Origin of the STEEL in USA Made Spyderco's. Hope Sal reads.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Origin of the STEEL in USA Made Spyderco's. Hope Sal reads.

Post by akapennypincher »

Wonder if say the Spyderco's like Paramilitary that is made in Golden uses USA MADE STEEL. We do not mill much steel in USA any longer. Japanese, Koreans, Germans, and last the Chinese make a lot of Steels.

Buddy use to work at US Steel in PA, they actually took people training fees from up and coming Chinese Steel Builders to train their people at US Steel to make Steel. As my buddy said at time we are training away our jobs. Senior management could not see this happening, WRONG.

He was right. hopefully Sal will chine in about STEELS ORIGIN, made comment on who make BEST STEEL.

Thx. :cheap-sunglasses
JRinFL

Re: Origin of the STEEL in USA Made Spyderco's. Hope Sal reads.

Post by JRinFL »

As far as I know, CPM steels are still made in the US. Spyderco also uses steels made in Japan and Europe. They have always been open to where there steels are sourced.
Of course, the base steel in Chinese made Spydercos use Chinese steels. They can also use steels sourced for other countries including US made steels.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Sprints notwithstanding, I think Spyderco often uses local steel (Taichung being the major exception with lots of US steel, but their are others). You see a lot of m390, n690 in the Italian made knives. VG10 or h1/h2 is in nearly all of the seki line and 8crmov in the Chinese lines. The golden models generally use US steel.

I obviously don't know their motives, but I think it just makes sense logically and logistically to use as local source for something a heavy as steel.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

“Best steel” is a topic that gets constantly debated in every knife forum. I don’t think it’s in the best interest of a knife maker who sells variants like Spyderco to promote one over another. If you like US made steel, stick with anything stamped “CPM” and you’re Golden.
Danke

Post by Danke »

They told me it comes from the PLANET EARTH because we've got the best steel in whole SOLAR SYSTEM!

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:39 am
They told me it comes from the PLANET EARTH because we've got the best steel in whole SOLAR SYSTEM!

If we ever quit fighting each other on the Earth we may just get off this rock and go see what elements and iron ores exist on other planets and moons.

I was willing as a young man to work in space, but I'm 63 now and those days are gone.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

Best steel? Depends on what you use it for.

It really comes down to opinion. And everybody has one 😋
Top 5 EDC Spydies: S45VN Para3, S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Carpenter, maker of Bd1N and XHP is a U.S. Steel manufacturer. Spyderco has done business with them quite awhile and actually worked with them directly on Bd1 and Bd1N.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I read the original post several times but I still don’t know what it is saying.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I think the steel from the vicinity of Betelgeuse is the best. Just be careful if you hire a Vogon ship to transport it to Earth... they might try to read their poetry to you.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:01 pm
I think the steel from the vicinity of Betelgeuse is the best. Just be careful if you hire a Vogon ship to transport it to Earth... they might try to read their poetry to you.

I'll beg to differ with you here, as I think Ganymede pushes the boundaries of steel much farther. Vogon poetry, however, is indeed horrible.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I believe all Crucible (CPM) & Carpenter (CTS) steels used by Spyderco are made in the U.S. even if a knife is made elsewhere.

Here are some of them:

CPM-15V
CPM-20CV
CPM-154
CPM-CruWear
CPM-M4
CPM-MagnaCut
CPM-S30V
CPM-S35VN
CPM-S45VN
CPM-S90V
CPM-S110V
CPM-SPY27
CTS-204P
CTS-BD1N
CTS-XHP
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pennypincher,

As mentioned, and listed, most of the steels that we use in Golden are US made either by Crucible in NY or Carpenter in PA.

As to best, I always say, "no best, all good, just different".

I have to agree with Spicy Suplex, the Ganymedian steel made in "Saltu" (just above the equator) is the best, outside of Earth, but alas, no poetry?

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Another question would be for say ParaMilitary2. It has US-made steel and is manufactured in the U.S. However, is it safe to say that the G-10, clip, screws, etc. are also manufactured in the U.S.?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Danke

Post by Danke »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:21 am
Danke wrote:

If we ever quit fighting each other on the Earth we may just get off this rock and go see what elements and iron ores exist on other planets and moons.

I was willing as a young man to work in space, but I'm 63 now and those days are gone.
If you're a Sci Fi guy read "Old Man's War".

For the rest of use we'll meet this halfway. Next PM2 Sprint Run can me meteorite steel.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Mule Series should help with steel types and choices, as time goes by?
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 pm
Naperville wrote:
Danke wrote:

For the rest of use we'll meet this halfway. Next PM2 Sprint Run can me meteorite steel.
:squinting-tongue

Will take a look at "Old Man's War."

Meteorite steel is beautiful. I've seen it on watch faces. Would have to be a very limited run of knives. It is very pricey, not sure that I could afford it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Danke

Post by Danke »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:53 am
Danke wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 pm
Naperville wrote:
Danke wrote:

:squinting-tongue

Will take a look at "Old Man's War."

Meteorite steel is beautiful. I've seen it on watch faces. Would have to be a very limited run of knives. It is very pricey, not sure that I could afford it.
I"d have the same worries I always have when natural materiel is involved. I'd worry about getting a "good" one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:42 pm
I read the original post several times but I still don’t know what it is saying.
I am similarly confused.

Is the OP implying that globalization has denied knifemakers their American sources?

If that is the implication, then I wonder if the OP is actually asking whether the steel that the apparently few surviving American mills offer is not as good as what the once many more ones offered.

If so, I think there’s a lot to unpack and correct here.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”