product idea: Spyderco folding wood saw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wvguy8258

product idea: Spyderco folding wood saw

Post by wvguy8258 »

I know the regular spyderco serration can cut wood, but they don't do it as quite or as well as actual wood saw teeth (I've tried). A lot of hunters love high end products and use saws (trimming branches and cutting deer bones, etc) and want quality, light folding saws.

A Spyderco Endura or Police with a full wood/bone saw blade would sell. I've never seen a saw from a higher end maker (just Gerber, etc).

Just an idea maybe someone will pick up on.
yablanowitz

Re: product idea: Spyderco folding wood saw

Post by yablanowitz »

T02 Spydersaw. There have been a few calls for its return over the years, but it has not yet materialized.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really like the saws victorinox makes. it would be cool to see a collab with a spyderco blade in a victorinox rangergrip model with a saw though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Silky

https://silkysaws.com/folding-saws/

Silky makes what are possibly the best saws you can get. I don't know why Spyderco would need to get into that market.
-AHAB
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I started a poll once about a return of the Spydersaw, see here

viewtopic.php?t=87504

I personally would like to see it in a dyad / double bladed folder (also an option in the poll)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Vamais wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:23 pm
Silky

Silky makes what are possibly the best saws you can get. I don't know why Spyderco would need to get into that market.
Agreed 100%.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vamais wrote:
Silky

I agree that there is probably not enough market for the original Spydersaw (see here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/T02/51), but as a concept it actually would have its place as a superlight and superslim niche product - it offers almost the same bladelength as the smallest silky, but for just half the weight and a lot less bulk.

For the weight and pack size of the smallest Silky (Pocket boy) one could bring a Spydersaw AND a Pac Salt for example.
Nice for an emergency kit or if one just wants to clip a saw (and a knife)n to the pocket for small, occasional bushcraft tasks.

For details on this see my post here: viewtopic.php?t=87504#p1449325

/ Also, Spyderco could make a Dyad/double bladed folder with a saw and a knife blade.
Again, not for regular use, but could be a good superslim emergency tool
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:53 pm
Vamais wrote:
Silky

I agree that there is probably not enough market for the original Spydersaw (see here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/T02/51), but as a concept it actually would have its place as a superlight and superslim niche product - it offers almost the same bladelength as the smallest silky, but for just half the weight and a lot less bulk.

For the weight and pack size of the smallest Silky (Pocket boy) one could bring a Spydersaw AND a Pac Salt for example.
Nice for an emergency kit or if one just wants to clip a saw (and a knife)n to the pocket for small, occasional bushcraft tasks.

/ Also, Spyderco could make a Dyad/double bladed folder with a saw and a knife blade.
This makes a lot of sense to me.
I have a cheap pocket saw similar to the Silky, but if I were buy another small folding saw, I would want something slimmer and higher quality.
The Spydersaw seems like a pretty good tool. There are some situations where, to me, it would have advantages over other tools just because of the inherent Spyderco features in the lock, deployment/operation, and carry.
Maybe it could use a little redesign and updating, but I would buy one. Might even look for one of the originals now.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a Spydersaw in a heartbeat, for the above-mentioned reason of cutting power to size/weight ratio. I did have a real need for one at my last job but these days it would be more for yard work. I'd probably put one in my EDC bag.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I bought a Silky saw. Why fight it when the best is already available?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I chime in with this every time I see it raised. I have both the Spydersaw and the smaller Silky (as well as many others) with the similar blade length (several, actually). It's not even a close comparison. Everything about a Silky saw is better, and I'm a diehard Spyderco fanboy. I wonder if any of the people who think the Spydersaw is somehow comparable to a Silky have ever used either of them. I can pack the smaller Silky saw and a replacement blade with different teeth or even the recurved blade and all for still a relatively light weight, and the Silky is now not only outperforming the Spydersaw with a similar tooth pattern, but it has far more capability than the Spydersaw will ever have. The Spydersaw is good for cutting green limbs, and that is about it. There's no way I'd try to saw through bone with one. Also, if you're looking for additional functionality with lighter weight, like pairing a Pac Salt and Spydersaw together for ~6oz (both 3oz each), you can carry a Victorinox Hiker which has more functionality and it weighs less than either of them at ~2.7oz.
--Jeremy
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I have a leatherman with a modest wood saw on it, but compared to any of the several Silky’s I have and use almost daily at work it is almost a comedy gimmick. I can’t imagine a situation where I would trade the cutting efficiency of a Silky (or an ARS - a fantastic arbor/bone saw if you happen to have a stockist near you) for something smaller and lighter but that much less capable. Opinel do a folding saw but it’s basically an overpriced and underperforming Silky wannabe.

