thoughts and observations on a yojimbo with 5x5 pickpocket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

thoughts and observations on a yojimbo with 5x5 pickpocket

Post by ladybug93 »

let me first start by saying the stock yojimbo is already a great knife, especially for it's intended purpose, but also for regular edc use. we're all familiar with the benefits of a straight edge utility knife, and many of us could probably handle most of our daily cutting tasks with a simple utility blade that costs under $10, but what's the fun in that? much to our benefit, mike janich leveraged those benefits into his design and did so very well. the thick blade and deep hollow grind work well to make for a robust design that still manages to separate material with relative ease. if you spend more time slicing things that will break from a thick blade, maybe something like a delica wharncliffe would be better for you, but the yojimbo is no slouch at cutting and is, of course, designed for more than seeing how thinly you can slice your apple or cheese.

if you haven't seen this video, this is what sold me on the yojimbo in the first place. it's always nice to hear the designer's intent and passion behind what they do.

alright... the point...

i recently added a 5x5 pickpocket to my yojimbo. the obvious benefit for this is for faster deployment of the knife for self-defense scenarios. in my testing, i've found the pickpocket to be highly reliable at achieving a full deployment when drawing. 5x5 have developed a very nice product that fits the knife with precision and successfully accomplishes it's aim.

to my surprise, i have found other benefits to this addition as well.

first is thumb placement. i was initially concerned that the pickpocket would negatively affect the feel of the knife. after all, mj designed the knife specifically with the thumb placement along the spine in mind. however, putting my thumb on the pickpocket actually lowers the blade angle slightly, which i happen to like, and pushes the back of the handle into my palm better. i'm not sure what effect this has on self-defense applications, but it feels more comfortable and familiar to me (more on that in a minute) and seems like it would provide more blade clearance in sweeping cuts because the thumb is less in the way.

second is the familiarity that i mentioned. the pickpocket rising above the spine very closely mimics the angle of the manix thumb ramp. many of you know that the manix is my favorite knife design of all time, so this difference is something i noticed and appreciated immediately. they are by no means the same, but they are close enough to provide similar grips that were previously not available with the yojimbo. specifically, the pickpocket allows me to more comfortably choke up on the yojimbo by acting as a ramp that feels more secure and makes me worry a little less about sliding forward onto the blade in use. i shouldn't have to say this, but these grips are for lighter detail edc work and not for self-defense.

i was a little concerned that the yojimbo would be too wide in the pocket with the new addition, since it's already a wide knife as it is, but the difference seems negligible. here is the manix and the yojimbo with the clips lined up as best as i can to show the difference between the two in pocket. as you can see, the yojimbo is already wider than the manix in places unaffected by the pickpocket, and the pickpocket really doesn't make it any worse.

another concern might be that the pickpocket would get in the way of normal deployment. it doesn't. i can still access the opening hole in all positions and flick the knife open. i can also flick it by the pickpocket with my thumb or middle finger, but i'll stick with the spydie hole.

i also added a dnt3 copper backspacer to the yojimbo a few years ago, but since i'm doing a write-up and it's in the photos, i may as well mention it here as well. in my mind, this makes the back end of the knife a more formidable striking surface, but also adds for the utility of a glass breaker in an emergency. granted, it's not a hardened carbide tip, but i think it would do the job. still, if a metal tip seems overly aggressive to you, there is a guy on ig (shepardcc) that makes a similar piece out of g10 or cf. it looks cool, but also gives some extra protrusion and pressure point penetration if you have wider hands.

i'm definitely happy with this addition to my yojimbo. it adds a serious tactical advantage to an already great self-defense knife, but it also adds some serious tactile benefits for me in edc use. if you like the manix and the yojimbo, a 5x5 pickpocket may make you like the yojimbo even more. i know it has for me. but, even if you don't like the manix, you should give it a try. it's definitely worth it.

one last shot for the keyboard warriors.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Re: thoughts and observations on a yojimbo with 5x5 pickpocket

