PM2 Conundrum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

PM2 Conundrum

Post by RugerNurse »

I’ve had my cruwear micarta pm2 for a few months now and it’s been great, action, lockup, etc. All of a sudden today opening it got more and more stiff to where I couldn’t flick it and it took a fair amount of effort to slow roll it open. Curious thing is that it still falls shut just fine and if I let it sit for awhile the action opening it seems less stiff. I haven’t taken it apart yet, do I need to or could it be an easier fix?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
USMC-88

Re: PM2 Conundrum

Post by USMC-88 »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:27 pm
I’ve had my cruwear micarta pm2 for a few months now and it’s been great, action, lockup, etc. All of a sudden today opening it got more and more stiff to where I couldn’t flick it and it took a fair amount of effort to slow roll it open. Curious thing is that it still falls shut just fine and if I let it sit for awhile the action opening it seems less stiff. I haven’t taken it apart yet, do I need to or could it be an easier fix?
Clean it and it will be great again!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

An oil of some sort and compressed air should do the trick.

I usually blow mine out with compressed air, wash mine in the sink or spray out with break clean, blow out with compressed air again and add in some kind of oil or automatic transmission fluid (one drop works wonders and the fluid is specifically designed to prevent rust).

Maybe one day I’ll try to test the difference of 5w-30, 0w-20 and ATF. And I ain’t even joking, I’ve put them all in my folding knives.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Drop of lube on each side of pivot, work it in before starting a panic thread
attila

Post by attila »

Start with a tiny spot of oil on the detent ball track.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Definitely give it a good cleaning.

My process is to work the action under running water, then add a drop of dish soap right into the action and pivot. Work that real good while rinsing, then thoroughly dry with compressed air. Then add a drop of your lube of choice. It should be smoother than the day you bought it if it’s already broken in.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

You should also check all the screws, one could have loosened enough to cause the issue, particularly the standoff screws closest to the pivot screws.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I usually start with a drop of oil on each side of the blade on the pivot and if that doesn't do it then I disassemble it, clean it, lube it and reassemble it. The action on PM2s are better than new afterwards. If the lower stand off screw is loose the blade will be way off center in my experience.
Last edited by Soulrack on Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I've found that some oils or most ? get gummy after a while . Clean it well with a good/safe cleaner , re lube and you should be good to go.
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

Out of all my PM2s the Cruwear micarta is by far the most finicky. The screws tend to back off which means you need to adjust. Like said above the screws behind pivot is key. Once you finally find the perfect balance of opening/closing and blade play then take one screw out at a time and use loctite. I went through the same drill and now my PM2 is very stable.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

RugerNurse wrote:
Blow some compressed air through it and put a few drops of knife lubricant, or some other oil, into the action. Work the action a bit to get the oil moving around everywhere. Should fix any unsmoothness (yeah that’s not a word lolz).
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

USMC-88 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:43 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
Clean it and it will be great again!
Make PM2s Great Again
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:44 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Blow some compressed air through it and put a few drops of knife lubricant, or some other oil, into the action. Work the action a bit to get the oil moving around everywhere. Should fix any unsmoothness (yeah that’s not a word lolz).
I’ll try that. I have an air compressor in the garage. It’s weird because I let it sit for a few days and the action was nice. Then as I used it today it got more tight
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

That is weird but if I recall correctly I’ve had that happen on a pm2 of mine before. It was after disassembly though, not sure if you took your knife apart or not.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045