Anybody else have this kind of wear/patina?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Anybody else have this kind of wear/patina?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just going through my knives, giving them quick touch ups. When I got my Rex45 Shaman, I noticed these weird specs all over the clip side of the blade. I tried wiping it down with Flitz, but that didn't help. It doesn't appear to be rust, but is a sudden odd blemish. I leave my knives out on stands in a room that's typically relatively low humidity. Going to put a light layer of mineral oil on it and hope it doesn't get any worse. Was wondering if anybody else has experienced this with a tool steel, or even more specifically Rex45? I also have a Manix and Native Chief in Rex45, and those don't have any of this.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Re: Anybody else have this kind of wear/patina?

Post by nerdlock »

Not sure if we have the same issue, but my Police 4 K390 has these on its blade.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've seen that on my Rex45, K390 & XHP that didn't have a proper mineral oil coating, it doesn't take much but at least where I live its's necessary.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

My Rex45 and k390 will rust if you look at it wrong. I sold the Rex45. I forced a patina on the k390. I don’t care what it
Looks like as long as it cuts.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks like a fine coat of house dust that has adhered to the blade. It should wipe off with some alcohol or something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:37 pm
It looks like a fine coat of house dust that has adhered to the blade. It should wipe off with some alcohol or something.
That's what I thought too Doc. Though I didn't try alcohol, but figured Flitz was the way to go. Wouldn't hurt to give a alcohol wipe a try when I get home from work today.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:37 pm
That's what I thought too Doc. Though I didn't try alcohol, but figured Flitz was the way to go. Wouldn't hurt to give a alcohol wipe a try when I get home from work today.
I get stuff like that on my knives if they stay in the bottom of my pocket a lot or if they sit up unused out in the open. I rub them really good with alcohol and it comes off. Another thing is to just use soap and water.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050