If the cops ask you, my wife did it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

If the cops ask you, my wife did it

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

After already having bought a military 2 and a sliverax in the same week, I am now looking at a smok. I think Im going to wait a few days, maybe even a few weeks so I dont get murdered by my wife. But just in case she does murder me with one of my own knives let this post serve as evidence for the subsequent police investigation. What do you all think of the smok? Any bad reviews I should know about?
vivi

Re: If the cops ask you, my wife did it

Post by vivi »

I think the smock has awful ergonomics and is missing 1/4th of its cutting edge, but judging by its popularity I'm definitely in the minority :rofl
:unicorn
ImHereForTheMilitary2

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:23 am
I think the smock has awful ergonomics and is missing 1/4th of its cutting edge, but judging by its popularity I'm definitely in the minority :rofl
I'll be honest, the only thing that attracted me to it was the reverse compression lock. It looks fidgety and flick-y.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
i agree. it looks uncomfortable to hold and annoying to cut with. i also strongly dislike holes in grips, personally, but the smock does look cool in pictures, especially with upgraded scales. i've almost snagged one a couple of times.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ric

Post by Ric »

Doesn't it have 2 detents which makes it not as fidgety?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Smock shines with aftermarket scales, IMO. The cut out in the blade is essentially a finger choil. If you don't like finger choils, you will not like the cut out. Overall, the blade shape is a winner, although a model with a smaller or no cutout would be an improvement.

The handle is comfortable for many, but remember, this was never meant as a hard use working tool. It is a fully functional day to day knife, however. If you need to do many hard cuts every day, another model will suit you better.

The Smock is very fidget friendly even with two detents. At least my two are at any rate.

I had lots of complaints about it before I found a deal on one and gave it a try. Now I have two. YMMV
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ImHereForTheMilitary2

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:14 am
The Smock shines with aftermarket scales, IMO. The cut out in the blade is essentially a finger choil. If you don't like finger choils, you will not like the cut out. Overall, the blade shape is a winner, although a model with a smaller or no cutout would be an improvement.

The handle is comfortable for many, but remember, this was never meant as a hard use working tool. It is a fully functional day to day knife, however. If you need to do many hard cuts every day, another model will suit you better.

The Smock is very fidget friendly even with two detents. At least my two are at any rate.

I had lots of complaints about it before I found a deal on one and gave it a try. Now I have two. YMMV
What, if any, folding models do you think qualify as "hard use"? Shaman comes to mind. Maybe the Manix 2 XL. Maybe the Native cheif...

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it could be a great knife for me, but still debating if its worth putting myself in mortal peril :squinting-tongue
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi wrote:
From someone that owns it : You're kinda right. I'm used to slender folder that don't offer good ergonomics, but they usually pack a pretty long blade for their size. This one does not have a long cutting edge. The hollow grind was what pushed me to try it but it is actually pretty fat behind the edge :thinking Well, will certainly go to make place for a Native 5 later on :grin-big eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:09 am
I am now looking at a smok. I think Im going to wait a few days, maybe even a few weeks so I dont get murdered by my wife.
What do you all think

I think if you dilly-dally, you might miss the opportunity to buy the Smok and you'll never get another opportunity.

New wives, on the other hand, are easy to find.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Give it a while. When I was new I wanted a Smock very badly because it's just rad to me. I still don't have one and now I don't want one. There's certain pieces I would buy and frame if I had all the money I wanted, because they're really neat to look at, but not something I would ever use or enjoy using in day to day life.

I still applaud Spyderco for making them; the Smock is cleary well loved. And as I said before, it's rad.
sshook

Post by sshook »

Y'all are amateurs.
The trick is to marry a fellow knife nut.

OR indoctrinate your spouse into becoming a knife nut.
:bug-white-red proud owner of 5 Spyderco folders and 3 excellent Spyderco kitchen knives :bug-white-red

entry-level knife nerd, modder, and fidgeter

If it isn't purple, I don't want it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:49 am

What, if any, folding models do you think qualify as "hard use"? Shaman comes to mind. Maybe the Manix 2 XL. Maybe the Native cheif...

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it could be a great knife for me, but still debating if its worth putting myself in mortal peril :squinting-tongue
For me it is the Endura/Endela/Delica* family and their Salt equivalents, Native line, Manix line, Shaman, and the Amalgam. Other people will say Military 1 & 2, PM2, & P3. Not to overlook those that say "If it needs getting done, use a fixed blade!" Honorable mention to the Lil' Temperance 3 LW.

For work requiring a knife, I consider the Smock to be under the hard use category and above gentlemen's folder category. Other's will disagree and call it pocket jewelry. My use of the term "hard use" excludes all folding prybar knife-like objects, just so you know where I'm coming from.

*Depends on hand size.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sounds like you're pretty new to the game, learn about the knives you already have...your likes and dislikes, will make it easier to decide your next move instead of the honeymoon phase where every knife you see and immediately hold is your newest favorite. Before you know it you'll have 30 knives that you don't really know much about.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ImHereForTheMilitary2

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:26 am
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:09 am
I am now looking at a smok. I think Im going to wait a few days, maybe even a few weeks so I dont get murdered by my wife.
What do you all think

I think if you dilly-dally, you might miss the opportunity to buy the Smok and you'll never get another opportunity.

New wives, on the other hand, are easy to find.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
ImHereForTheMilitary2

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:19 pm
Sounds like you're pretty new to the game, learn about the knives you already have...your likes and dislikes, will make it easier to decide your next move instead of the honeymoon phase where every knife you see and immediately hold is your newest favorite. Before you know it you'll have 30 knives that you don't really know much about.
Sound advice.Thankyou
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sshook wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:09 pm
Y'all are amateurs.
The trick is to marry a fellow

😨

😆

sshook

Post by sshook »

Hey look man. You like what you like
:bug-white-red proud owner of 5 Spyderco folders and 3 excellent Spyderco kitchen knives :bug-white-red

entry-level knife nerd, modder, and fidgeter

If it isn't purple, I don't want it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Some members like and some dislike the Smock . I happen to like mine a lot but also respect other’s opinions. This is one knife I would suggest handling one before buying since it is rather expensive and very unique compared to many models in the Spyderco lineup . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Smock is a winner IMO. Don’t listen to those who claim that the ergos are poor. The handle allows multiple grips and that cutout is a finger choil in disguise. The gorgeous blade shape and the hollow grind pushed me over the edge when I decided to purchase my first Smock. You must handle and use it for a while in order to fully understand its potential. Oh and no, it’s not fat behind the edge. It may not be the best slicer but when it comes to utility cuts it performs like a champ.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 am
don't listen to those who claim that the ergos are poor.
?

It's not a "claim," it's the truth for my grip.

Everyones opinion is just as valid as anyone else. The ergos are bad for my hand. If they're good for yours that's cool, but it doesn't change my own experience handling the knife.

Sure you can use the part of the blade missing an edge as an index choil, but it clearly isn't designed as such. It's got a sharp point waiting to cut you if you try this.

This sort of mentality is bad for honest discussion. It's okay to be critical of things.
:unicorn