Most used VS favourite 🤔

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Most used VS favourite 🤔

Post by JoviAl »

Is it just me or does anyone else have a most used Spyderco that is wildly different to their actual favourite?

I use my Caribbean Leaf SE all the time at work as it is always in my pocket, even though it has taken me months to come to terms with how it looks. It probably gets even more use than my Magnacut Mule (those of you that know me know how much of a huge fanboy I am of that knife!) or my cru-wear Manix 2 XL. My favourite knife though has got to be my S90V CF Yojumbo - it just oozes menace…and KPL…but mainly menace.

Do most of you lovely folk use your favourite the most, or do you have a favourite and a different knife that gets all the work?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Mushroom

Re: Most used VS favourite 🤔

Post by Mushroom »

PPT Perrin is my hands down favorite knife from Spyderco but it’s not even close to my most carried. I’ve carried some form of Lil Native every day for nearly a year now
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Not in my case admittedly. I want my personal favorite knives to be the ones that will get the most use from me.
:bug-red-white
Soup

Post by Soup »

My absolute favorites are probably the GB1 and a Domino. I can't replace them. I generally have a Manix2, PM2, for shaman in the pocket.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My most used knife is my Spyderhawk, definitely not my favorite, but I love it. It's unmatched for yard work and has magical edge retention!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Most used = Maxamet Native 5 (seconds sale online several years ago)

Favourite = GB1

Most used ever Spyderco = Pingo (is in my work go bag for remote travel on light aircraft where I’m at a remote port in Northern Australia usually for a day or three a couple of times a month) I swear this thing has made more sandwiches than I could remember and cut food up for so many dinners where buying dinner is not a option.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Favorites and most used are one and the same for me, and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Pacific Salts and Aqua Salts.
:unicorn
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I'd take it a step further and say Spyderco as a whole is my favorite knife company, but not my most carried.

To your point though, definitely. The Hundred Pacer is my favorite model, but I've rarely carried it lately. My most carried is my Maxamet Manix with RSD scales.

Edit: Not sure why I interpreted it as most carried instead of most used. Spyderco is probably my most used brand
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

To some extent. It’s through use I find out what my favorites are, but there’s always some knives that breaks the rule and has an appeal way beyond what their usability would suggest.

The DF2 FRN wharncliffe is both most used and definitely one of my favorites.

Then there’s the Thin Line Endela, the ugly duckling that has proven so so useful for rougher tasks ever since I decided to take on a challenge and try CE both for the first time as well as over a longer time period.
Based on looks, ergonomics and my obsession with blade to handle metrics, it will probably never appeal to my feelings in the way some other models do and as such it’s unlikely to reach favorite status.

Yesterday I watched what I think is Pete’s (Cedric & Ada’s) latest YT video, and when he explained why the k390 Stretch 2 was his favorite knife, even though he had many that were more premium and/or arguably a more solid lock/construction. The ergonomics, simplicity and unpretentious nature of FRN matched with the high performing and quite forgiving k390 makes up a knife that just begs to be used.
I very much recognize this sentiment with regards to how I so often gravitate toward the Thin Line Endela.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:47 am
Favorites and most used are one and the same for me, and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I am pretty much with Vivi on this one.

My favorites are at the same time my most used ones, well, just because the reason they ARE my favorites exactly is cause I like them in and to use so much. ;)
I actually would not even keep a Spydie, if I did not (like to) actually use it often, and so I think in the long run I technically could not even own a Spyderco that is somehow my favorite but not actually gets used a lot.

Now: I am not saying that I can´t see other aspects and values like just cool looks / special editions / "emotional" attachments to/of knives.
Just to me personally it still comes down to use in the end. If I feel a knife looks very cool or has a special meaning to me or whatever: The more this is, the more I actually want to handle and use it and "get to really know it" .

