Alternative sheaths for MT

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
mokele

Alternative sheaths for MT

Post by mokele »

Basically looking for inexpensive leather sheath, as I don't like the one offered. Someone suggested an Ottoza sheath from Amazon, I bought it, but it's way too big, the whole knife goes in there with the handle (3D halpern scales). If someone uses that sheath, how did you modify it? If someone bought an alternative, which one?
Thank you everybody.
GeneH

Re: Alternative sheaths for MT

Post by GeneH »

Can you show a picture of the sheath next to your Mule for reference?

Also, what is your leatherwork or handyman skill and how much you want to put into the mods?
1095 AUS8 S3 154CM VG10 Nitro V and now - 15V Mule! :bug-white-red
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I like the way the Boltaron rides, with the handle above the belt, but prefer leather.

When I get around to my Mule, I'll try to build one like that. We have an annual event whereas venders come and sell goods and there is always lots of leather available.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Make one. Or ask a local leather worker to, they aren’t or won’t be expensive. You will be surprised what a local leather maker can do and how happy they are to make a custom sheath.

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I don’t know how to work leather. And I’m sure a custom one will be expensive. Try kydex. It’s cheap looks and performs great. Real easy to work and finish.
Attachments
IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2194.jpeg
Worm

Post by Worm »

Here's a comparison shot between Spyderco's leather sheath and a "Hiker 100" from brisa.
The brisa sheath accommodates thicker handles and has a dangler.
The belt loop only rides a bit higher.
Attachments
20230621_125630.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Duncan,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Worm wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:24 am
Here's a comparison shot between Spyderco's leather sheath and a "Hiker 100" from brisa.
The brisa sheath accommodates thicker handles and has a dangler.
The belt loop only rides a bit higher.
I'm really interested by this. I wanna learn sheath-making but finding a european source for a Mule compatible sheath is good too.
How's the fit ? Is it possible another sheath from brisa would fit the Mules better ?

I have lots of personnal Mules and no way to store them except my 3 sheaths lol
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Worm

Post by Worm »

Most brisa outdoor blades and knives are drop point:
so, from my research this Hiker sheath is the only which is good for leaf / sheepsfoot / wharncliffe shapes
it also has this width-step which acts as a stop for the Mule Team's handle-nub / finger-guard so the blade won't go too deep

Regarding fit:
for halpern flat scales (10,3 mm): not good (original sheath better)
for halpern 3D contoured (16 mm): ok, less retention than Spyderco sheath (but good enough because deaper in sheath)
for less contoured custom scales (17 to 19 mm): very good retention (this handle thickness does not fit Spyderco sheath)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Worm wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 am
so, from my research this Hiker sheath is the only which is good for leaf / sheepsfoot / wharncliffe shapes
it also has this width-step which acts as a stop for the Mule Team's handle-nub / finger-guard so the blade won't go too deep

Regarding fit:
for halpern 3D contoured (16 mm): ok, less retention than Spyderco sheath (but good enough because deaper in sheath)
for less contoured custom scales (17 to 19 mm): very good retention (this handle thickness does not fit Spyderco sheath)
Thanks a lot, Since I'm making scales myself I tend to go more "pronounced" on the contouring on my Mules, so I think it will be a good fit ! Brisa is a dealer is used many times but since they ask for a minimum of 30€ for each order I'm gonna buy 2 sheaths directly, if it has a good fit I might just add it as an option for people ordering a custom handle from me ^^ I would definitely use the Spyderco sheath but being in France it makes it pretty expensive once it gets here.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

check out Tandy leather. I got into using kydex and it has been easier and much more rewarding.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:43 pm
Worm wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 am

Regarding fit:
Thanks a lot, Since I'm making scales myself I tend to go more "pronounced" on the contouring on my Mules, so I think it will be a good fit ! Brisa is a dealer is used many times but since they ask for a minimum of 30€ for each order I'm gonna buy 2 sheaths directly, if it has a good fit I might just add it as an option for people ordering a custom handle from me ^^ I would definitely use the Spyderco sheath but being in France it makes it pretty expensive once it gets here.
Reach out to a local leather guy in your area mate. I have had a few that can whip up a sheath for a knife in a few days for under $50. Custom to the knife.
Opens up another avenue to your custom work also. Knife scales and custom matching ferro rod.

I am learning leather and kydex but am happy to collaborate with someone until I’m better myself.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Cross-posting since this is the thread that got me thinking about a new sheath.

The JRE Industries Model E leather sheath fits snugly out of the box with the Halpern 3D contoured scales. It doesn't fit well with wider aftermarket scales like the Elijah Sonntag Designs 3D printed scales. Those are 17MM wide, barley wider than stock, but they have blockier corners. If this sheath loosens up in use, I'll give those another shot.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:37 am

Reach out to a local leather guy in your area mate. I have had a few that can whip up a sheath for a knife in a few days for under $50. Custom to the knife.
Opens up another avenue to your custom work also. Knife scales and custom matching ferro rod.

I am learning leather and kydex but am happy to collaborate with someone until I’m better myself.
I'm definitely gonna have one made for one of my Mules ! My area sadly has gotten scarce in makers over the past decades (well, almost century really) but there's still a few good leather workers, there must be ! Otherwise I can go towards the whole country and I'll sure find excellent makers there.

I'm receiving the Hiker100 sheaths tomorrow so I'll try with my last 2 burl handle mules to see how snug the fit is.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I've used sheaths from Collector Knives for one MT and one Waterway second that came with no sheath. I believe the medium is the one I used for the MT.
https://www.collectorknives.net/product ... cessories/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001