Spyderco Store risking users' privacy

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
RustyIron

Spyderco Store risking users' privacy

Post by RustyIron »

During the checkout process, Spyderco's web store rejects orders from users who are using a VPN or other means to protect their privacy. Specifically, I'm using iCloud Private Relay, Apple's standard for protecting users from the prying eyes of network providers, web sites, and hackers. Spyderco rejected my order on two separate occasions. Because I really wanted to place the order, and because it's Spyderco, I overlooked the unreasonable process and turned off my protection to complete the order.

Asking me to turn off browsing protection is analogous to asking me to check my knife and gun before entering a store. It doesn't promote safety, it's potentially hazardous for me, and it's contrary to the way I conduct myself.

I buy a LOT of stuff online, and can't recall ever being rejected for using Apple's iCloud Private Relay. Maybe Spyderco's web gurus can tune up the store and bring it up to speed with modern standards.