Salt 2 vs Native 5 Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razehound

Salt 2 vs Native 5 Salt

Post by razehound »

So I currently have a Salt 2 SE LC200N. However, I've been noticing the very similar Native 5 Salt SE LC200N. I'm wondering if it's worth picking one up to see if it could potentially replace my Salt. What do y'all think about these two knives?

I am purposely not going to say what my intended use is for either knife, nor say what I love about my Salt. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about the comparison between these two knives, in whatever realm that manifests. Thanks!
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
razehound

Re: Salt 2 vs Native 5 Salt

Post by razehound »

I suppose it might have been more clear/concise if I hadn't related it to myself at all.

A better way to put it:
These two knives are very similar. Have you handled both/either? How do they compare for you?
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I have both. I carry both periodically. I'm partial to the Native because I'm a choil guy and it subjectively feels better in my hand. It used to have a better point than the Salt 2 (don't ask, not my best decision making). Other than that I think their almost interchangeable. Carry what feels best to you.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I have both and prefer the N5. For me, the N5 handle is more filling for my XL hands and I like a forward/index finger choil in knives of this size. I find myself chocking up when working.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you want robust, the native is great. if you want a slicer, the salt is noticeably better. the salt is also noticeably more comfortable carrying iwb. both are great knives, but very difference in use and carry.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
z1r

Post by z1r »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:40 pm
if you want robust, the native is great. if you want a slicer, the salt is noticeably better. the salt is also noticeably more comfortable carrying iwb. both are great knives, but very difference in use and carry.

^^^ This. If I could only.have one knife, it would be a Native 5. I'm not a.huge Delica fan,.but love my LC200N Salt 2. It is especially easy to carry either IWB, or in the pocket of a set of trunks. Glad I have both!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Subjective of course, but to me the Salt 2 is far better than the Native 5 LW (I only had the S35VN version of the latter, but obviously know LC200 N steel)

- More cutting edge

- thinner, slicier, but still strong blade with "reenforced" tip (by that sheepsfootish shape)

- Lighter

- Better carry

- (For my L to XL hands) good, very comfortable four finger grip on the actual handle (Native too short there)

- Choking up on the Salt ricasso gives me more control and makes the Salt more stable in hand than choking up on the Native choil

Only slight pro for the Native: Better backlock
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d take the native every time. The handle fits my hand much better, you get a great 50/50 choil, and the back lock is built better. Extra bonus, you can get the Native in Magnacut now.

Both great knives, but I’m Native all the way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

The Salt 2 is a lot better for spreading peanut butter, because you can use the spine of that sheepsfoot tip. It feels like a bigger knife than the Native, probably because of the longer cutting edge. They do for sure carry differently. Native has a pointy tip, so decide if you want/need that.
-AHAB
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ladybug93 wrote:
This sums it up quite nicely.

I like them both for different types of use, so it’s not that one is obviously better.

To generalize I’d say the Salt 2 leans more towards EDC, camping, hiking and backpacking. Whereas the N5 is more of a work and general outdoor knife (hunting, fishing etc.)

On paper and in hand the Salt 2 feels like the better knife for me subjectively, but you do notice the difference in actual use. The N5 is as solid as a plastic knife will ever get. Action and lockup is 100% solid.
I also like how the edge sits lower compared to the handle on the N5. And there are times when a regular drop point makes more sense than a modified sheepsfoot.
Both good, just different.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Simple ergonomics competition for me, and I strongly prefer the Native. The Salt is a better slicer though with slightly thinner blade stock. The Native's belly profile is more versatile IMO, being a bit easier to use on flat surfaces while the Salt behaves closer to a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot, it isn't a major difference between the two but you might notice how much lower the tip of the edge is on the Salt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The Native Salt was my daily companion for about two years, and I loved it. But I'm not a huge fan of choils, and once I picked up first a Pacific Salt and then a Salt 2 in LC200N, those have spent far more time in my pocket. I'm still hoping we'll see a handle-forward Native Salt at some point, because I love the blade shape and the overall feel, but for now I gravitate much more strongly toward the Salt 2.

As far as functionality, I haven't found anything that one could do that the other couldn't. They may excel at different things but I there aren't many scenarios where I'd be distressed to have one knife instead of the other. Go with whichever one has the best ergonomics for you.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hate to answer twice in the same thread, but after consideration I have found something the Salt 2 can do that the N5 salt can't: be had with Wharncliffe blades. :cheap-sunglasses
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

ladybug93 wrote:
Ditto☝️
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 4:30 pm
I'm still hoping we'll see a handle-forward Native Salt at some point, because I love the blade shape and the overall feel, but for now I gravitate much more strongly toward the Salt 2.
The native is a weird knife for me. I have the SPY27 model and carrying it daily. I’m not a fan of finger choils but I keep coming back to this model even though the choil forced you to hold it in one manner. The handle feels just a bit short if I hold it behind the choil. Yet I can putting it in my pocket. I might pick up the native in magnacut though.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
razehound

Post by razehound »

Ended up grabbing the N5 just to compare...

First thing I notice is that it's much better for me ergonomically. The Salt now feels a little too small in my hands. I can get a more controlled grip closer to the blade due to that big 'ol choil. Haven't carried or cut yet, but the N5 definitely wins for ergos.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bemo wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:01 pm
Hate to answer twice in the same thread, but after consideration I have found something the Salt 2 can do that the N5 salt can't: be had with Wharncliffe blades. :cheap-sunglasses

I did a ghetto mock up with a utility blade stuck onto a Native and colored it up, I would buy one in a heartbeat but I'm not sure if the shape of the handle can accommodate a wharnie blade. The Lil Native seems to be shaped a little different in the handle.

I'm hoping this happens since the Lil Native got a wharnie version. If they make that in a MagnaCut Salt version it'll be my new box knife.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:28 pm
Bemo wrote:

I did a ghetto mock up with a utility blade stuck onto a Native and colored it up, I would buy one in a heartbeat but I'm not sure if the shape of the handle can accommodate a wharnie blade. The Lil Native seems to be shaped a little different in the handle.

I'm hoping this happens since the Lil Native got a wharnie version. If they make that in a MagnaCut Salt version it'll be my new box knife.
did you try closing it? the utility blade should fit in the handle next to the blade and you'd at least see if there's room for it. i doubt there is, but it would be interesting to see.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Native Salt for me.

Delica based handles have always fit my hand poorly. Natives are smaller than I prefer but perfectly comfortable in use.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:28 pm
Bemo wrote:

did you try closing it? the utility blade should fit in the handle next to the blade and you'd at least see if there's room for it. i doubt there is, but it would be interesting to see.

Yeah the tip hit the handle way before it was closed. The inside of this handle follows the curve of the blade pretty closely, that's why I'm not sure it can be done.
~David