Machining marks on BNIB 15v Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: Machining marks on BNIB 15v Shaman?

Post by Naperville »

RyanAnchors wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:15 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:58 pm
RyanAnchors wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:03 pm
I’m leaving a list of my knives and other stuff of value with the exact model names and what they’re worth at the time, etc. If I’m blessed to get to very old age, I’ll sell them before I go probably. Rather make sure people that appreciate them get them rather than just having them auctioned for pennies or worse. But if anyone in my family takes an interest in that kinda stuff then they can have them for sure
I already have a detailed list of all of my knives but it is not up to date. I sold 1/2 of the knives that I had in 2022. I have to update the list, add new knives purchased, and lookup approximate current values and give them a ballpark on what a knife value may be 10yrs out if the list is not updated.
Yeah, that’s a good thing to do. Witnessed too many horror stories. I worked for a large gun/knife dealer for years and people would come in sometime trying to sell a whole collection for whatever we would give them. Luckily for them we didn’t buy used anyway, but we always tried to help them avoid getting ripped off. I spent two hours one day and an hour another day helping some lady price her dad’s collection even though we would make $0 on that time I spent. She was really nice so she asked if there was anything I personally liked at the end. She had a BNIB 1966 Colt Trooper .357 with all original everything, unfired. She already knew what they were worth which honestly wasn’t as much as you would think at the time (they’re worth a lot more now). She gave me a really great deal on it for helping her out and sold me all of the random bits of ammo he had collected (all kinds of weird calibers, a few boxes each). I felt good about it since she at least knew what she was doing. I would roll in my grave if someone I loved sold my knife collection for $100 or even $1000 or something to someone who was just going to turn around and flip it at a huge profit. I would rather give it away to someone cool that would appreciate it than have that happen.
That was really nice of you!

Initially I thought that I would leave a will and direct them to take the knives and my books down to the nearest US Marine Recruiting Station. I was never a US Marine, just figured my tastes are eclectic and they might find some of the knives and books good enough to pass around.

Then I thought of the time and money that I put into all of it, the research and the purchases of everything. I figure now that I'll just leave everything to my nephew and niece. It's so hard to get ahead anywhere in the world, and maybe some valuable family hand-me-downs will brighten their day.

I collect books on prepping related topics, medicine, wars, small unit tactics, biotech, disasters....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
spydiefan01

Post by spydiefan01 »

i had some really bad qc on my 15v shaman as well, anytime I mention it the mods do not approve my posts lol
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

spydiefan01 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:53 am
i had some really bad qc on my 15v shaman as well, anytime I mention it the mods do not approve my posts lol
Hi, spydiefan01:
You had what appeared to be dry G-10, but if you didn't send your knife in for evaluation from our Warranty & Repair Department, we can't really say for sure. Unfortunately, low-quality images aren't usually helpful enough for us to give you a definitive answer. I won't get into a more detailed explanation since I can't say for certain what the issue was, but I don't believe "really bad qc" is an accurate description.

As for not approving your posts, you've only had one that I literally just disapproved (the reason for disapproval was noted for your understanding).

We welcome your participation on our forum, and we listen to all feedback (good, bad, or otherwise), but it's difficult to have a discussion if the information is vague and you don't provide more information when requested. I know you're relatively new to our forum, but please understand we aren't like other forums.

Make it a good day.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here’s the blade on my Manix 2.

This can only be seen IF the light hits it right. There is no detectable difference in the surface finish between the two areas on the blade if you run your fingernail across it. That’s because the final finish is naturally rougher than any difference between the two areas.

The blade will probably never look better. After using the knife it’ll get scratches and a bit of a patina with age.

I’m not bothered by it. It doesn’t affect form, fit, or function as we say in the spacecraft biz.
Attachments
A53F11A1-BC97-4B45-8A4F-920CD30EB3B4.jpeg