I would LOVE a Silky-Spyderco collab though! That would be a delight. I’m imagining a slim FRN handle with a proper Silky curved arbor blade and a Spydie-hole. Oh man, that would be fantastic!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Why would Spyderco make a saw when you can just buy a Silky? Why would Spyderco make a knife when you can just buy a Buck 110? They need to stick to knife sharpeners...

Seriously though, I'd bet even money that Spyderco COULD develop a saw that's as good as what's currently on the market. But it would probably take some time, money and resources that would be better spent elsewhere.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

We’re nearing two decades since they've made a saw. It just doesnt seem like a market they're interested in being in.
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I own the Spydersaw, but use it seldom, since I've no idea how to resharpen it. The following by Mr. Wartstein is worth quoting from another thread, and answers the question: "Why buy anything but a Silky?"

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 am
standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 am
2) good old wire bush saw is a lot lighter for the once in a blue moon I need one hiking ( And under $10 ) and while camping I would usually have a axe.
VooDooChild wrote: ....
But there are some really good points being raised. Would I be able to replace the blade in a few years? Would it be better than a Silky Saw given their price range and options?
vivi wrote: ...
I don't find the 2-4" folding saws common on multitools to be very useful.
JD Spydo wrote: With companies like FELCO, Corona and Fiskars all selling premium grade gardening tools they have already established a dominance in that market. .....
All good points, folks! :)

Still imho the SpyderSawis rather unique (concerning pack size/packbulk and weight for the blade length you get) and would have its place in a special niche:

Size / weight:
The Spydersaw weighs only 3oz, but offers a 4.9" blad
The most comparabla Silky Saw (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz), while the blade is just a tiny fraction longer (5.1")
Also, while the Silky certainly will have better ergos in prolongued use due the rounded, more handfilling handle:
The Spydersaw should pack very slim due to ist flat handle scales, while being closed just a tad longer than lets say a Police 4

So: For the weight and probably size of a Sliky Pocket boy one could bring a Spydersaw AND lets say a Pac Salt... and so the Spydersaw should be great whenever:
- If weight and pack size is a concern,
- If one even just heads out with almost no package for doing a bit of bushcraft and firemaking and perhaps wants to carry folder and saw IN the pocket (and yes, the Spydersaw has a pocketclip!)
- If one throws the saw just in an emergency outdoor kit (again, a saw is very helpfull for making clutches, splints, shelters!)
- And: A doublebladed folder in Spydersaw-size (saw and knifeblade) would still be lighter and more compact than a comparable Silky SINGLE bladed saw

@Vivi: Sure a longer folding saw is a lot better for bushcrafting, but the Spydersaw has at least almost a 5" blade, and by that clearly longer than the saws at most multitools

@ JDSpydo: Of course you don´t have to think of the Spyderco as an competitor to actual folding gardening tools! But, as said above, as a very compact, lightweight, and very carryable tool you throw in your pocket or bag when you otherwise would not bring a saw at all (again: Spydersaw AND Pac Salt together don´t weigh much more than a single Manix 2 S30V)

@standy99: Sure the Spydersaw would be something for situations when one won´t go fully equipped for camping and then bring an axe! Plus: Even a small saw can do things an axe can´t (and vice versa)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Could we get a Spydersaw as a salt? That's a niche that I'm not aware that anyone fills. I'd buy several.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Guess I’ll chime in…first and foremost I would most definitely buy a Spydersaw for numerous reasons namely size/wt and it’s a Spyderco for crying out loud…with that being said we use a Silky Zubat 330 Professional Arborist Edition and there’s nothing that even comes close, but definitely not apples to apples.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm happy with this for a light & compact saw:

I have sven saws and an agawa boreal saw when size is less of an issue.

I couldn't imagine going smaller than the bahco on a trip where I expected to use a saw, just like I couldn't see myself going smaller than a fiskars X7 when it comes to hatchets.

The spydersaw would be at least 4x the price of the bahco and perform worse. I'll take the extra ounce or two and pack the laplander. I can find them for $30....with a mora style knife included.

If anyone is really interested in one of these, there's one on ebay for a stupid price. Won't sell so maybe try messaging the seller and making a reasonable offer.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just throwing it out there....if we handled everything with the mentality of "why would I buy that when this exists" there is a very good chance this forum wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be knife enthusiasts since there is usually a better tool for any job a pocket knife can be used for. And to be honest, there are subjectively better knives than Spyderco so again why are we here? Because we like what we like and want what we want regardless of whether it's the best possible option. I think the point of threads like this should be to stir up ideas, not to stomp them out with this kind of stance. There is absolutely nothing stopping Spyderco from deciding to make a Spydersaw 2 that outperforms a Silky, but we'll never know because the idea is squashed before it's seen through.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I use a Silky.
IMG_0242.jpeg
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi