Side-by-Side: tale of two shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rookandalbie

Side-by-Side: tale of two shaman

Post by Rookandalbie »

Hey guys,

Hoping we could do a little group sleuthing. These are two Shaman that I have, with some noticeable differences between the two. I genuinely cannot tell if these are differences within production knives, or if there is significance in terms of authenticity; I became concerned when I noticed some (minor) differences in the knives and packaging, so I'm hoping to turn to the knife community for some pointers.

One is an exclusive for I believe knifeworks and is a forest green g10 CTS 204P. The other is a Z-Wear Micarta Shaman.The 204p is noticeably heavier, which could be the g10. That being said the g10 is exceptionally smooth - I had a para3 from BentoBox and the g10 was very textured, this shaman is incredibly slick, granted it has rounded rather than square edges, but the whole thing is slick compared to the para3.
The z-wear micarta has a smoother action out of the gate, but the lockup on the 204p knife sounds louder/feels more crisp.

The bug logo on each blade passes the eye test, but when i run my fingers over it, the bug on the 204p knife feels etched in whereas I feel very little texture from the z-wear micarta shaman on the bug logo.
side to side.png
On the rear side of the blade, more letters from the beginning of the word "golden" from golden, co are visible on the 204p knife than the z-wear. Lastly, on the compression lock, the piece that contacts your finger as the blade disengages protrudes slightly further on the 204p
gldn.png
A couple slight difference in boxes, the back of the 204p box has a TM next to the phrase "reliable high performance" and there are no periods (.) between the letters USA on the side. the 204p box on the other hand, doesn't have the TM on the back, but does have the periods between U.S.A. on the side. The Z-wear micarta shaman came with from what I can tell 1 silica packet (not two) but it looks the same as every other one ive ever seen, however there was no spyderco logo sticker in the box, which may well have been taken out by the person who sold me the knife; point is i'm not worried about the sticker in and of itself... Front of both boxes looks good, and I know there have been some changes to the box at various points in time, so can you guys take a look at these pictures and tell me if anything jumps out at you?

204p box
204pbox.png
204pside.png
z-wear box
micarta box.png
micarta box2.png