Show your Vegetable Gardens and Harvests

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Show your Vegetable Gardens and Harvests

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well after seeing a lot of vegetable/knife posts on the “What Spyderco is in your Pocket Today” thread, I think it’s about time to see how many of you Spyderco forum members have green thumbs…plus there are some here that tend to talk too much (namely myself) and I don’t want to flood the gold standard of threads…so let’s see your gardens,harvests,recipes,compost piles,ideas…whatever floats your boat…I’ll gladly start the show with my tiny little raised gardens that punch above their weight 🌽🥕🥒🥦🥗🍆🥔🌶️🥬

2x12 so I have to go vertical
Deck hand rail is 11’3”
5x8 plug-n-play just put in this spring
5x15 initial plot
Tractor Supply watering trough/tank
Seeing red
Up and over the handrail
Really need to build another one for squash/zucchini cuz they take up some space
Typical harvest every couple of days in summer
Last year’s calendar shot
HolySteel

Re: Show your Vegetable Gardens and Harvests

Post by HolySteel »

Well-done!

Things are moving along more slowly here in the PacNW. After the deer super-pruned our tomatoes and peppers last year, I moved the peppers into the fenced-off part of our yard. They'll eventually hop over and start eating again, but for now we are safe. The tallest ones are Paprika and Esplette. The short ones are Scotch Bonnets, which seldom produce here (not hot enough), but I keep trying. Perhaps this year.

Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:34 am
Well-done!

Things are moving along more slowly here in the PacNW. After the deer super-pruned our tomatoes and peppers last year, I moved the peppers into the fenced-off part of our yard. They'll eventually hop over and start eating again, but for now we are safe. The tallest ones are Paprika and Esplette. The short ones are Scotch Bonnets, which seldom produce here (not hot enough), but I keep trying. Perhaps this year.

Yeah I love deer in venison form… we have a problem with rabbits here too 🤔
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mrj wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:30 am
Beautiful and organized…just the right size before it becomes too much work and high-fenced too…Bravo👏👏👏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Farm to table, come on forumites show your goods…taking a break from Wimbledon and gonna cut the grass but I’ll check in later …keep em’ coming, it’s awesome
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:45 pm
Farm to table, come on forumites show your goods…taking a break from Wimbledon and gonna cut the grass but I’ll check in later …keep em’ coming, it’s awesome
Yes, that's a great garden. Reminds me of the gardens everyone in my Great-grandmother's neighborhood in north Louisiana had growing up. Their entire front yard, which was a quarter acre or so, was planted with yellow-neck squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and purple hull peas. They traded for other things. The garden was gone by the time I was ten or so, and of course we didn't take photographs of such things. All the roads were red dirt and the houses looked like something out of a Faulkner novel - white wood framed, often with quirky personal designs.

I will do a 'before and after' deer fence here in a moment. This will be a great tomato harvest, as it is every year. The peppers are always the question mark.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Uh I think I put my first thread in the wrong section…a good friend just informed me it should have been in off-topic so I’m gonna see how I can remedy this
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just reach out to Kristi @TazKristi, and she can move it. Maybe send her a PM. She is awesome like that!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:00 pm
Just reach out to Kristi @TazKristi, and she can move it. Maybe send her a PM. She is awesome like that!
Thanks Jeff, I messaged her about an hour? or so ago…if I don’t hear back by tomorrow morning then I’ll email her 👊
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Beautiful gardens, great work. I won't show you mine, it's not Beautiful. I've done well with it though.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

gull wing wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:50 pm
Beautiful gardens, great work. I won't show you mine, it's not Beautiful. I've done well with it though.
Who cares if it’s not beautiful, neither is mine but if it produces then that’s what counts…I have a good friend in Tennessee that fenced off a section of his pasture to keep the goats out and basically threw out some seed (well he lightly raked it and no-tilled some seed/small plants)…well there were weeds everywhere but I’ve never to this day seen anything that rivaled the production he got…I asked him what his secret was and he said “nothing really, just some chicken poop and rain I guess “ he didn’t care what it looked like and even said “she ain’t much to look at but she’s a good un “ 😉
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Do any of you guys use permaculture methods to maximise your yields? I’ve planted a large section of my food forest at work using permaculture tenets for mutually supportive plants and it’s been a revelation - not only do they symbiotically support each other, but the soil quality seems to improving each year from a claggy tropical clay to more of a tilth.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

So beautiful SG89 !
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

70983923678__4C1E5E8C-C464-4801-898D-92C4C329E14D-compressed.jpeg
IMG_6048-compressed.jpeg
IMG_7853-compressed.jpeg
70983924505__D62B786B-F565-48F0-A31F-6E30163508DD-compressed.jpeg
IMG_7441-compressed.jpeg
IMG_6051-compressed.jpeg
It’s mostly berries and greens this season but it’s still a fun project to do with my kids.
Just one more knife...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I'm growing a few tomatoes, okra, squash and cucumbers along with an assortment of pepper plants this year myself. I've been a hobbyist at gardening for quite a few years my own self. I consider myself pretty good at tomato growing especially.

I do have a word of caution as far as using Spyderco blades to use on fresh fruit and vegetables. If you are cutting up veggies with a ZDP-189 blade ( or any supersteel blade for that matter) do wash it off immediately after using. I cut up a bunch of tomatoes a few years back with a ZDP-189 blade and forgot to wash it off>> the next morning the blade looked as though it had been soaked in industrial strength acids and/or caustic liquids. It was so bad I literally had to send the blade back to Spyderco's warranty & repair department. Don't learn any hard lessons like I did that one year. Do immediately wash your blades in fresh water to avoid a disaster.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:00 am
I'm envious of you all who can get hot peppers to produce. The first year I planted a garden here, eight years ago, I got a ton of Scotch Bonnet fruit. Never more than a few per plant since, and zilch last year.

But I can feel it this year :party-face
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 am
Do any of you guys use permaculture methods to maximise your yields? I’ve planted a large section of my food forest at work using permaculture tenets for mutually supportive plants and it’s been a revelation - not only do they symbiotically support each other, but the soil quality seems to improving each year from a claggy tropical clay to more of a tilth.
I have not but would like to try…I’ve seen some videos on it and it’s crazy the yields…I do however have a pretty good compost pile built up by spring…I change and or add to existing soil each year and rotate crops…if I had more space I’d experiment more with it…next on my list is a drip system for irrigation…I’d sure like to hear your history with it and see some pics
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

SG89 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:00 am
Winner winner chicken dinner!!! Off the charts beautiful…and drip irrigation too 👏👏👏 I know from the “Show your flowers and plants” thread that you grow from seed and possess one particular photo of an incredible heirloom tomato harvest 😉