Who needs a lanyard hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jerome Howard

Who needs a lanyard hole?

Post by Jerome Howard »

I have no use for lanyards on folders. So I slapped a deep carry clip I had in my drawer on my Stretch 2 XL. Now this large knife disappears in my pocket.

VooDooChild

Re: Who needs a lanyard hole?

Post by VooDooChild »

I would always rather have a lanyard hole, even if I dont use it.

Its a useful option to have and there is no downside to having one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Agreed. I still sometimes use my knives when I'm up on something tall and being able to add a lanyard is critical.
Skar

Post by Skar »

If climbing or fishing they can be useful in not losing your knife.
I don’t use them but they have their place.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd rather have one than not, unless it interferes with proper placement of the clip. The location of the clip is much more important to me than a lanyard hole.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've never used them, but I understand that many people do, and their presence on a knife doesn't bother me at all.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

every once in a while i feel like i want a lanyard and i put one on a knife. it's immediately in my way every time and i take it off almost as fast. the only one that has stayed is on my ladybug hawkbill salt. even that one frequently gets trapped under the blade when i close it. eventually it'll get cut and i'll put it on a keychain or something instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

For me personally I have no need for either but I think I would prefer a lanyard hole over a pocket clip. I prefer to just drop my knife into my pocket like I have been doing for many years.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

For a few reasons: 1) to provide addt’l space for a four finger grip on a small knife i.e. Dfly when gripping behind the choil…2) to attach a floating wrist lanyard while fishing…3) to tether to a harness while climbing…4) some people like the aesthetics of a lanyard and those are just my uses…go ask some CRK fanboys…or maybe don’t
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

CRK fanboy here! First thing I do is remove the lanyard and use a drop of adhesive to eliminate the tube from rattling.

Some lanyards look cool or have a cool bead. But their just not for me, so I could care less if knives had them or not. I guess all those weight saving junkies can appreciate the lanyard hole!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

When I go to the beach I put a lanyard on my salt knives.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

You can’t just put on an aftermarket lanyard hole! Seriously, though, they don’t bother me and I don’t personally use them. Lanyard holes are very important for some users, and I’m glad those users have them available.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I dont ever use them on folders. FB's maybe for a wrist lanyard.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I use them for small to very small folders instead of a pocket clip. My dragonflies, ladybugs, Manbug all have lanyards. Even one Delica has a bright orange lanyard and rides in my hunting pack, clip removed.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like them on Ladybugs but that's about it. I enjoyed making them but really don't like them dangling off my hip and don't get any other use from them on medium+ knives. On a Ladybug they create extra grip space and make one handed opening actually doable.

I leave them on Ladybugs even when they're not on my keys.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

Better to have it and don't need it than to need it and don't have it. In which case I sometimes add a hole myself. The same as with the pocket clips, on some knives I take them off, on some I leave them on..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

I like having them for attaching fobs. Makes my knives with deep carry clips easier to remove from the pocket and provides additional purchase for smaller knives.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I started using lanyards on fixed blades which rode deep in leather pouch sheaths. The lanyards really help to retrieve the knife reliably.

Then I started using them on small knives, like the Dragonfly, the Para 3, and the Bugout. Those knives are a lot better with a lanyard to extend the grip.

With the Bugout and the Para 3, I noticed it helped to retrieve them from the pocket. Now if I install a deep carry clip, there’s a 50% chance it gets a lanyard, too. With the Lynch clip, you can still have both.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

never used one, can't imagine I ever will.

Having them on my knife doesn't bug me since they stay out of the way, but if they went away I'd never miss them.

to me installing a deep carry clip and a lanyard seems silly when the stock pocket clip does the same job better with less fuss and expense.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Never used one. But I'm a thinkin on it. It might be nifty to have a lanyard on my Native Chief in black knitted paracord to draw the knife faster with the 5x5 Exo.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/