Screw sizes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WyoJon

Screw sizes

Post by WyoJon »

Anyone have screw sizes or part numbers for spyderco knives? Particularly looking for dragonfly model screw sizes. Customer service will not provide anything other than selling me a clip for $10. I have bought several of these from spydercos, and get the same deformed screws that come on the knives from the factory. I have over a dozen spyderco models currently, have owned many more over the last decade. Quite a few are plagued by garbage screws. This seems to be an ongoing issue here, yet they refuse to provide any service here, i even offered to pay retail pricing yesterday to get screws. Turned down.

Benchmade, does not give me these issues. Any clip style I want, any screws I ask for, shipped to me free with loctate and a discount code everytime. Many of the spyderco models now exceed benchmade pricing. Im a big fan of spyderco, that is why I care enough to want a database of screw and hardware sizing.
Wartstein

Re: Screw sizes

Post by Wartstein »

Perhaps this viewtopic.php?t=83648#p1323834 and this [link deleted, was not the one I meant to post. Thanks, Giygas, for making me aware of this!] might help.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu May 11, 2023 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Are you outside the US or something? Did the policy on this change recently? I've called for screws a few times and got them mailed to me for free. I have had to call a few times to get them on it, but ultimately I've never been flat out told no you can't have any of our garbage screws.

You should invest in a thread checking tool like this since you seem to be having a lot of problems with screws.

With that and maybe a cheap micrometer you can measure any screw and I'm sure find them for sale somewhere.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:10 am
Perhaps this viewtopic.php?t=83648#p1323834 and this https://biobubblepets.com/how-to-choose ... dragonfly/ might help.
From the site you recommended:

"The pivot screw appears to be larger than the pocket clip, and the pocket clip appears to be the same size. Despite the fact that the screws are probably still okay, with a proper size key, I do not know what this size is. The number 1 is 16 divided by 16. I agree with you on the 0225 number. There is a problem with this model because the size marking has worn away. I know the metric of the item and used a good quality metric driver on mine. I had anrx wrench on my desk that I used to own."

Seems legit!
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I had to email pictures of the stripped screws I wanted replaced before they mailed out replacement screws to me recently.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Giygas wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
Perhaps this viewtopic.php?t=83648#p1323834 and this https://biobubblepets.com/how-to-choose ... dragonfly/ might help.

"The pivot screw appears to be larger than the pocket clip, and the pocket clip appears to be the same size. Despite the fact that the screws are probably still okay, with a proper size key, I do not know what this size is. The number 1 is 16 divided by 16. I agree with you on the 0225 number. There is a problem with this model because the size marking has worn away. I know the metric of the item and used a good quality metric driver on mine. I had anrx wrench on my desk that I used to own."

Seems legit!

:hushed-face :')

Thanks for pointing that out!

I actually linked the wrong page... had several open, and obviously accidently copy and pasted not the one I wanted to.
Will delete it in my post and see if I can find the one I meant again...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Giygas wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:12 am
Wartstein wrote:

Seems legit!
I think the clown that wrote that website was a stoner
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:30 am
Are you outside the US or something? Did the policy on this change recently? I've called for screws a few times and got them mailed to me for free. I have had to call a few times to get them on it, but ultimately I've never been flat out told no you can't have any of our garbage screws.

You should invest in a thread checking tool like this since you seem to be having a lot of problems with screws.

With that and maybe a cheap micrometer you can measure any screw and I'm sure find them for sale somewhere.
I appreciate that. You always have good advice. Ive tried calling and just get a mwssagw to leave a message. I live about 3 hours from the factory, ive been there, bought knives there, at the rodeos, from their website, bought clips from them etc, so they know i have their knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WyoJon wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:01 pm

I appreciate that. You always have good advice. Ive tried calling and just get a mwssagw to leave a message. I live about 3 hours from the factory, ive been there, bought knives there, at the rodeos, from their website, bought clips from them etc, so they know i have their knives.

I needed a pivot screw for a Ladybug a while back and they asked me to email them a picture of the knife, I did and it did take two times sending it but I did get it.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri May 12, 2023 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

WyoJon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:42 pm
Anyone have screw sizes or part numbers for spyderco knives? Particularly looking for dragonfly model screw sizes. Customer service will not provide anything other than selling me a clip for $10. I have bought several of these from spydercos, and get the same deformed screws that come on the knives from the factory. I have over a dozen spyderco models currently, have owned many more over the last decade. Quite a few are plagued by garbage screws. This seems to be an ongoing issue here, yet they refuse to provide any service here, i even offered to pay retail pricing yesterday to get screws. Turned down.

Benchmade, does not give me these issues. Any clip style I want, any screws I ask for, shipped to me free with loctate and a discount code everytime. Many of the spyderco models now exceed benchmade pricing. Im a big fan of spyderco, that is why I care enough to want a database of screw and hardware sizing.
I measured my Dfly screws with a caliper and they look to be M3(4.8mm long) for the clip and M2(4.5mm long) for the lock bar. The pivot is weird it measured 2.2mm. Thought it might have been out of tolerance but M2 is too small and M2.5 is to big to fit. It could be M2.3 but I have no way of checking.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hmm, Other than maybe a little loc-tite, I've never had a problem the screws of any Spyderco knives I have and that includes several Dragonflys. If I had one with a deformed screw I'd contact the W&R department and have them correct the issue
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Well I am still fighting spyderco warranty on this. Calling customer service I am sent to voicemail. My voicemails are not returned. None of my emails or web contact form ever get returned. Im ready to sell them parted out on ebay and buy benchmades again.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Even worse, my new from them tasman salt I purchased this year, that has never been disassembled, had the pivot screw rattle out while I was riding on my motorcycle. So now I have 3 knives that are missing pivot screws. Not very happy with spyderco right now.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:33 pm
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah sal is ripping us off. Loading his pockets selling us cheap taiwan screws. Then doesnt answer the phone or return emails.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Settle down dude, you've been going off in multiple threads now. Very strange to have your problem in 3 knives, but you've been given a couple, very simple, diy ideas. All you can do is continue to try and contact them if you think it's a screw issue, though I'm doubting that, it's likely a lube/adhesive problem.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I take these things apart all the time and I think I've only buggered up the head of one pivot screw about 6 years ago and it was my own fault. I had the wrong Torx bit in the driver. Plus I think I was trying to remove the fixed side of a D-shaped pivot. I cleaned up the screw head with a needle file and moved on.

All this stuff about soft screws. They can't be that soft. Use a good fittingTorx bit (Wiha etc) of the correct size and the proper technique to remove glued in screws and it's a non-issue

Side note: Is Nick Shabbaz still on YouTube? People actually still watch that guy?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:49 pm
Settle down dude, you've been going off in multiple threads now. Very strange to have your problem in 3 knives, but you've been given a couple, very simple, diy ideas. All you can do is continue to try and contact them if you think it's a screw issue, though I'm doubting that, it's likely a lube/adhesive problem.
Not sure how simple diy ideas of loctiting screws does me any good when i have no screws to loctite. I dont have this issue with my knives from: benchmade, kershaw, zt, buck, helle, schrade, chris reeves, or any of my spydercos boughr before 2023.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:49 pm
Maybe, at some point, one of you could be atleast a bit helpful and actually answer my question of what screw sizes I need to biy so I can fix this issue myself.