Deer Hunting Mule - current and recent steel choices

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
HolySteel

Deer Hunting Mule - current and recent steel choices

Post by HolySteel »

My buddy is a deer hunter and was asking me to help him find a good fixed blade. I would appreciate thoughts on a current or recent Mule steel to build him a knife from. I know this topic has been brought up before, but not since many new mules have been introduced. Thanks.
z1r

Re: Deer Hunting Mule - current and recent steel choices

Post by z1r »

I really like my Magnacut Mule. But the AEB-L MT37P with it's higher toughness than Spy27 and S45VN might be a good candidate.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pretty much any mule is a good choice.

Either of the 2 available would be a good choice.

But personally I think the straight spine SPY27 would be a better profile of a blade.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
mokele

Post by mokele »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:14 am
I am interested in the subject
What about the corrosion resistance? I know AEB-L is good, but T15?
I cut many deer, and cleaning the blade immediately is not always an option. Plus, I am in PNW, so I am often soaking wet for many hours, so IMHO, the hunting knife MUST be as rust-proof as possible. AEB-L is a good candidate, but I would love something else. I would be scared to use 15V, for example
z1r

Post by z1r »

mokele wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:36 pm
standy99 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:14 am
I am interested in the subject
What about the corrosion resistance? I know AEB-L is good, but T15?
I cut many deer, and cleaning the blade immediately is not always an option. Plus, I am in PNW, so I am often soaking wet for many hours, so IMHO, the hunting knife MUST be as rust-proof as possible. AEB-L is a good candidate, but I would love something else. I would be scared to use 15V, for example
Hence my jumping on the Magnacut Mule when offered. Just about talked myself into getting an AEB-L mule too now.
mokele

Post by mokele »

Magnacut would be ideal, but I missed that release. I am torn between M398 (which is still relatively easy to get) and AEBL, and think AEBL might be better being more tough
z1r

Post by z1r »

My thought too. In a fixed knife, I tend to want a tougher blade. I did recently pick up a ZDP-Stretch 2 primarily as aback up knife for skinning and cleaning pigs. The ZDP doesn't dull near as quickly as my fixed blade did. I just don't use it for any prying or such.
mokele

Post by mokele »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:44 pm
My thought too. In a fixed knife, I tend to want a tougher blade. I did recently pick up a ZDP-Stretch 2 primarily as aback up knife for skinning and cleaning pigs. The ZDP doesn't dull near as quickly as my fixed blade did. I just don't use it for any prying or such.
I have exactly this: ZDP-189 Stretch, and it's just does skinning. It doesn't go into limbs and guts though.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

mokele wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:36 pm
Magnacut would be ideal, but I missed that release. I am torn between M398 (which is still relatively easy to get) and AEBL, and think AEBL might be better being more tough
Thanks to everyone for their input.
We're also in the PacNW. I was leaning toward M398 over AEB-L, but I have an extra of each, so if he likes the Mule design I'll probably let him choose.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

SPY27 would be a very good choice. AEB-L would work too, I like a bit more edge holding for butchering deer though.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
mokele

Post by mokele »

What about T15? Is it rust-prone?
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I usually keep a small pump spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in my car first aid kit during the summer. And I switch it out for baby wipes in the winter months. It's like a 2 ounce spray bottle I bought at the dollar store. Id probably take Aeb-l if your going the mule route.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:36 pm
SPY27 would be a very good choice. AEB-L would work too, I like a bit more edge holding for butchering deer though.
edited: I misread your post. My friend said he wanted a little bit longer blade but likes the Mule design.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:28 am
I really like my Magnacut Mule. But the AEB-L MT37P with it's higher toughness than Spy27 and S45VN might be a good candidate.
^ I agree with these suggestions.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Maybe this would be the opportune time to request a mule in a particular steel for those that hunt? Maybe a steel that hasn’t been used yet?
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
wes

Post by wes »

I've personally used maxamet and 4V on elk, but those aren't recent releases. You shouldn't have problems with any of them honestly. My favorite mule currently is magnacut.
mokele

Post by mokele »

I used to use cheap knives on deer until one day got an old black bear. That skin was bulletproof and acted like a sandpaper on all knives. The only knife that worked to the end and didn't get too blunt was my buddy's cold steel with 3v blade, but the design wasn't great. Anyway, got myself a custom d2 knife, hardened to extreme. Worked fine until one day a tip got into a joint and snapped. Ok, got another D2 less hardened, wore it on the belt in leather sheath for several days in the rain - got bad rust (didn't oil the whole blade). So I figured Magnacut would be the best bet, but I missed the sale, and not sure what to get. I wish Spyderco makes another run, but it's unlikely, so I am torn between AEBL and M398 (I am afraid of the M398 snapping in a joint or on a bone since it's very hard, and I am afraid AEBL will be too soft for my needs). I would consider T15, but no one has reported how rust- proof it is yet.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

mokele wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:25 pm
I would consider T15, but no one has reported how rust- proof it is yet.

Rex T15 steel is not going to perform well with corrosion because it contains low amounts of chromium in its chemical composition. Only 4% IIRC….So quite low like most Rex steels
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Being an avid hunter myself, I would prefer a stainless variety. Certainly Magnacut would be nice buy pricey. I love M390 and S90V. They are premium steels with excellent corrosion resistance and hold a great edge forever. If there are still M398 Mules for sale that would be perfect and cheap. It performs similarly.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I couldnt catch the magnacut mule. But i refuse to pay secondary markup to acquire one. So im using a 3.5 bradford guardian in magnacut in my testing. Testing is not completed on that Magnacut or the Aeb-l mule. But previous testing showcases they hold an edge the same. 340 for magz and 320 for Aeb-l. M398 did over 700 but its lack of strength to support 32% carbide volume and being out of stock is why i wouldnt recommend it. My testing has changed to include edge longevity thru touch ups, and ice block impacts to quantify how well a steel/heat treat resists impacts such as bone. Bradford fixed blades are probably the best budget entry if your looking for Magnacut specifically for the steel at a fair price. But the Aeb-l mule which triple B oversaw the heat treat for is the best value for to match requirements. I did have plans to have all 6 tests done on the guardian and the Aeb-l mule but a few things happened that pulled me from testing this week.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."