First PM2 question about Cruwear and Micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GT99

First PM2 question about Cruwear and Micarta

Post by GT99 »

So looking to pick up my first PM2 (bought the Smock then Shaman a week later and am now on a spyderco kick as I love both so far) I am having a **** of a time trying to decide on the s45vn with G10 or the cruwear with Micarta. Now it seemed like an easy decision at first, I like micarta (just not big on the brown but its OK) but the cruwear does it for me, but then I watched some videos and the flex on the scale is an issue, it would really bother me I think, not so much if the micarta was just open where the compression lock is like the shaman, but its a massive stretch, so I thought I could still get it and swap the scales but I guess thats not possible as the liners are different and wont accept most scales. Now if I get the s45vn, I already know I am a fan of spyderco G10 and it will be solid and I think the all blacked out PM2 looks great as is, if I really wanted Micarta I could easily swap it with some lotus scales which make it look even better. Is there any way around the cruwear version flex? are there any scales that will fit it even if not micarta? I really like the idea of cruwear for its added toughness.

can anyone speak on comparing both of these? does the flex bother you?

this wouldnt have even been an issue had the 15v not sold out in probably minutes
Albatross

Re: First PM2 question about Cruwear and Micarta

Post by Albatross »

The micarta does flex, but I have not encountered a situation where this was noticeable during actual use. I have both versions and you can't go wrong with either one.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have both the Crucarta scales are a nonissue with me . I would try to check one out before buying if you are uncertain. RCBladeworks is the only place I know that makes scales for the full liner PM2 . Very well made . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I only notice the flex when I'm looking for it. I do wish they would improve that area behind the lock with a little more material. But not really a big deal.
There is a recent thread about Hoback back spacers that might help with making the scales more rigid. I have not tried them though... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92279

You also have a couple Exclusive Cruwear PM2 options that are in stock. There could be more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.
DLT Trading's black DLC Cruwear & purple G-10... https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... wear-blade
KnifeCenter's black DLC Cruwear & smooth black G-10... https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP81GP ... -exclusive

If you go for the G-10 options, and you like their Flag Micarta scales... RippsGarageTech is having a 15% off sale for May the Fourth (ends tonight).
•• Beau
Stas

Post by Stas »

My PM2 Crucarta has the best action of all comp locks I own out of the box. The full liners look classy. It is the only PM2 I have a backup for.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Stas wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:13 pm
My PM2 Crucarta has the best action of all comp locks I own out of the box. The full liners look classy. It is the only PM2 I have a backup for.
Yep. Mine is the same. Best action of any PM2
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It doesn't bother me but if it bothers you then avoid it.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

The micarta by the lock doesn't bother me at all. I am unable to intentionally make it an issue.

However, the crucarta PM2 handle as a whole has a lot more flex than the g10 handles. I do feel it when using the knife hard, which I don't particularly like. I can change the blade centering by flexing the handle one way or the other, but it usually comes back to an equilibrium position.

Also, the pivot screws do sit on the micarta, which takes some compressive set. Use the (new) knife for a bit, and you will notice that the pivot has become looser. Tighten down the screws to where you like them, use is some more, and tighten again. Eventually things will settle in and the pivot will stop getting loose, as the micarta under the screw heads has taken all the set it will.

As far as action goes, my Crucarta PM2 has the best action I have ever experienced in a knife. Extremely smooth and free running, yet absolutely zero play side to side or front to back. Did take a bit to break in though. Happened at the same time as the micarta was settling in.
-AHAB
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have several PM2s, and the only one that doesn't have replacement scales is the CruWear Micarta. I really like the feel of those scales, flex and all. The flex is a non-issue for me.

My favorite PM2 scales are the Flytanium Lotus pattern, which I like even more. If I liked coated blades, I would get one of the CruWear PM2 exclusives and replace the scales with black Lotus scales, the OEM clip with a black one from MXG Gear, and the screws with black ones from Flytanium. That would be a wicked-looking knife, it would have the most comfortable scales available (for me), and it would have a CruWear blade, which I'd rather have than S45VN. But I don't care for coated blades.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I am very OCD about my Spydercos. I even see flex in the G10 models if I want to check for it (good way to center uneven primary grind blades :') )

But I have no issue with the CruCarta PM2. However, if you want custom scales for it RC Bladeworks does some on order. They even have a set in stock. They only deal in Micarta though.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I think it would be a shame for any PM2 lover to miss out on the CruCarta. If this design was released again with a different color of rough micarta, I'd buy one as well.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

My PM2 CruCarta is my most carried PM2 over the last year, and I have other Cruwear PM2s. Not concerned about flex, as I don't use my knives for un-knife things. It's the only PM2 I bought a backup for. As you can see in the pics, the micarta picks up the oils from your hand and takes on a sort of brick-red patina. I love the way it looks, and that mine is unique to my hand print. YMMV.

I also love the KnifeCenter Smooth Black G10 Cruwear exclusives, and the PM2 version is my second most carried. Love Cruwear.

The older CruCarta was perfect out of the box, the backup required a minor tune to the pivot.
Brian
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

As someone said best action on a knife. The little bit of flex is no issue at all, amazing knife you won’t be disappointed.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:50 am
If you go for the G-10 options, and you like their Flag Micarta scales... RippsGarageTech is having a 15% off sale for May the Fourth (ends tonight).
Has this finished already, can’t see anything on their website?
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

The flex is not such a big deal and youtubers always seem to find something to nitpick. However I like the G10 versions more for the amount of traction the scales provide and didn't keep my crucarta pm2 for that reason. I didn't notice the better action that several have commented on, but I didn't really give it much thought. You can't go wrong with either. Personally if I were needing a PM2 I'd get the DLT exclusive with the black cruwear blade and scale swap it when/if I got tired of the purple.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

spydergoat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:13 pm
The flex is not such a big deal and youtubers always seem to find something to nitpick.
It's been discussed on this forum by members who weren't looking for something to nitpick.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You cannot go wrong with either. I do like the feel and grippiness of the G10. I prefer it if I'm using it as a work knife. But the Micarta version is very classy. It is has a softer feeling to it which probably makes it a better EDC knife going in and out of the pocket. If they came out with a harder grippier Micarta for their next Crucarta model, I would prefer it. And if you are not a fan of the brown, you can always RIT Dye it. You can do it in a solid color or a fade.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Well, thanks for the replies. I really went back and forth, ordered it a few hours ago and even was tempted to call my dealer and switch my choice if it hasn't shipped, but I went with the crucarta, I figure I can always buy the other one down the road if I really don't like this one as much. Really hoping that large cutout doesn't bug me too much, but seems everyone on here is saying it's not so bad. Youtube guys do nitpick, just like the grivory on my bugout when I got it I didn't think it was nearly as bad as they said (I still ordered AWT scales same time to swap but felt it before I swapped them and wasn't as bad as said)
GT99

Post by GT99 »

(Deleted double post)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:10 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:50 am
Has this finished already, can’t see anything on their website?

I'm sorry, I saw this post too late. They posted the sale on IG. I'm assuming it was applied at check out.
•• Beau