Urban pocket carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Urban pocket carry

Post by Doc Dan »

I've been carrying my standard Urban lately. If I don't compare it to the K390 model, this is a pretty good pocket knife. If I didn't have the K390 I would be in ignorant bliss. On its own merits, however, this is a good knife. The action is too difficult, but nobody in Nxx Yxxx is going to get arrested for having a knife that can be flicked, either. It is a good size for urban carry and lets me cut apples like the country boy I am. I just slice off a bit while holding the apple and use the blade to put the slice of apple in my mouth. The knife opens boxes and the mail, and it will open a can of food that has lost its key. I did put a shiny spot on my blade doing that, but the blade held up fine and was still sharp. I just don't need a bigger knife, anymore. Now, if Spyderco would make a knife with a tad longer blade and make it in GOLDEN, CO., then all complaints would disappear.

If I had to cut my way out of a seat belt, split a boot on someone who's broken their leg to relieve pressure and so I could splint it, if I had to cut some insulation, duct tape, whittle a stick or a spoon or a fork, or any of a million things a real pocket knife needs to do, then this knife is up to the task.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Re: Urban pocket carry

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I would love this model so much better in a back lock and micarta scales. It really is a great edc user for its over all size.
:bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:38 am
Now, if Spyderco would make a knife with a tad longer blade and make it in GOLDEN, CO., then all complaints would disappear.
is this not exactly what the ukpk is? 🤔
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

There's a dude in the UK that makes aftermarket scales. I don't like it as much after they shortened it, and the fine frn texture traps too much dirt, but it's still one of my favorites.

Love to see if the metropolitan ever comes out
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Now, if Spyderco would make a knife with a tad longer blade and make it in GOLDEN, CO., then all complaints would disappear.
100%
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:43 am
I would love this model so much better in a back lock and micarta scales. It really is a great edc user for its over all size.
Have you tried the Caly 3?

Same ergonomics, with a back lock. The blade is a little longer, though.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Urban is pretty darn great. I’m reconnecting with my first Para3 in M4, it’s a fantastic knife.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Since the HH versions came out, I’m carrying an Urban far more these days.

My trusty Squeak has been relegated to my smaller tool box (the one that gets 99% of the use, as it’s right here rather than in the shed - it really is remarkable what you can do with a 1/4” socket set and a few extras).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don’t have a ton of use for slippies, but I got the HH Urban in G10 to have a one hander available when such a need arises.
I love the ergos. It’s probably the Spyderco model that has the most perfect fit to my hand size, but to keep beating the dead horse; the unnecessarily short blade keeps me from using it unless I specifically need to carry a slippie for legal reasons. Unfortunately.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:51 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:43 am
Have you tried the Caly 3?

Same ergonomics, with a back lock. The blade is a little longer, though.
Yes Ive had 2 Caly 3’s for a little over a couple years now. I Love the Caly 3. I’m just saying I would definitely end up purchasing the urban design if it were a backlock. I think another good alternative is the kopa though it’s frame is much slimmer, it has the same calypso family ergonomics.
:bug-red-white
Matus

Post by Matus »

The 'basic' Urban is a great little knife. Used it at work a few times (I am an office guy) also on some really thick cable binders. With a little care it worked great and my colleagues were pretty impressed (NOBODY carries a pocket knife around here). It opens letters, boxes, can slice a sausage when on the road and all you get is a plastic fork. It does not scare anyone. And I like the strong back spring - it gives me a little more piece of mind. It also has one of the best ergonomics for a knife this small and makes the Chaparral feel like a too-bony top-model.

Yes, I also have k390 and it has thinner edge and sleeker looking blade, but the back spring is not really weak and I can not do anything about that. I am actually considering turning it into a fixed-blade. Just need to find someone with a laser-welding machine.

So for me the Urban is a great knife that punches well above its weight. It deserves a 'little gem' seal IMO.

EDIT: I would love to see Urban with a back-lock (or any lock, really)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
hobbyist

Post by hobbyist »

I have all these same thoughts about my dragonfly wharncliffe. I just don’t need something bigger. The vg10 is great. K390 is an option.

These small knives are awesome.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:43 pm
The 'basic' Urban is a great little knife. Used it at work a few times (I am an office guy) also on some really thick cable binders. With a little care it worked great and my colleagues were pretty impressed (NOBODY carries a pocket knife around here). It opens letters, boxes, can slice a sausage when on the road and all you get is a plastic fork. It does not scare anyone. And I like the strong back spring - it gives me a little more piece of mind. It also has one of the best ergonomics for a knife this small and makes the Chaparral feel like a too-bony top-model.

Yes, I also have k390 and it has thinner edge and sleeker looking blade, but the back spring is not really weak and I can not do anything about that. I am actually considering turning it into a fixed-blade. Just need to find someone with a laser-welding machine.

So for me the Urban is a great knife that punches well above its weight. It deserves a 'little gem' seal IMO.

EDIT: I would love to see Urban with a back-lock (or any lock, really)

The CAT is almost ergonomically identical, has a liner lock, is available in Bd1N, and won't break the pocket book.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:33 pm
The CAT is almost ergonomically identical, has a liner lock, is available in Bd1N, and won't break the pocket book.
How do I keep manage living under rock is really puzzling me ... thank you!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Glad I could help. There was just a thread singing this knifes praises. Best of luck to you on the endless quest for the perfect EDC.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
No. The UKPK is larger. I do like the action of the UKPK better, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:29 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
No. The UKPK is larger. I do like the action of the UKPK better, though.
you said a tad longer blade... that sounds like you wanted something a little bigger, which the ukpk is. you could understand my confusion, right?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

The UKPK has a slightly different handle shape and length. Maybe what doc means is to keep the Urban's closed length, the same, but stretch out the blade a bit longer? I also like the Urban's shape and length much better than the UKPK.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Matus

Post by Matus »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:07 am
The UKPK has a slightly different handle shape and length. Maybe what doc means is to keep the Urban's closed length, the same, but stretch out the blade a bit longer? I also like the Urban's shape and length much better than the UKPK.
I happy to see that I am not the only one that handle shape/design on Urban is even better than UKPK and it has a lot of potential in a slightly larger knife. Absolutely!

I also love the ratio of thickness-to-width of the handle. It is actually not super slim (like on Chaparral) and thus sits a lot better in hand.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:31 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:07 am
I happy to see that I am not the only one that handle shape/design on Urban is even better than UKPK and it has a lot of potential in a slightly larger knife. Absolutely!

I also love the ratio of thickness-to-width of the handle. It is actually not super slim (like on Chaparral) and thus sits a lot better in hand.
For my hand size I don’t think it’s possible to beat the ergonomics of the Urban handle, but with the unnecessarily short blade it’s been given I’m tempted to get an UKPK as well. Beyond tempted actually, and I’ve decided to try the MC salt when it shows up in EU stores.

I understand the rationale for shortening the blade to its current length, but I can’t help being a bit disappointed. The Urban is / could be a very size efficient design, that allows for quite a lot of edge length in a comparatively short handle. Unfortunately this potential is not utilized fully in its current form.

Where I live the law doesn’t really take into account blade length or if a knife is locking or non locking, they’re both just as good/bad, so irrespective of the chosen retention mechanism, I hope that some day the Urban handle will be fitted with the blade (length) it deserves.