Chinese Budget Folders In M4: What Does The Future Hold?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

Chinese Budget Folders In M4: What Does The Future Hold?

Post by Toucan »

With the upcoming Tenacious, M4 joins S35VN as a fancy option for Spyderco's Chinese budget knives.That is, if you consider $133 a "budget" option. I think, with all things considered, it is. Admittedly, the $85 M4 Delica deal a month or two ago does take the wind out of my sails a bit.

But, I digress. This is very good news! A long time ago, it seemed the consensus about carbon steel Spydies out of China was that chances were exceedingly slim. Yet, the dream has been realized!

I hope this variant does well and we see more variety out of Spyderco's Chinese factories. I think it was Vivi that mentioned the Resilience as a good candidate to M4-ify, and I think that makes a lot of sense. Personally, the only Chinese folder I'm into right now is the Astute, so that'd be my pick.

How about everyone else? What would be your desired Chinese M4 model?

Also, if anyone behind the scenes could chime in about the project. I think I've heard it's a bit of a process to get new steels with particular heat treatments out of the factory that makes the Tenacious family. Is this a sign of the factory becoming more open to different steels? Is the M4 Tenacious a trial for other models or steels? It seems the steels that get picked for the factory are well established. I can't really think of any other super steels used for a decade+ that also well serve a broad swath of users. The M4-S35VN combo makes a lot of sense in covering all the bases. In the distant future I hope comparable Chinese steels will take the place of imported US steel to keep costs down.

Lastly, budget knives are by nature, mass-market. It is a wonderful and unlikely triumph that a niche steel has been made a little more accessible for the average user. Even if you feel M4 is yesterday's news, consider it in the Tenacious for what it is and what it could be for the future.
yowzer

Re: Chinese Budget Folders In M4: What Does The Future Hold?

Post by yowzer »

I'd be down for an Astute in any steel that's an upgrade from 8Cr13.

A Polestar or Alcyone in a premium steel would be nice too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Definitely a Resilience. M4 is one of my favorite steels and that's one of my favorite folder designs.

Something along the lines of a drop point bow river in M4 could be pretty cool too.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I may be most excited about this Tenacious in the reveal. I love my Polestar. It really opened my eyes to the ease of the linerlock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'm with both you and Vivi, as well as Sal/Eric. I'd most like the Resilience, then the Tenacious, then the Astute.

I have the S35VN Resilience, and honestly it's one of my favorite Spydies (admittedly it's a long list of favorites). I threaten to buy the S35VN Tenacious about once a month, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The Astute is a marvel of astute design, but a bit too small for me. Still, in M4...
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

This is a great topic, by the way. It would be cool if M4 joins S35VN as an upscale budget option.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Is the M4 made in China? Or is the M4 exported to China?

Just idle curiosity, since I don't intend to buy a Chinese Spyderco.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely interested in a Resilience in M4, might even go for the combo edge since they can't do the Resilience in full SE. I think this is the first time M4 has been offered in SE at all isn't it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:08 pm

I would assume it is Crucible's CPM M4 and it would be imported to China. Similar to what they do with Carpenter's BD1N and Crucible's S35V.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The US fought the Chinese Communist Party in Korea and Vietnam and it looks like we are about to fight them in Taiwan. I let China decide for me whether or not I buy Chinese goods. So far it's a hard no. I don't want my nephew and niece dragged into WW III.

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonCHN

https://twitter.com/MFA_China
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bow Rivers would be far and away the best candidates in my opinion!
I love the one I have, but I couldn’t pass up an M4 or even S35VN Bow River.

I do also like the Resilience suggestion!

What about an M4 UpTern?
I think it would be cool with the brown G10. Maybe add some textured areas or an inlay to the stainless steel. There could be an all black, stainless steel, and M4 UpTern.
This design has a lot of potential, even though it is new.

I want a serrated rescue Value Folder that uses the blade from the discontinued Spyderco Rescue CLIPITOOL. That blade has the best slicing geometry in a large serrated knife.
I like it so much I removed the tools on mine to essentially accomplish what I want, but it would be better to have something like that “out of the box”.
I want it as a basic Value Folder, so I’m fine with BD1N or 8Cr13MoV, but M4 or S35VN would obviously be even better.

Even if they aren’t always in the spotlight, the Value line is a solid bunch of designs. To me, it would seem like M4 variants of a lot of them have the potential to grab many people’s attention, including mine.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:10 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:08 pm

I would assume it is Crucible's CPM M4 and it would be imported to China. Similar to what they do with Carpenter's BD1N and Crucible's S35V.

I see. I asked because I read on BF that some D2 steel is now made in China (sometimes called Cr12Mo1V1​).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Gotta agree with everyone that said M4 Bow River. The model had slipped my mind, but that would be a sweeeet knife. Total value champ, and a real sleeper.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me the good news here is above all that more upgraded (steelwise) Spyderco linerlock options will be available.

No interest at all in starting another discussion about locktypes, very subjective topic and all have their pros and cons.
But I personally would choose a good linerlock over a comp.lock any day of the week, and getting choices for doing so is very nice (I am comparing these two locktypes here, cause I think they allow for very similar overall designs and shapes (for example very tall blades without finger choil) - not so backlock or CBBL)

My S35VN Tenacious LW happens to be flawless and feels like real quality.
It's also a Spydie with an exceptional edge to closed length ratio, another bonus for me.

I am just disappointed again, that the M4 Tenacious does not come in full SE (just in PE and CE), just like the S35VN variant.
Why is this?! They do have the grinding wheels for full SE, as the 8CR version shows.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:29 pm
I see. I asked because I read on BF that some D2 steel is now made in China (sometimes called Cr12Mo1V1​).
I could be wrong, but I thought the D2 marketed as D2, but was actually something different was a little bit of shady business with some lesser known brands (same situation with some titanium scales not being titanium). I assumed being Spyderco they would actually import it.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Having these steels on Chinese models is cool because that means there is more variety of steels in liner lock models, and I am a liner lock fan, but I don't know if I would ever really want to get a Chinese made knife, even from Spyderco. I would usually rather spend more on locally made products and have less knives than I would buy Chinese. I really wish Spyderco had a good mid-sized liner lock folder coming from Golden at this point, but I imagine it probably wouldn't sell as well as anything made with a comp lock, so I doubt this is something that will happen.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
sal

Post by sal »

If we use a Chinese "version" of another steel, we would call it by it's Chinese designation.

sal
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

sal wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm
If we use a Chinese "version" of another steel, we would call it by it's Chinese designation.

sal
Sal can you address what the HRC range on the steel is? From what I've seen your 8Cr is about as good as it gets from China so I expect that your OEM will hit what you're asking them to do, I'm certain that I am not the only one who's wondering this. This reveal is super exciting can't wait for so many of these models to drop!

Thanks!
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

sal wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm

sal
I'd be very excited if GCr15 (the Chinese equivalent of 52100, as far as I can tell) could make its way into the Spyderco lineup. Especially with AEB-L gettin' a new lease on life with the new BBB heat treatment available; I've been curious if it would translate to its less chromium enriched sister steels
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm pretty stoked on this. I'll probably pick one up and put some micarta scales on it. I've really come to love the Tenacious over the last month or so, I think it's really hard to beat as an EDC knife. Plenty of cutting edge, and man does it make quick work of cardboard boxes.

I wonder if we'll get a DLC model?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.