Spydie Hole Hurting My Finger

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Spydie Hole Hurting My Finger

Post by Scandi Grind »

Well the title says it. My thumb tip had started hurting a few days ago and I was wondering why, then yesterday I noticed that the soreness became very apparent as I opened my Endura one handed. I actually open it two handed most of the time, but the last week I had gotten more used to opening it one handed and started to go with that. The funny thing is I have heard people say that thumb studs have hurt their fingers, which I have never experienced, but cant recall anyone ever saying that their finger got sore from using a Spydie hole.

Has anyone else ever had an issue with their finger getting sore opening Seki back locks? I am wondering if I should try to break the edge of the hole a little to make it less sharp, but I didn't do that initially because I wanted to keep the edges grippy as possible.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Subverto

Re: Spydie Hole Hurting My Finger

Post by Subverto »

I open my PM2 probably 200+ times a day while I'm on conference calls and can't say my thumb has ever been sore. I have tried doing the same thing with thumb studs and it definitely starts to hurt after a while.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

My thumb never hurts from opening knives, but I probably don't open my knives enough for it to be a problem. I will say the smaller and/or more buried holes would become a problem quicker, if I opened my knives more often. I have some (e.g. Swayback, Techno 2) that I almost always open with both hands, just because it turns out to be faster. I don't mind, because I grew up well before Spydieholes and thumbstuds were a thing. Thumstuds and discs are definitely more uncomfortable to me than any Spydiehole.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:28 pm
Well the title says it. My thumb tip had started hurting a few days ago and I was wondering why, then yesterday I noticed that the soreness became very apparent as I opened my Endura one handed. I actually open it two handed most of the time, but the last week I had gotten more used to opening it one handed and started to go with that. The funny thing is I have heard people say that thumb studs have hurt their fingers, which I have never experienced, but cant recall anyone ever saying that their finger got sore from using a Spydie hole.

Has anyone else ever had an issue with their finger getting sore opening Seki back locks? I am wondering if I should try to break the edge of the hole a little to make it less sharp, but I didn't do that initially because I wanted to keep the edges grippy as possible.
I had a similar thing on my lil native until I realised there was a tiny sharp bit on the inside edge of the hole. Knocked it down with about three strokes of a roll of 2000 grit silicon carbide paper and it is fine now (and unmarked).

This is one of those occasions in life where ‘if the bone ain’t showing keep on going’ doesn’t apply - who wants a sore thumb 🤷🏼‍♂️

Have a great day,
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

As you age your skin thins and loses collagen. I find more finger tip pain as I age and, of course, I get more cuts and abrasions. I just deal with it, for now at least. :woozy
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:22 pm
Scandi Grind wrote:

I had a similar thing on my lil native until I realised there was a tiny sharp bit on the inside edge of the hole. Knocked it down with about three strokes of a roll of 2000 grit silicon carbide paper and it is fine now (and unmarked).

This is one of those occasions in life where ‘if the bone ain’t showing keep on going’ doesn’t apply - who wants a sore thumb 🤷🏼‍♂️

Have a great day,
Al
My thought as well. I know your example is the Lil Native but I’ve noticed the Seki-City lockbacks, like OP is referencing, seem to be repeat offenders of spydie holes needing a little knocking down. I prefer a few swipes with a sharpmaker rod and it’ll be set for business in no time!
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

No thumb stud or spydiehole has ever made my fingers hurt (except CRKs), but if it's sharp then 30 seconds with the white rods from the sharpmaker works well
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I prefer the "sharper Seki holes" for the grip that they offer me. It has been suggested throughout many threads to take some extra fine grit sandpaper to break any sharp edges. As cannot be overstated, it's easier to soften these sorts of issues, than to sharpen them, once in the hands of the ELU.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Axis locks make my fingers hurt. To each their own. I love the spyder-hole, most comfortable of all. Sorry that it hurts for you. Maybe try to file it down some? Or check some other models that you middle finger flick?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Scandi Grind wrote:
that the soreness became very apparent as I opened my Endura one handed. I actually open it two handed most of the time,

Not long after joining this forum, my finger began to hurt. There was this thing called a "Spydie Flick" that looks really cool on video, and it tends to piss off a lot of people. Looking cool and making people mad is just my thing. I had to learn to do it. Learning wasn't easy for me, and it took a lot of experimenting and repetition to get it right. My finger started getting really sore, but it never bled, so I persevered until I got it down. A couple days later, my finger was fine.

Scandi Grind wrote:
try to break the edge of the hole a little to make it less sharp,

Toughen up those hands. Shoveling dirt, brick laying, and gloveless fight training are great hobbies for giving you strong hands.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I cut myself pretty deep on a new N5 LW in S30V I got last month.
I noticed by feel that the hole was pretty grabby, but I then realized there is a big burr all along, big enough that it cut me pretty deep right in the middle of the thumb.

I took one of the brown rods of the sharpmaker and dealt with that. Diamond would've been faster but I was watching The Punisher Season 2 :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
James Y

Post by James Y »

If a Spyderhole is cutting your thumb, it must be a burr or something. I’ve had numerous Spyderco knives, Seki and Golden, since 1997, many/most with sharp Spyderholes; even one that had a burr on the edge of the hole, but have never even felt close to cutting my thumb or finger. I’ve never hurt my thumb with a thumb stud, either. I prefer sharp Spyderholes.

Not saying it hasn’t happened to other people, though. Everybody’s different. Maybe some people have thinner, or softer, or more sensitive skin on their hands/fingers. Periodically, someone will post a thread about their Spyderhole being so sharp it cuts their thumb.

If you decide to break that edge, I would highly recommend only removing the bare minimum amount of material. Very lightly, using a corner of a Sharpmaker white rod. If you smooth it even a little too much, it might make it harder to open using the Spyderhole. Then it cannot be fixed back to restore the crispness.

Jim
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I would guess that when your opening the knife with your thumb, the skin is pulling away from the fingernail. That will be sore untill your finger is used to it. Kind of like you cut your fingernail to short and it hurts for a few days.

Has happened to me at least
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Scandi Grind wrote:

I had that exact thing happen with an Endura. I got a stone from my Sharpmaker and went around the hole a bit on both sides and solved the problem.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I seem to be sensitive to uneven sharpness on Spydie holes and gimping. Every once in a while, I’ll notice a difference, side to side, on a new knife. The remedy is to take the sharper side down a bit with a ceramic rod, taking care not to over-do it.

I also take a Tri-Angle rod to the edges of the full liners on my Spyderco knives that have them: not too much, just a bit to knock the edge down so it doesn’t press into the palm in an uncomfortable way.

The main thing is to not take it too far.

It really only takes a pass or two.

This is more of an OCD thing: I’ve never had a Spydie hole or liner cut me.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Breaking in the Ikuchi made my fingers a little chafed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Some wet/dry sandpaper and a marble or ball bearing will do a nice, clean job of breaking the edge lightly. Go slow and take off only what you need.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

The Seki holes are notoriously sharp. I had one with a burr and poor finish on the hole that notched my thumbnail substantially. I knocked it down with a sharpmaker UF rod but ended up not liking that feel either, so I took a dremel and re-ground the hole back to sharp. Now it feels more or less right - a little sharper than a Golden hole (which is noticeably different) but not cutting or nail-notching sharp after flicking a hundred times in a day

All my PM2/3 holes are perfectly sharp while still being soft enough not to cut or nail-notch. Seki knives seem more hit or miss on the hole sharpness and should be modified as needed
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

:face monocle