Maxamet Blade Finishes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Maxamet Blade Finishes

Post by HolySteel »

Sage 1 Maxamet just arrived. I was surprised that the blade finish of this one, as well as the ParaMilitary 2, is described as 'Satin'. There must be a lot of leeway in that description.

Zipper

Re: Maxamet Blade Finishes

Post by Zipper »

I think you are right.
I’m not a professional metal worker, so I don’t pretend to be an authority. In my mind I think of ‘satin’ as the finish short of ‘polished’. I am sure our resident metal workers will chime in and correct me.
Are both those blades Maxamet. If they are, it highlights the difference in technique and tools between Golden and Taichung.
It’s amazing how much sandwash, beadblast and stonewash hide imperfections. I suppose that is why with cost in mind, they are popular finishes in production knives and give a certain consistency across a product range.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If that is a Maxamet PM2 I believe all the Golden Maxamet models were stonewash finished. Some dealer specs on the PM2 Maxamet say satin which is incorrect. Some dealers say stonewash which is correct.

Now, I did just compare the Cruwear PM2 and the Sage 5 LW and both of those satin finishes have grind marks, but you could say the Taichung is a little more defined or visable.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:43 pm
If that is a Maxamet PM2 I believe all the Golden Maxamet models were stonewash finished. Some dealer specs on the PM2 Maxamet say satin which is incorrect. Some dealers say stonewash which is correct.

Now, I did just compare the Cruwear PM2 and the Sage 5 LW and both of those satin finishes have grind marks, but you could say the Taichung is a little more defined or visable.
Yes, it's Maxamet and to me does look like Stonewash, so thanks for that explanation. It also has a lot of 'patina' (bought it 2nd hand), so it doesn't look quite the same as other Stonewash knives I have. My assumption is that the Stonewash finish is going to result in a nicer patina than the Sage 1.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Maybe. I have a GB2 (M4) with a satin finish from Taichung and it has a splendid patina!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The Golden Maxamet and 15v both have a Stonewashed finish. Spyderco Satin generally refers to a grind finish of high luster, with obvious grind lines.

IME, the Stonewash finish wipes clean easier and doesn't hold as much moisture, resulting a reduced risk of corrosion. I just spent a week camping in the rain on the coast with the 15v and there is not a spot of rust despite hiking in the rain nearly every day. Meanwhile, my K390 P4 with rough grind lines started to patina immediately.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:45 pm
The Golden Maxamet and 15v both have a Stonewashed finish. Spyderco Satin generally refers to a grind finish of high luster, with obvious grind lines.

IME, the Stonewash finish wipes clean easier and doesn't hold as much moisture, resulting a reduced risk of corrosion. I just spent a week camping in the rain on the coast with the 15v and there is not a spot of rust despite hiking in the rain nearly every day. Meanwhile, my K390 P4 with rough grind lines started to patina immediately.

What you say makes complete sense, and your experience validates it. My stonewash PM2 arrived 2nd-hand, with micro-pitting around the Spydiehole on the show side, and along the top edge on the other side, and various other 'patina' spots. It was obvious that this was a user and I assume that the previous owner didn't wipe it off often after use. But I don't know. After polishing, cleaning and sharpening, it quickly became one of my 2-3 favorite knives.

I'm really looking forward to using the Sage 1 Maxamet - other than tomorrow's hiking/fishing trip, it will be in my pocket most of the time.