Buy a new BENSHOT® SHOT GLASS WITH LADYBUG™ 3 BLADE when you buy your Mule tomorrow!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Buy a new BENSHOT® SHOT GLASS WITH LADYBUG™ 3 BLADE when you buy your Mule tomorrow!

Post by Candyman »

Hey guys, the new BENSHOT® SHOT GLASS WITH LADYBUG™ 3 BLADE just came out so if you are planning on buying a Mule tomorrow when they drop this would be the perfect time to get one to combine shipping cost.
This is my plan so I figured I’d pass it along.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Blade/2348
Think for yourself
Buddafucco

Re: Buy a new BENSHOT® SHOT GLASS WITH LADYBUG™ 3 BLADE when you buy your Mule tomorrow!

Post by Buddafucco »

I went with two. Shots are better with a friend. :beaming-face
•• Beau
ladybug93

Re: Buy a new BENSHOT® SHOT GLASS WITH LADYBUG™ 3 BLADE when you buy your Mule tomorrow!

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't drink, but i need to grab one of these before they're gone.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Why did I not see that wonderful thread earlier ? I wanted to but a benshot shot glass for many drops (when the native was available), and always forgot.
I feel stupid now haha.

I'll find a way next drop ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
phaust

Post by phaust »

Did they address the yellowing issue on this one, anyone know?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

phaust wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:36 am
Did they address the yellowing issue on this one, anyone know?
There's a yellowing issue with these? I know my native one seems fine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really don't understand why they make LC200N blades but haven't made the knives yet. Makes me wonder if they tried to make the knives but had a major issue with heat treat or something and are trying to make the most out of what was manufactured.

🤷🏼‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm holding out for a Benshot glass with a Police 4 blade sticking out! :zany
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:52 am
I'm holding out for a Benshot glass with a Police 4 blade sticking out! :zany

If vessel size stays proportional to the blade that's gonna be a heck of a shot 🤣
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am
Really don't understand why they make LC200N blades but haven't made the knives yet. Makes me wonder if they tried to make the knives but had a major issue with heat treat or something and are trying to make the most out of what was manufactured.

🤷🏼‍♂️
These Benshot glasses are not just happy accidents, there has been multiple runs now. They’re just a cool and unique novelty products that need the corrosion resistance LC200N offers.

:respect :bug-white-red
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:05 pm
Evil D wrote:

🤷🏼‍♂️
These Benshot glasses are not just happy accidents, there has been multiple runs now. They’re just a cool and unique novelty products that need the corrosion resistance LC200N offers.

Yeah I get that, I just don't see why they wouldn't also offer knives with these blades, which they don't. They could just as easily make them with the same blades in H1 which are already made, but they don't sell LC200N Dragonfly/Ladybug. I guess it's not weird to make FFG blades for a shot glass and never plan to make the knives that match.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yeah. it would be great to see a lil native salt or a lc200n ladybug.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I got two! If anyone wants to take a shot of bourbon in front of the spyderco booth at Blade I’ll supply. :winking-tongue
Think for yourself
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I picked 2 up as well, but I’d use a pint glass a lot more than either the rocks or shot glass. A pint glass with a Millie sticking out of it would be great!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:14 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Evil D wrote:

🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah I get that, I just don't see why they wouldn't also offer knives with these blades, which they don't. They could just as easily make them with the same blades in H1 which are already made, but they don't sell LC200N Dragonfly/Ladybug. I guess it's not weird to make FFG blades for a shot glass and never plan to make the knives that match.
I understand, I was hoping the LC200N Lil Native Rocks Glass meant there was a Salt model not far behind but it hasn’t happened yet. Now I like to be optimistic that the Salt model Lil Native wont be far behind the Lil Native LightWeight’s debut but thats mostly wishful thinking.

Wouldn’t they still need to make a batch of H1 blades specifically for the shot glasses too? (Or I guess, technically, H2 now) If they’re making a specific batch of blades either way, I have difficulty understanding why steel would matter in that case. (Aside from corrosion resistance)

I would also question if FFG may have been a characteristic required to keep the blades properly seated in the glasses themselves. Maybe the saber grind lead to loose blades and they needed FFG to assure the blades stayed secure. Maybe the saber grind trapped water or maybe it needed too much adhesive and looked bad because of that. FFG could have been more of a manufacturing requirement than it was a choice.

It could also just be as simple as continuity. The Lil Native Rocks Glass is LC200N, so now the Ladybug Shot Glass is as well.