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great review LB . I am not a Wave fan but the 5X5 interested me after your recent posts . I wanted one for my sprint Jumbo but they say may not be compatible . I like how the device can be removed and your pics show it not be be overly large in pocket . Thank you ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Nice review! I don't know if the wave is for me but I have used the 5x5 pickpocket on someone else's Endura and it worked well with that.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Dang… I was just looking to upgrade my purple Cruwear Yojimbo to some AWT scales. I think you just sold me on this one haha.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with these pick pocket attachments and shorts/swim trunks? I mainly wear trunks or lightweight shorts at work.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Dang… I was just looking to upgrade my purple Cruwear Yojimbo to some AWT scales. I think you just sold me on this one haha.

Edit: Does anyone have experience with these pick pocket attachments and shorts/swim trunks? I mainly wear trunks or lightweight shorts at work.
i was carrying it in shorts around the house all morning and it works fine.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mmadison

Post by mmadison »

I carry this same setup, not for self-defense, but because of the functionality of the 5x5 attachment allowing for one-handed deployment while I am holding something up in the air with my off hand, and the Yojimbo tip's ability to cut adhesive films like a razor knife.

It works great, but requires a specific grip to avoid the tip scraping (cutting) a finger when deploying. I used to carry a waved Endela, and when I switched, I cut my finger a couple of times. With some practice, this issue was resolved within a day.

I would love it if 5x5 made a backspacer with a flat-head driver / small prying tool.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Can we get a link to your mods please. I am definitely interested in doing these mods to my cruwear yojimbo. Thanks in advance. Love that copper backspacer!!....
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Someone decided to give me his 5x5 Emerson for the Yo 2. I'm not into all that but I helped him a few times and he wanted to give me something.

I'm sure I'll have fun playing with it ! It's funny such a thread is created roughly at the same time :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:35 am
Can we get a link to your mods please. I am definitely interested in doing these mods to my cruwear yojimbo. Thanks in advance. Love that copper backspacer!!....
https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... o-ccessory

https://instagram.com/dnt3_custom_works ... IwNjQ2YQ==
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ladybug93:

Thank you for the great review on the 5x5 Pickpocket for the Yo 2. 5x5 does exceptional work on all their products and I'm glad you're pleased with your choice.

As for the grippiness of the Yo 2, I personally prefer the coarse-textured G-10 of the YoJumbo on my knives, but that wasn't an option when I designed the Yo 2. Casual users don't like the coarse texture because it's tough on pockets. If you're concerned about grip security, go back to my video and watch the section on the reasoning behind the tapered handle shape. Grip security is always more a matter of technique than handle style.

Stay safe,

Mike
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 am

As for the grippiness of the Yo 2, I personally prefer the coarse-textured G-10 of the YoJumbo on my knives, but that wasn't an option when I designed the Yo 2. Casual users don't like the coarse texture because it's tough on pockets. If you're concerned about grip security, go back to my video and watch the section on the reasoning behind the tapered handle shape. Grip security is always more a matter of technique than handle style.

Stay safe,

Mike
Even on my smooth G10 Yo2 it is locked in and secure in hand once open (and features an optional ranged deployment mode if absent mindedly spydie-flicked a little vigorously). It’s a wonderful knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 am
Dear ladybug93:

Thank you for the great review on the 5x5 Pickpocket for the Yo 2. 5x5 does exceptional work on all their products and I'm glad you're pleased with your choice.

Stay safe,

Mike
i have no problems with the grip on the yojimbo at all. standard g10 texture on spyderco knives is more than adequate for my applications. if my write-up came across as saying it wasn't sufficient, i apologize. what i was trying to say is that the pickpocket allows me to hold the knife in positions that i couldn't really before because of the way it adds to the knife. the example i gave specifically was choking up on the knife because i can rest the web of my hand on the top of the ramp created by the pickpocket instead of there being a valley where the thumb is meant to rest on the original yo2 design and in the filipino grip. that's not a knock on the design at all... the standard yo2 design is great as it is and i always liked it. the pickpocket just adds a little bit of extra utility and comfort in my use.
current collection:
spyderco steels: