Calendar Contest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Calendar Contest

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dang! I had several pics lined up and was trying to decide on which one to submit. Then they side tracked me with the online seconds sale and I never posted my entry. First time I've missed in the past several years. Seems like the deadline is getting earlier and earlier each year. Sigh....

So here's what I was considering. Maybe next year lol! Good luck to those who manage to get their entry in

Not that any of these have the creativity to win a spot in the calendar but which one of these recylcle pics would you choose? I'll be sure to take note for next year.

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image

4. Image

5. Image

6. Image

^ I know it's not calendar worthy but I'm kinda drawn to that one lol

7. Image

8. Image

Now that I think about it, I think there were a lot less entries this year too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Re: Calendar Contest

Post by ladybug93 »

sorry you missed the deadline. number 8 is my favorite of these. i like the color contrast and the less commonly seen spydie.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Darn. #3 is a winner
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thank you! I usually set a reminder in my phone but I've had so much going on that I must've forgot. I've been watching what you've all been submitting and was planning on adding mine but the deadline creeped up faster than I thought it would. All good! I'm sure it'll be a great calendar and I'll pay for one for the wall above my desk in my office
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I was drawn to #5 when you posted it earlier in another thread, but #8 looks slightly better. Good pics overall, shame they didn't make the deadline. Perhaps we were all distracted by the seconds sale and its aftermath?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bummer to hear that you missed the deadline. This years deadline was definitely earlier than the past few and as you noted it seemed like a light year for the number of submissions. Makes me wonder if the earlier deadline effected the number of entries. :thinking

You have a solid batch of photos to choose from. Photo 5 with the Paysan would’ve got my vote.

One thing to keep in mind is aspect ratio, the calendar is being printed at 11x9 and those photos would need to be cropped to those dimensions. It looks like photos 2 and 6 might not be able to be cropped to that size without clipping part of the knives. :respect :bug-red
-Nick :bug-red
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Great photos.

The Mantra 2 with the background of photo #8 would look good.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like #5 or #8.

I don’t know a whole bunch about photography, but the image I was thinking about submitting didn’t have enough pixels. It was taken with an iPhone SE, so not exactly ideal anyway.
I assume a lot of entries are taken with better cameras? I think newer phones do have pretty good cameras, but are they really ideal for this sort of application.

I’ve never participated in the Calendar Contest before, but I enjoy taking pictures.
I really liked my idea, so maybe I’ll try to recreate it next year!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:32 pm
One thing to keep in mind is aspect ratio, the calendar is being printed at 11x9 and those photos would need to be cropped to those dimensions. It looks like photos 2 and 6 might not be able to be cropped to that size without clipping part of the knives. :respect :bug-red
Yeah I'm aware. I just pulled those off my phone and loaded into Imgur. If I decided on one I'd move it to my PC and reformat and edit before submitting. 2 and 6 aren't likely candidates for me anyway. I was just looking for landscape pics. But thanks for the heads up
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:07 pm
I like #5 or #8.

I don’t know a whole bunch about photography, but the image I was thinking about submitting didn’t have enough pixels. It was taken with an iPhone SE, so not exactly ideal anyway.
I assume a lot of entries are taken with better cameras? I think newer phones do have pretty good cameras, but are they really ideal for this sort of application.

I’ve never participated in the Calendar Contest before, but I enjoy taking pictures.
I really liked my idea, so maybe I’ll try to recreate it next year!
You can bump up the PPI pretty easy. There's probably even some free apps available that would do it. I use a paid program on my PC but something like Gimp would probably do it for you.

By the way, all my pics are taken on my phone. I don't even own an stand-alone camera
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

No.7 shows great contrast between old and modern materials. Plus that adjustment notch wheel is a perfect mount.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Personally I like #1, the texture is great and contrasting color of the knife. I submitted one my kids picked out of a few finalists. Flowers and good for spring. I had my favorite but I can always use it next year.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would go with number 1 , it’s a very clean shot . Blue against background really pops and lighting is superb. Sorry you missed out this year . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

#1 is the oldest pic and one of the first Delicas I've had. It's also the first knife I've ever sharpened keen enough to whittle hair. I still have that knife and carry it often despite having all these other sprint and exclusive Delicas. There's something about that blue FRN that I really like

#2 I'm sure you all recognize this as the 40th Anniversary Native that's one of my prized Spydies. The funny thing about this one is that it's actually the prize from the 2016 or 2017 calendar contest.

#3 is the Caly 3.5 that several of us purchased when Amazon had them priced for like $108. That was a crazy deal!

#4 V-TOKU 2 Dragonfly Sprint. My better half retired from the school district a few years ago but took a part-time job at her friend's fulfillment company. She needed something a little bigger than here ZDP-189 Ladybug. I offered her a Delica but she thought it was too big for the pocket of her girl jeans. She opted for a Dragonfly even though I told her the cutting edge was about the same as her Ladybug. She was looking for a little bigger handle and that today that Dragonfly is still well loved. It's probably also the most used pocket knife we have in the house. Every week she leaves it on the counter for me to clean off all the goo and sharpen. She's even managed to get rust on it a couple times despite my telling she needs to keep the blade dry. No big deal. I just cleaned it off and gave it back to her

#5 & #8 Are my Paysan I got from the first online seconds sale. That knife is fabulous and another prized Spydie

#8 PM2 Cruwear Sprint - my first sprint run knife, first Cruwear knife, and the PM2 I carry most often.

I appreciate all the responses. Hopefully next year they'll do landscape format again and I can choose one of these. Or maybe I'll get another good shot to consider. We'll see
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I like #2 and #8. Sorry you missed it.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

All great pics. 4 more and that would make a nice calendar on it's own.
-Turbo
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

3 is really good!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

#3 and #8. I like #7 too, but is that a factory configuration?
- Richard
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:45 pm
3 is really good!
TY!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

riclaw wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:19 pm
#3 and #8. I like #7 too, but is that a factory configuration?
I don't think the calendar submissions have to factory configurations but, yes, it's factory. It"s the Cruwear Sprint from 2016