What knives do you miss?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Road Tripper

What knives do you miss?

Post by Road Tripper »

I didn't find a recent thread on this, and thought it would be interesting to talk about knives you either regret missing out on, or that you regret selling.

One for me is the Yojimbo 2. I had one for a while, and moved it along during downsizing. I do miss it, though, and lost a chance to get one during the recent sale. I'm hoping to have another opportunity in the fall.

There are other wharnies, of course, but there's just something about the Yojimbo design that's compelling.

What do you miss? Perhaps a knife you sold that is now discontinued, or a sprint run that went all too quickly?
anycal

Re: What knives do you miss?

Post by anycal »

This may generate some DM traffic. “Hey, I have one for sale…” 😜

For me, REX 45 PM2. Perhaps a Sage 2.
Peter
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I was just wishing I had bought a backup Tatanka. Prime candidate for a Sprint Run, right there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- Endura in ZDP 189 with the cool british racing green scales.

Found it too hard (or rather too time consuming) to sharpen back then, but would really like to still own it now that my sharpening skills and gear are a bit better

- Endura VG10 ffg with blue scales:

My first ffg Endura, I just like the looks of it, but still sold it.
This one would be easy to get a new one though. Still in regular production of course.

- Zirikote wood scale Military

I always try to keep my array of users as small as possible, and thought that the Endura does about everything the Millie can for me, so I sold the latter.
Overall I still prefer the Endura, but I´d really wish to still have that Millie nevertheless
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Tatanka and Ulize . Want one each ! Lum Tanto FB too ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I once had an ATR, only reason I got rid of it was because it was SE and I'm not a serrations fan. Really wish I'd have gotten a plain edge one instead, would really like to have one of those. That was a cool knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wish i had been around for the dodo and kiwi 4. those are the main ones i would like to own that are before my time of coming back to spyderco.

as far as exclusives, i wish i had a cruwear delica with ticn and od frn. i also wish i had the cruwear manix and yojimbo with dlc and purple g10. man... cruwear gets the best colorways. i'd also like a ladybug delica since it looks like the very obviously obligatory ladybug ladybug doesn't seem like it will happen.

i'm sure there are others, but these are the main ones i can think of off the top of my head.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Regret selling the REC Manix 2 Avocado.

But with the funds I was able to buy for the same money:
-PM2 Crucarta
-BBB Manix 2 15V
-2nd Native 5 LW

Well worth it I think but miss the knife.

The two I do would have liked to have purchased was the St Nick Manix XL 4V and the recent Knife Joy Manix 2 green 20CV. But if a Salt Manix 2 full SE MagnaCut ever comes out it will make up for this two.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I've sold some rare models I thought I could catch again. Now gougers make them out of reach all together.

Mint Dino jimping Military. I haven't seen one since.

Ken Onion Spyker. It had lock rock. Not that bad though. I was just an idiot.

Anodized Spyderfly.

*sigh*
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Living at the outer limits of the established trade routes, I’ve always been afraid to flip knives too soon and then regret it. Hence this hasn’t been a big issue for me, it’s a much bigger issue that I accumulate to many knives before it triggers an overdue purge.
That said, I wouldn’t have flipped my OG Pac salt if I still had it. It doesn’t really bother me that it slipped away, but I think I’d appreciate it a lot more where I currently am on my knife journey.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I truly regret selling my titanium Lum tantos and my plain-edge titanium ATR. I was young(er) and stupid...
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I have yet to sell a Spyderco, but I miss a Schrade that was stolen, and I did miss my Buck folding hunter until Spyderco came up with the Schempp Bowie. Now that Buck is long forgotten.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I miss my first Military Model, an early one, either lost or stolen.

I regret not knowing of the Nirvana when they were barely affordable.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I miss my original Kiwi with jimped bone scales. Only consolation is I gave it to a good friend so I know it's appreciated.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Kiwi and Kopa (or more) and, more to the point, the anticipation of what next in their series might dazzle me. Those are my misses.

I suspect the Sage and Chaparral series, which I have sampled abundantly, have been satisfying but maybe less joyous than the two before my time here.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I miss my OG 50/50 Endura. I think I left it in a truck when I traded it in. :(
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:11 pm
Living at the outer limits of the established trade routes, I’ve always been afraid to flip knives too soon and then regret it. Hence this hasn’t been a big issue for me, it’s a much bigger issue that I accumulate to many knives before it triggers an overdue purge.
That said, I wouldn’t have flipped my OG Pac salt if I still had it. It doesn’t really bother me that it slipped away, but I think I’d appreciate it a lot more where I currently am on my knife journey.
That’s one evocative turn of phrase.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lil temp leaf blade for me. Really nice knife with a very ergonomic handle.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:29 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:11 pm
Living at the outer limits of the established trade routes, I’ve always been afraid to flip knives too soon and then regret it. Hence this hasn’t been a big issue for me…
That’s one evocative turn of phrase.
I chuckled reading that! I’m on the opposite side of that same outer orbit.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Simple. Temperance 1 & 2