Manix 2 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MidnightCoalCo.

Manix 2 LW

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

Just out of curiosity, I wonder why we don't see that many variations/exclusives for the Manix 2 LW. It seems like the Manix 2 is a very popular model and making it lightweight only sweetens the deal. Shoot if DLT Trading released a Manix 2 LW in either OD Green or Tan FRN with s90v/Cruwear/or 20CV I would easily buy 2 or 3 of them! I love my lightweight models for when summer time rolls around and the Manix 2 is awesome, I just wish we could see more variations of it.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Manix 2 LW

Post by apollo »

The Manix LW has more then variations enough it has its multiple standard variations and a healthy number off exclusives and sprints so the model gets more then enough attention.
The G10 model is and will always be the flagship so its normal that one gets the most attention. Only the poor Manix XL can complain that guy never gets any love from Eric. The thing still does not even have an s110v variant let alone sprints.
MidnightCoalCo.

apollo wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:49 am
The Manix LW has more then variations enough it has its multiple standard variations and a healthy number off exclusives and sprints so the model gets more then enough attention.
The G10 model is and will always be the flagship so its normal that one gets the most attention. Only the poor Manix XL can complain that guy never gets any love from Eric. The thing still does not even have an s110v variant let alone sprints.
You are probably correct, I still consider myself pretty new to the Spyderco world so the only exclusives I was aware of were the Cutlery Shoppe model and I believe The Knife Joker one, both of which were long gone by the time I discovered them and then the most recent BladHQ M4 version which to be honest I have never been a big fan of that mint green color. So I guess from my perspective I am only aware of three exclusive models, I'm sure there are more that I missed since I have only recently gotten into really hunting down certain models.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

there have been a lot of exclusives over the years. my first manix was an xhp exclusive from knife center. all we really need now is the magnacut m2lw salt to be released and no one will ever need another pocket knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:35 pm
there have been a lot of exclusives over the years. my first manix was an xhp exclusive from knife center. all we really need now is the magnacut m2lw salt to be released and no one will ever need another pocket knife.

And one with serrations. I want a SE Manix 2 LW SO BAD!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Definitely a salt manix lw full serrated magnacut in Translucent yellow!!! Best summer time knife ever!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Approximately 10 lightweight models have been released when including standard variants . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MidnightCoalCo.

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:49 pm
Approximately 10 lightweight models have been released when including standard variants . MG2
Thanks for the info! So realistically outside of the six standard variants that are offered there have only been 4 exclusive lightweight models? Two from Cutlery Shoppe, one from BladeHQ, and one from The Knife Joker?
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

prndltech wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:00 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

☝️
Yup, me too.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can probably get serrations cut after market. I had some done on a CruWear manix several years ago, but I can't find that service on the website of the people who did it for me anymore.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 pm
You can probably get serrations cut after market. I had some done on a CruWear manix several years ago, but I can't find that service on the website of the people who did it for me anymore.

But can those aftermarket serations compete with a real spyderedge?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:00 pm
prndltech wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

☝️
Yup, me too.

Actually one of the biggest "whys" to me - I mean, that not at least the BD1N LW Manix does come in an SE version.

They actually DO BD1N SE in Golden (Para 3 LW...), it should be a steel that is not too hard on the grinding wheels and later on customers sharpening devices.

In my layman opinion an SE Manix 2 LW would certainly sell well:

- It is obviously a very popular EDC choice, and I figure many would like to have an SE option - just occasionally or as their main Manix choice (like it would be in my case)

- And there´ll certainly also be folks who´d get one "just" for "collectors reasons" - so "just" to own the new variant.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:

Would be interesting if the G10 model really is "the flagship" just when it comes to sales numbers?! Really can´t tell. Both G10 and FRCP variants seem to be very popular.

Anyway, I am completely with you that the LW has a enough and "covering the spectrum" very well variants with the standard BD1N, SPY27 and S110V.
Plus sprints and exclusives (like my beloved REX 45 Manix LW)

If an MC salt LW will come too, I think pretty much every need and preference should be covered "steel-wise" in the Manix LW realm.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 pm
apollo wrote:

If an MC salt LW will come too, I think pretty much every need and preference should be covered "steel-wise" in the Manix LW realm.
I predict the G10 and the Lw getting a Salt version. The LW probably with the for me personally not so wonderful yellow frcp color and the g10 i see them making with the same Magnacut and 3d scales of the pm2 that was on the Amsterdam meet.
engine

Post by engine »

