How much longer is the addition going to take?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

How much longer is the addition going to take?

Post by Doc Dan »

How much longer is the addition to Spyderco going to take? Any word?

After that, how long to get everyone and everything moved and production up and running?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Re: How much longer is the addition going to take?

Post by Airlsee »

In my experience, construction doesn't work that way. We don't know what their finish-out, much less production schedule is...at the rate they are going, I would say at least 24 months, but that doesn't include machine or gear lead-times plus any unforseen delays, much less hiring and training new crew...

I'm only going off of seeing their 2021 progress in person, plus the updated pictures that we've received from forumites, and then realizing that the actual structure will be the quickest to be completed. The equipment setting and finish-out of a facility like that will be substantial, not to mention, programming, testing, tweaking, manning and training...

If they are planning on filling out the expansion in phases, then it could obviously start pumping some product quicker than that. In my opinion, being overly concerned about the expansion's production is an exercise in unnecessary anxiety.

I understand that I could be completely wrong, and would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't expect anything for at least a few years.
So it goes.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:07 am
If they are planning on filling out the expansion in phases, then it could obviously start pumping some product quicker than that.

You don’t need a full build internally to start production. It’ll take longer to get to full capacity.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The answer that Spyderco or Sal gives and add 8-12 months to that…. :winking-tongue

Usually how anything in construction works..
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I don't mind how long it takes. I'm just glad that the company is doing it, and is thriving enough to be expanding at all.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hear you on that, Jim. It is a good thing. I am just curious because there are a number of things we are waiting on that will happen when the new addition is completed. Who knows, maybe late summer?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I asked a while ago, but I can't remember what sal said, and I can't find it. I *think* he said Fall, but I could be remembering wrong, it could have changed, or it could go longer than planned.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It seems that construction could take a while. The tooling and labor will take longer.

I trust that they take their time and do it right. Fall is too soon I imagine. I think 2025 is more like it. Growing that much ain't easy.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Not to be repetitive, but I agree with Enactive...just having the walls up does not mean they are ready to start cranking out product, even in phases. Based off of the pictures we have seen, I would expect the expansion to start production no earlier than 18 months, and more likely 24-30 months from today. If they are able to crank out product in 12 months, that is an over-achievement to be commended.

Obviously, this is only my view, but thinking the expansion will be productive in 2-3 months is mind-boggling.
So it goes.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have worked for two companies that expanded it is not usually a quick transition. A floor plan is a must and how the new building will interact with the old building . Production is the heart of the building but there are other things to consider . Inventory , raw materials and possibly finished must have locations efficiently stored for optimal storage for production . Receiving and Shipping also come into play, will it stay in old building or be more efficient in the new building ? Quality Control also comes into play , are materials inspected when received ? I assume materials are inspected when there is a need when received to save time . This may require an area or space to process the stock . Just a few things to consider and keep in mind once space is available plans could also be fluid , what looks good on paper might not be as efficient as hoped and a new process may be developed .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I am guessing here but I would expect it to be operational before the end of this decade.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I was there in November last year and they had the main building structure up and roofed. This spring the structure connecting that structure with the existing Spyderco buildings was up. I would make a wild guess and say end of 24 beginning of 25.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Its threads like these that make me wonder how bored a guy is to start it. Im sure Spyderco hired a good Contractor to complete the job in a timely fashion.

The question is, after its done, what are you going to buy?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I wish @Sal or somebody would post pictures periodically so we can see the progress. I am excited for Spyderco about this and excited for what it will mean to all of us. I also would enjoy participating in the building progress.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:12 pm
Its threads like these that make me wonder how bored a guy is to start it. Im sure Spyderco hired a good Contractor to complete the job in a timely fashion.

The question is, after its done, what are you going to buy?
C'mon now. Bored to start it but then 🤷 not bored to comment on it? 🙄
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:38 pm
I wish @Sal or somebody would post pictures periodically so we can see the progress. I am excited for Spyderco about this and excited for what it will mean to all of us. I also would enjoy participating in the building progress.
Doc thanks for posting question . I think many of us are curious of the progress of the new building . I agree it would be nice to see progress of the building . Hopefully Sal or Eric might share in the future . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sorry double post
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:20 pm
how long to get everyone and everything moved and production up and running?

???
Is Spyderco moving everything to the new building, or will new equipment be installed incrementally to transition some processes and supplement the existing facility's capacity? I would expect the latter.

It's understandable that these questions remain unanswered, as Sal probably doesn't want to tip his hand to the Benchmade and Cold Steel moles who are lurking behind every corner. Maybe the new building is going to house courts for the company sponsored Youth Volleyball Teams.

The fact is, we know very little about what goes on behind the hallowed walls of the Spyderco enclave, and it's unlikely the secrets will ever be revealed. Personally, I'm most curious about what fancy machines are used to transform flat chunks ugly metal into sparkling masterpieces that we proudly carry in our pockets (or stack neatly in our safes).

Some companies actually offer tours for interested visitors. But it's obvious that the cost of such a program might not be economically feasible, or maybe knife factories are just too dangerous for general public.

Maybe Spyderco could take a page from the Willy Wonka Handbook. Every year they could place inside random knife boxes a Golden Ticket. Get it? Golden Ticket? GOLDEN! Anyway, the Golden Ticket would allow the lucky owner a tour of the factory, and the honor of carrying the Everlasting Gobstopper, a knife that never goes dull!

weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I believe that in this instance, no news is good news. If sal, Eric, or Co. jump in here and give any "rough estimates" as to a timeline, it will only get the "gears spinning" amongst those who will put a definitive benchmark of completion on the project "deadline", completely from the "outside looking in". This already happened with upcoming models for years and is why we now only get filled in from reveals (or those who see prototypes at shows). Any delays, or hangups will not be understood (nor tolerated) and Spyderco will be critiqued to death for some such or the other. It will be done when it is done. I agree with those who are asking, when it is done, what model(s) are you actually looking forward to purchasing when it/they become(s) available?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I now regret posting pics of the construction.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”