I believe you’re correct though, its not weird at all, it’s just a fun novelty. We don’t know if they ever plan to make the knives that match the glasses either, thats just conjecture. For all we know, they could be featured in the next reveal catalog.

Also, the blades are near fully functional. They’re properly heat treated and everything, they just need an edge added. It is possible to sacrifice the glass, remove the blade, and create a completely functional FFG LC200N Ladybug. (OP, Candyman, and others have done it with a Lil Native Rocks glass. :respect :bug-white-red )
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:50 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:14 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Evil D wrote:

🤷🏼‍♂️

I understand, I was hoping the LC200N Lil Native Rocks Glass meant there was a Salt model not far behind but it hasn’t happened yet. Now I like to be optimistic that the Salt model Lil Native wont be far behind the Lil Native LightWeight’s debut but thats mostly wishful thinking.

Wouldn’t they still need to make a batch of H1 blades specifically for the shot glasses too? (Or I guess, technically, H2 now) If they’re making a specific batch of blades either way, I have difficulty understanding why steel would matter in that case. (Aside from corrosion resistance)

I would also question if FFG may have been a characteristic required to keep the blades properly seated in the glasses themselves. Maybe the saber grind lead to loose blades and they needed FFG to assure the blades stayed secure. Maybe the saber grind trapped water or maybe it needed too much adhesive and looked bad because of that. FFG could have been more of a manufacturing requirement than it was a choice.

It could also just be as simple as continuity. The Lil Native Rocks Glass is LC200N, so now the Ladybug Shot Glass is as well.

I believe you’re correct though, its not weird at all, it’s just a fun novelty. We don’t know if they ever plan to make the knives that match the glasses either, thats just conjecture. For all we know, they could be featured in the next reveal catalog.

Also, the blades are near fully functional. They’re properly heat treated and everything, they just need an edge added. It is possible to sacrifice the glass, remove the blade, and create a completely functional FFG LC200N Ladybug. (OP, Candyman, and others have done it with a Lil Native Rocks glass. :respect :bug-white-red )

No man, I was being sarcastic. It's weird AF that they make a specific blade for a shot glass but do not make the knife that uses that blade. They also stick bullets and all sorts and random things into these glasses, the blade grind has nothing to do with it and there's no reason they couldn't use the H1 blades. If anything the H1 blades would have been a better choice since H1 is more corrosion resistant.

For some reason they had to specifically make FFG LC200N blades for this to work, but the company had no problem sticking a Lego brick in there?

~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

blueblur wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm
I picked 2 up as well, but I’d use a pint glass a lot more than either the rocks or shot glass. A pint glass with a Millie sticking out of it would be great!
Agreed, but this cool Spydie shot glass offering got me to check out the other Benshot offerings - ordered my brother a golf ball pint glass and a hockey puck rocks glass. He lives next to a golf course and has had many balls bounced off his home! He also almost got hit by a hockey puck at a game around 30 years ago, so this was all ideal.

My two shot glasses arrived today - these are really cool!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:17 pm

No man, I was being sarcastic. It's weird AF that they make a specific blade for a shot glass but do not make the knife that uses that blade. They also stick bullets and all sorts and random things into these glasses, the blade grind has nothing to do with it and there's no reason they couldn't use the H1 blades. If anything the H1 blades would have been a better choice since H1 is more corrosion resistant.

For some reason they had to specifically make FFG LC200N blades for this to work, but the company had no problem sticking a Lego brick in there?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1171/ ... 1665113146
Oh, tell me about it… All of us Lil Native fans have been taunted by an LC200N rocks glass going on three years now. :yawn

If you must insist it is really that weird though, that’s fine. I just think the opposite, it’s not weird at all. For what it’s worth, they do make the knife that uses that blade. They make Ladybugs, they make FFG Ladybugs, and they make Salt Ladybugs - The only difference with the Benshot Shot Glass, is steel choice. (And again, for all we know there very well could be an LC200N Ladybug Salt in the next reveal.)

I’m honestly a little baffled that anyone could find a reason to complain about the steel choice for a cool novelty product such as this. :spiral-eyes
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

no one is complaining about the steel in the glass. i only see hopes that it becomes a production knife as well.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:39 pm
no one is complaining about the steel in the glass. i only see hopes that it becomes a production knife as well.
“If anything the H1 blades would have been a better choice since H1 is more corrosion resistant.”

Ok. :neutral