Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Post by Ramonade »

Can't wait to see the Chief LW available at european dealers !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Netherend wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:48 pm
TimButterfield wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 am
Netherend wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:54 pm
I am curious to see some comparison pictures of the lightweight chief next to similar sized spydies like the endura, mili, Caribbean etc.
While my Chief is not LW, this is a comparison I can make of similar sized knives to those mentioned: Chief, Stretch 2 XL, Endura, Caribbean, PM2
Thank you. The chief blade is not as tall as I imagined it to be and that’s a good thing for pocket carry. What a beautiful clean blade shape .
How do you like your M390 Chief?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Netherend wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:
Netherend wrote:
I am curious to see some comparison pictures of the lightweight chief next to similar sized spydies like the endura, mili, Caribbean etc.
While my Chief is not LW, this is a comparison I can make of similar sized knives to those mentioned: Chief, Stretch 2 XL, Endura, Caribbean, PM2
Thank you. The chief blade is not as tall as I imagined it to be and that’s a good thing for pocket carry. What a beautiful clean blade shape .
when it folds up it's more compact than most other models in its size range too.
:unicorn
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

shane1 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:20 am
How do you like your M390 Chief?
I like it. As expected, it's a decent slicer. Mine is still on the factory edge. With kind of low usage, it hasn't needed a sharpening yet. It's a nice change to not always have the thumb ramp. My usual carry have a bit smaller blade, but this makes a good backup in my bag. It feels a little like a giant version of the Chap I often carry, though with a larger hump at the bottom of the handle. That part is okay if I use a normal grip, but not quite as comfortable when I use the choil. Normal grip has that part under my middle finger which is fine. When using the choil, that part is under my third/ring finger, which isn't quite as comfortable for me. It's good in the kitchen when I want PE instead of SE. It makes a nice steak knife, too. :savouring
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:30 am
Netherend wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:
Netherend wrote:
when it folds up it's more compact than most other models in its size range too.
Here is that same set when closed.
WillyK

Post by WillyK »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 am
So, I ordered one this morning thanks to this picture!
Like I needed another knife, LOL.
Excellent photography work, the pictures should be used in a catalog.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

WillyK wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:55 pm
So, I ordered one this morning thanks to this picture!
Like I needed another knife, LOL.
Excellent photography work, the pictures should be used in a catalog.

Thanks Willy!
And welcome to the forum!
•• Beau
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:10 pm
vivi wrote:
Netherend wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:

the chief looks like it has a nice slim profile for a blade that big
Just one more knife...
vivi

Post by vivi »

carries as well as an endura with the edge of the military.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The endura effectively has the same cutting edge as a chief, ur talking a 4 mm difference
:bug-red-white
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:59 pm
The endura effectively has the same cutting edge as a chief, ur talking a 4 mm difference
now lets see how many millimeters of difference there is between the native and caly 3 handles at the choil ;)

this particular small difference might not matter to you but it does to others.
Tristan_david2001

I mean the military also has a couple mm on the chief, and the chief closed length has a few on a closed endura. It just doesn’t make sense to compare blade to handle ratios like that to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:16 am
I mean the military also has a couple mm on the chief, and the chief closed length has a few on a closed endura. It just doesn’t make sense to compare blade to handle ratios like that to me.
it's not that hard to understand. the chief is as small as an endura when closed. the chief has the same edge as a millie. the millie is a lot bigger closed than an endura.

the comparison illustrates the chief has a good blade to handle ratio. it's not anything to get hung up over.
Tristan_david2001

Except ur not understanding the closed length of the chief is longer than the endura. I just never got the hang up people have on ratios. That isn’t what defines a good design
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:58 am
Except ur not understanding the closed length of the chief is longer than the endura. I just never got the hang up people have on ratios. That isn’t what defines a good design

Ratios (weight to edge length, closed package to blade length, edge holding to corrosion resistance, whatever) of course CAN (but don´t have to) be one of many (!) factors that contribute to a good design, depending on use case and personal preferences.

Examples:
- Salt 2: Great weight to "performance" ratio, a factor in ultralight hiking, mountaineering...
- Stretch 1: Great blade length to closed length ratio: A factor for those who want compact carry, but still a lot of blade

/ And yes, going by Spydercos specs the Chief lightweight is 1 mm longer than an Endura when closed, and offers also 1 mm more cutting edge ( but 6 mm more blade)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
I've never seen someone so worried about 1mm :rofl
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Netherend wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:05 pm
TimButterfield wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:10 pm
vivi wrote:
Netherend wrote:

the chief looks like it has a nice slim profile for a blade that big
It is surprising how not having the raised spydiehole lowers the overall profile. Here are some profile comparisons to highlight this point. You can really see how thin (height) overall the Chief is. Front to back, we have the Chief, PM2, Endura, Stretch 2 XL, and Caribbean.

vivi

Post by vivi »

yep, pretty much the opposite of the manix in that respect. folds up very slim for the size. carries just as well as a pacific salt save for a touch more weight.
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:06 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
I've never seen someone so worried about 1mm :rofl
lol I’m definitely not worried about anything.
vivi

Post by vivi »

So that's why you're in a thread about a knife you don't like going back and forth with me over 1mm? Ok, sure :rofl