Will there ever be a Bushcrafty Pattern Mule ?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
old4570

Will there ever be a Bushcrafty Pattern Mule ?

Post by old4570 »

Dont get me wrong , I like my Mule ..

But !
A) The shape makes it hard to index the Mule in the hand for various tasks ( Curved grip )
B) The grip is a little cramped for my hand ( I had to stretch my Mule )
C) The Mule is not super comfortable for extended use ..

So the question begs .. Might there be a more traditional looking Mule in the future .
One that indexes better , feels better for extended cutting , something a little more BushCrafty maybe .
Just wondering .. ?
TomAiello

Re: Will there ever be a Bushcrafty Pattern Mule ?

Post by TomAiello »

The Mule is pretty adaptable. You could definitely do some alterations yourself to make it more 'bushcrafty'. And that would definitely be in keeping with the spirit of the mule project.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco actually used to do exactly that with their “Bushcraft” model.

They sold it as the “Bushcraft Blank” (FB26SPEC) - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Blank/471
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Old4570,

Welcome to our forum.

We probably won't change the Mule much in the future. As mentioned, you can adjust the handle to suit your needs. By maintaining a consistent shape, it is more easily compared with other Mules.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

old4570 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:05 pm

B) The grip is a little cramped for my hand ( I had to stretch my Mule )

Not that, please. I often cut or grind bits of my mule handles off, since the handle is extra real estate for me. (I wear L to XL gloves.) Much prefer to leave it as is, rather than to develop a mega-handled version with handlelephantitis. Adding more handle is easily done with larger scales, if you need it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Basically the mule is the mule…

Nearly 40 steels and still the same shape size and dimensions. (Roughly)

Spyderco needs a good bushcraft knife but your better off starting a thread in the open forum for a bushcraft fixed blade then hoping the mule will change
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
old4570

Post by old4570 »

I don't want the Mule to change ,,
But if there was another Mule .. Something a little more generic .. ( 2nd Type of Mule or maybe don't call it a Mule )
Or bring back the bushcraft blade ?
I don't want to change the Mule , just maybe add to it . ( Another Mule - Mule 2.0 )
From a marketing perspective , the more you sell , the better ?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

A mule by concept is a point of reference, making "another mule" would denature the principle of a Mule IMHO.
Seems like a Bushcraft fixed blade that could be available in different steels is something everyone would like.

The Enuff line seems almost perfect, maybe Enuff Wood ? :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I haven't recovered from the controversy around the change in blade shape on the SPY27 run... can't imagine introducing such a different blade shape to the Mule line and the ensuing trauma it would cause :scream
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think the OP is suggesting a bushcrafty line of Spyderco blanks, rather than a modification to "the mule." And I further suspect that Spyderco has no interest in making any other blanks, other than for the purposes of testing, via the already established mule. I think Spyderco would be much more likely to simply produce complete models of bushcrafty knives, than blanks.

If that's true, and if the OP wants to make his own, then I'd recommend he look at some of the knife component suppliers...there are bushcrafty blanks out there, some of good steel...they're just not Spyderco made.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bemo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:19 pm
I haven't recovered from the controversy around the change in blade shape on the SPY27 run... can't imagine introducing such a different blade shape to the Mule line and the ensuing trauma it would cause :scream
It should be as simple as not naming it “Mule Team.” :thinking

They’ve done it in the past with the FB26 Bushcraft Blank and FB27 Woodcraft.

• Mule Team
• FB26SPEC Bushcraft Blank
• FB27 Woodcraft
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50628075@ ... otostream/

The Spyderco FB27 Woodcraft was an exclusive for Woodcraft.com. Apparently, Woodcraft called the knife a Mule Team in error, as it was not actually part of the Mule Team. The knife was also not S90V as they stated, but rather S30V.
Photo source - viewtopic.php?p=879305#p879305

Given the current popularity that the Native series and Mule Team both enjoy, I’d venture to guess a new run of a knife like the FB27 Woodcraft would see similar fanfare because it is basically Native 5 fixed blade blank. The handle looks nearly indentical.

:respect :bug-white-red
-Nick :bug-red
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Well, I would be in for one of each of those blanks please and thank you.

I would also like the parallel universe where there are 2 new Golden production facilities running full tilt sending us the platforms of our dreams.

And, here we are on a forum where a user can garner enough interest, fill enough pages keeping the thread alive, and eventually, see a given knife get another run. Spyderco and the forum are amazing.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)