/Concretely my favorites change(ed) a bit over the years between some Endura / Pac Salt variant, Stretch 1, Stretch XL, and now very recently Goddard.
But the current favorite has an almost 100% chance to also be the most carried and used one (though, actually, this raises another interesting question: Is the most USED one also the most CARRIED one? - Not entirely sure: When it comes to mountaineering and hiking I carry my Salt 2 SE a lot, but when I actually anticipate a reasonable amount of actual use it will always be a larger blade).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:51 am
Edit: Not sure why I interpreted it as most carried instead of most used. Spyderco is probably my most used brand
That’s a blurry line for me.
I often say the DF2 (my EDC for most workdays and causal spare time carry) is my most carried measured by time in pocket.
The Salt 2 (my primary SAR / mountain rescue knife) is my most carried measured by distance in pocket.
My Native 5 salt (my most carried outdoors knife) is probably my most used folding knife measured by time in hand (i.e. use). Although at its current pace, the thin line Endela is slowly catching up.

It’s funny that neither my Native 5 or Endela have been instant favorites, yet I’m starting to see a pattern as to which knives get the most actual use.
A lot, but definitively not all, is probably explained by the simple fact that for folding knives that are carried way more than they’re used, I’ll emphasize other qualities than for a knife that spends relatively way more time in hand.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My most used : Dragonhawk
My fav : KW exclusive RIL Military in S90V
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

mine is more most carried vs favorite. my most carried is my se pac salt, always iwb. most used and favorite is the manix. i rotate others in and out in place of the manix for variety, but the pac salt is always there.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

My most used knife these days is the plain-edge LC200N Atlantic Salt. Since most boats without sails won't let me carry a fixed-blade sheepsfoot rig knife, the plain-edge Atlantic has been my work knife since it was released.

My favorite is the Aqua Salt.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have three categories, like many others I suppose. Most used, most carried, most liked. My most used are a handful of Salts that get used in the garden. My most carried are often Sprints of some sort. My favorites rarely get carried, except for the PITS, because my favorites cannot be easily replaced. Having these three categories also means I suffer from knife gluttony. 🐷
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My most used is probably my military as of late. But I rotate between the CF S90V and the S30V version. Another favorite is my spyderhawk and it's carried essentially every day and everywhere I can carry it. Kris is also a favorite that I use mostly on the weekends now because I work around caustic/corrosive chemicals. No need to chance ruining a knife that's almost impossible to replace. Been carrying my S90V Yojumbo the past 2 weeks instead of the military. Most of my favorites see usage. If Spyderco did a sprint of the Kris I would probably start carrying that all the time.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

My most used is def my Lil Natives, but I carry a variety of them in different steels/scales. Although the SpydieChef might take my top spot soon for most used.

The Dice is possibly my favorite Spyderco. But it rarely gets carried because I almost lost it after a night of drinking.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wanted to start a similar thread the past few days, but did not get to it, so here you go:

Most Used:
Currently either my k390 PM2 or the Centofante 3 (which is my home-EDC at the moment), though that may change once I get finished with thinning my Ayoob SE, or if I decide to get the k390 Leaf Jumper (which might even replace the PM2 for me).

Favorite:
Schempp Bowie - no question about that. As weird as it may sound - basically all Spyderco knives that I had and would have at some point in time described as my favorite were liner or frame locks (Tuff, Brouwer, GB1) from Taichung. I have only realized it now. The fit & finish and the smoothness of the operation seem to trigger my fancy.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Most used for me is also my favorite so I consider myself lucky. The Endura is not my only Spyderco but it is always on hand for use. My old arthritic hands seem to not have any problems and feel just right with the Endura. You can't carry something for 30 years and not get used to it. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm
Most used for me is also my favorite so I consider myself lucky. The Endura is not my only Spyderco but it is always on hand for use. My old arthritic hands seem to not have any problems and feel just right with the Endura. You can't carry something for 30 years and not get used to it. :)

No arthritis so far and not quite 30 years in my case... but that said: Totally agree!! :smlling-eyes

The Endura 4 is without any doubt my "if I could only have one" folder, regardless if at certain points in time I might like other models even a hair better.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)