few others do is one groove for the forefinger. I feel that locks you in like a choil without the thinner blade feel but the robust handle thickness feel. One of not the most comfortable grips in my opinion. Only thing similar I've experienced is an Hinderer XM-18. I really wish Spyderco would do something similar on the Endura family. Take that 2-1/2 groove on those and make it a one finger groove. The GB2 does that BTW.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:14 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Well I only had one for just over a week unfortunately, but I would say it is a little different. A little bit more room for the hand than the Manix offers behind the choil. Plus a little pinky hook to lock you in which feels better for the back of the knife IMO. What the Manix offers behind the choil that few others do is one groove for the forefinger. I feel that locks you in like a choil without the thinner blade feel but the robust handle thickness feel. One of not the most comfortable grips in my opinion. Only thing similar I've experienced is an Hinderer XM-18. I really wish Spyderco would do something similar on the Endura family. Take that 2-1/2 groove on those and make it a one finger groove. The GB2 does that BTW.
i was mostly referring to the blade, but i understand what you're saying about the grip.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I think a Manix 3 in Para 3 size is quit an interesting idea. I’ve definitely pondered this before. It should be a Salt knife though… obviously. Unfortunately for some a knife with a 3”+ blade is too big due to legal restrictions; for others it’s just preference. Everyone should get a chance to enjoy a Manix!

Question…? Would it be better for a Manix 3 to have a sub 2.5” blade seeing that the regular version is 3.37” and this would also increase the locations it’s legal? (I H8 knife laws)

I agree with those who say that the Manix 2 is quite good and changes are not needed. The same could be said about the Manix 2 XL. I’ve never experienced a lockback Manix 2 but I’m sure they were just as good (wish they would be brought back) I have a couple of XLs and a S110V lightweight, I quite enjoy them.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:39 pm
I think a Manix 3 in Para 3 size is quit an interesting idea. I’ve definitely pondered this before. It should be a Salt knife though… obviously. Unfortunately for some a knife with a 3”+ blade is too big due to legal restrictions; for others it’s just preference. Everyone should get a chance to enjoy a Manix!

Question…? Would it be better for a Manix 3 to have a sub 2.5” blade seeing that the regular version is 3.37” and this would also increase the locations it’s legal? (I H8 knife laws)

I agree with those who say that the Manix 2 is quite good and changes are not needed. The same could be said about the Manix 2 XL. I’ve never experienced a lockback Manix 2 but I’m sure they were just as good (wish they would be brought back) I have a couple of XLs and a S110V lightweight, I quite enjoy them.
Assuming we don’t want a completely different set of ergonomics to the handle has anyone experimented with simply shortening a standard manix’s blade, much like that Chicago legal Yojimbo available through 5x5?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:49 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:39 pm

Assuming we don’t want a completely different set of ergonomics to the handle has anyone experimented with simply shortening a standard manix’s blade, much like that Chicago legal Yojimbo available through 5x5?
I think that would be a wonderful idea if the Manix 2 was strictly a self-defense knife like the Yojimbo/Yojumbo, but the Manix is more of a general purpose knife; it may be received better as a sized down version. Don’t know, however if JSumms post is an indication these things may have already been decided lol.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:28 pm
i was mostly referring to the blade, but i understand what you're saying about the grip.
Oh, in that case, just personal opinion I prefer the Manix blade. The Manix and the Caly series offer a Spyderco historical I'll call it leaf shape where the spine and blade gently curve to meet each other. The Leaf Jumper though not as much seems in between a Manix and a Tenacious or Polestar where there is a little more belly. I like the almost wharncliffe blade of the Manix and Calys personally.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:

Had / have several Manix 2 LWs and had the RockJumper (basically a wharnie Leafjumper).

To me the Leafjumper is not what I personally would like to see in a choil-less Manix.

- When it comes to the handle the Jumpers do not have that "secondary guard" of the Manix, which would come even more into play in a choil less Manix (that would almost always be gripped on the actual handle unless one is like me and likes to choke up on the actual edge)

- But more importantly concerning the blade:
The plus for me in a choil less Manix would be substantially more cutting edge.
Now the Jumpers actually offer a hair LESS edge than a Manix in a handle that is just a bit shorter (113 vs 118 mm).
So the edge to handle ratio is just very slightly improved in the Jumpers, and a clearly better edge to handle ratio is what I´d like to see in a choil less Manix in return for loosing its very good finger choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 pm
Just curious! Now that I have a manix 2 I am starting to realize just how impressive it is. Talk about a solid knife! So will we see more sprints and exclusives for this line? Will there ever be a part 3?

Congrats! :smlling-eyes

Think I have recommended the following already to you, but can´t hurt to do it twice ;)

In a way your "Manix 3" could be the LW version, and I´d got with the "base" model in BD1N. Not a ton of money, really nice super easy and quick to sharpen steel, and an amazingly solid feel for the light weight.

And to me a nicer carry, especially in lighter shorts or the like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yes, I certainly agree that producing a 2.75-3 inch Manix in the vain of Para3 is an excellent idea, I have been thinking of one of these for years.