My Manix 2lw- both did and did not meet my expectations. I should note that this is my first Spyderco knife.
Positive: quite large and robust knife for its weight. I think it's functional. It has an excellent grip, and playing with folding the blade is very interesting.
Negative: The plastic sides look very cheap. The fit is not ideal, there are asymmetrical gaps on the plastic sides of the knife. Finishing is not even close to the price of almost $200, which comes out with shipping, customs, taxes. Competition for twice less money gives more in this field. y fellow hunter told me it looks like it's from Aliexpress.
Spyderco has "something" so I would buy another knife, but this time it will be a "hard core Spyderco" like the Para2 or Para3 in G10 sheaths.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

engine wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:50 am
My Manix 2lw- both did and did not meet my expectations. I should note that this is my first Spyderco knife.
Positive: quite large and robust knife for its weight. I think it's functional. It has an excellent grip, and playing with folding the blade is very interesting.
Negative: The plastic sides look very cheap. The fit is not ideal, there are asymmetrical gaps on the plastic sides of the knife. Finishing is not even close to the price of almost $200, which comes out with shipping, customs, taxes. Competition for twice less money gives more in this field. y fellow hunter told me it looks like it's from Aliexpress.
Spyderco has "something" so I would buy another knife, but this time it will be a "hard core Spyderco" like the Para2 or Para3 in G10 sheaths.

Sorry that you don´t like your Manix 2 LW (honestly!)

But on the "cheap looking plastic sides":

- Actually this is FRCP, like FRN a great handle material and actually in a way "stronger" (perhaps technically not the right term, but I can´t find any better) and more durable than G10 (see these two posts for that, actually about FRN, but I am sure pretty much the same is true for FRCP viewtopic.php?t=89908&start=80#p1532157; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94777#p1713847)

- FRCP is not a "cheaper" material than G10 (perhaps FRCP knives are "cheaper" to produce, as soon as the expensive molds have paid themselves off), it is a composite of copolymer and fiberglass, while G10 is of nylon and fiber glass as far as I know.

- You mean there are small gaps between backspacer and handle sides, I assume?
I respect if that bothers you, but it does not impair ergos by any means imo and also not that this thing is exremely strong, rigid and durable for being linerless and so light.

I hope (honestly!) that the G10 PM2 or Para 3 will be more to your liking (honestly!) - though I think the Manix LW is not less "hardcore Spyderco" then those two.

And: Both PM2 and Para 3 will actually have a huge gape between the handle scales by design, cause there is no backspacer at all ;). THIS actually CAN impair ergos a bit when using the knife really hard (while the Manix LW has a nice, smooth completely closed back, just like a fixed blade)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

apollo wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 pm
apollo wrote:

I predict the G10 and the Lw getting a Salt version. The LW probably with the for me personally not so wonderful yellow frcp color and the g10 i see them making with the same Magnacut and 3d scales of the pm2 that was on the Amsterdam meet.

Well...such scales could make me get my first G10 Manix, despite I personally don´t need a Salt version... :smlling-eyes
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

engine wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:50 am
Interesting comments, could you post and show your inferior Manix ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i agree that frcp looks and feels a little cheap and less attractive, but when i put my m2lw in my hand and used it, i stopped caring immediately. spyderco has a knack of making things that are less conventional, and perhaps less attractive to the eye, but that far surpass in use in such a way as to make the ugly beautiful.

every design isn't for every person, but spyderco offers enough variety that i think anyone willing to try them will find something that fits them perfectly.

as far as the se manix goes, i don't know why for sure, but i'm not interested at all in one. you know i love the manix and i love se knives, but i don't really want a se manix. i think it's because i view my manix as my regular, everyday cutting tool and i view my se knives as backup/emergency tools. for that role, i prefer longer blades, like the pacific salt, caribbean, and probably the stretch xl when that comes out in a salt. i also like my se knives to be less pointy (which i know won't be the case for the stretch), so the manix is less desirable in that role. that said, i would never say spyderco shouldn't make it. the manix is an excellent knife and probably should have spyderco's excellent serrations available.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:08 pm
mongo1958 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:00 pm
prndltech wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

☝️
Yup, me too.

Actually one of the biggest "whys" to me - I mean, that not at least the BD1N LW Manix does come in an SE version.

They actually DO BD1N SE in Golden (Para 3 LW...), it should be a steel that is not too hard on the grinding wheels and later on customers sharpening devices.

In my layman opinion an SE Manix 2 LW would certainly sell well:

- It is obviously a very popular EDC choice, and I figure many would like to have an SE option - just occasionally or as their main Manix choice (like it would be in my case)

- And there´ll certainly also be folks who´d get one "just" for "collectors reasons" - so "just" to own the new variant.
A combo edge in S30V is already being produced. All they need to do is extend the SE to full length. I'm sure it is easier said than done.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C101G2/418
Last edited by mongo1958 on Tue May 16, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.