Left or right-handed knife user?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Left
35%
Right
55%
Skillfully both
11%

Total votes: 66

Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Simple as it sounds, curious if the forum falls in line with the ten percent of us rule.

Thanks!
Wartstein

Re: Left or right-handed knife user?

Post by Wartstein »

Funnily I can operate all Spyderco lock types with each hand quite easily (opening and closing), but for actually using the knife: Strictly right handed.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Fun question! I'm left handed but carried knives in my right front pocket and used them righty for years since that was typically just what was available. But ambidextrous spyderco models from the 90s are what actually started my appreciation for quality, well thought-out knives of all kinds.

Having a hole that was accessible with both hands, plus the reversible barrel clip, felt like something from 30 years in the future. I still distinctly remember the first time I switched over a spyderco endura clip, put it in my left pocket, and opened it lefty haha.

Since that's now a pretty commonplace option, I don't really use knives right-handed unless I need to for some reason. And I certainly wouldn't describe my righty knife use as skillful these days 😆

But I'm really curious to hear the thoughts and experiences of other lefty users here! Especially since this is one of many things spyderco did first, did best (in my opinion), and waa the first thing that drew me to the brand.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I can use my knives left handed, but I would not call it particularly skillful. As such, I voted right-handed. I have carried weak side for years now, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m a lefty , but usually have at least two knives in left/right pockets . I can operate some right hand knives , for example the PM2 . I will never purchase a dedicated high end knife that is right hand regardless if clip can be switched . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

Lefty here and very grateful that Sal and his company offer so many models that are either ambidextrous or in special left-handed sprint runs. Thanks.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Righty only! Since I suffer from alien hand syndrome my left hand can't be trusted with a knife. :face-clouds
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
cjk

Post by cjk »

From what I've read of the past, this forum will probably have a lot more lefties than one might expect.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Lefty here. I can operate folders right handed but prefer to stick with my strong side.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Lefty, but knife-ambi and carry right.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Righty.

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I use my left hand for fine movements like writing, and my right for large movements like throwing a ball. So for normal cutting chores like food prep and cardboard boxes, it's lefty.

I carry, open, and close righty however, because neural tumors in my left hand make it a little more difficult to manipulate the knife in those movements (but fortunately don't bother me at all in cutting movements). So yes, I draw and open the knife right-handed, and then move it to my left hand. ',:-| For slashing or stabbing, I'd be fine with the knife in either hand but, thankfully, those are unlikely tasks.

I've said before that speed of deployment is not important to me, and that comfort in hand is my primary reason for choosing and locating clips, so they often end up being replaced and/or located opposite of what you'd expect for a lefty.

Another unexpected complication caused by the tumors is that knives feel different in each hand. For example, when I hold a LeafJumper in my right hand I can understand why its ergos get nothing but raves. But in my left hand it's meh, so mine will soon find a home with someone who can appreciate it.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I try to carry both right and left-handed, but "skillfully" is an awfully strong word in my case. ;)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:17 am
I use my left hand for fine movements like writing, and my right for large movements like throwing a ball. So for normal cutting chores like food prep and cardboard boxes, it's lefty.

I carry, open, and close righty however, because neural tumors in my left hand make it a little more difficult to manipulate the knife in those movements (but fortunately don't bother me at all in cutting movements). So yes, I draw and open the knife right-handed, and then move it to my left hand. ',:-| For slashing or stabbing, I'd be fine with the knife in either hand but, thankfully, those are unlikely tasks.

I've said before that speed of deployment is not important to me, and that comfort in hand is my primary reason for choosing and locating clips, so they often end up being replaced and/or located opposite of what you'd expect for a lefty.

Another unexpected complication caused by the tumors is that knives feel different in each hand. For example, when I hold a LeafJumper in my right hand I can understand why its ergos get nothing but raves. But in my left hand it's meh, so mine will soon find a home with someone who can appreciate it.
Lefty here as well and very similar to you I use left hand for control and my right for power. However I mostly carry and open left handed then move it to my right. I occasionally use my left for cutting but I feel more comfortable using my right. Probably picked up the habit from how I eat. I never swap fork and knife to cut up food, fork stays in left hand.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:13 pm
I never swap fork and knife to cut up food, fork stays in left hand.
Never thought about it before, but neither do I. Preparing food I hold the knife lefty, but eating it I hold righty. Go figure.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Lefty, formerly semi-ambi. My left hand bias has become much stronger as I get older. I can use a knife right-handed, but fine control would take a good deal of practice at this point.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:33 pm
Lefty, formerly semi-ambi. My left hand bias has become much stronger as I get older. I can use a knife right-handed, but fine control would take a good deal of practice at this point.
This is me as well.

I've always eaten and written left handed, yet always played guitar like a righty. I used to carry and use right hand specific knives when I was in my 20s and 30s. I used to shoot a pistol right handed as well. I'm in my mid-40s now, I want to use my left hand for knives and shooting pistols. I still have my 1911 and right handed knives, but now I will only mess with fully(or nearly fully) ambidextrous knives and pistols. These days, my go-to pistol is my Gen 1. Walther PPQ, and I stick with Spyderco backlocks for folders.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:31 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:13 pm
I never swap fork and knife to cut up food, fork stays in left hand.
Never thought about it before, but neither do I. Preparing food I hold the knife lefty, but eating it I hold righty. Go figure.
Never thought about it either, but I've always done the same thing. If I'm cutting up something like a plated steak at the dinner table with a fork and a knife, the knife always goes in my right hand. Interesting !
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It’s funny. Something of a hodgepodge here too. Rifle right-handed, pistol left-handed, guitar right, drums left, bat right, throw left, write left, eat left.. it’s confusing! 😂
Last edited by jwbnyc on Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I don’t use knives in my left hand but I do fidget with knives in my left hand. I actually like fidgeting with righty liner locks more with my left hand because of hole/thumb stud access and pulling the liner to close.

If Spyderco made a model in a lefty liner lock I liked I would probably buy that over a righty lock.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”